What were your main takeaways from UFC 182

I don't think anyone besides maybe Cain could outwrestle Jones in a MMA fight.

Jones is #1 pound for pound, he's beaten more championship-caliber fighters than anyone. No one can compare at this point, not Aldo, not Cain, not DJ. Weidman could surpass him but he still has a way to go.

I want to see how Jury picks himself up from being outclassed like this.

Cerrone is the ultimate gatekeeper. He'll lose to a select few guys in the division and smash everybody else.

Marquardt is pretty much done. Hat's off to him, he's had a great career and he's a guaranteed top 5 all time at MW.

Horiguchi has a ton of promise, maybe between him and Cejudo we'll finally see someone give DJ a real challenge.

Burkman belongs in the UFC, he didn't look half bad against the monster that is Lombard even with his supposedly shitty camp.

Garbrandt is a star of the future, gonna be interesting to see where he can go from here.

I learned that it's perfectly acceptable for the UFC to blackout 2 hours of prelims with less than a days notice on fight pass, which up until then I was a strong proponent of.

And...honestly, UFC fans, especially Jones fans, are bigger Marks than pro wrestling fans.

Travis Barker tweeted during the prelims, and totally missed out on a Blink 182 reference. That's the main thing I took away.

I'll share mine. I'd like to hear others'.

1. I think Jones could realistically be HW champ if he tried. He took out a guy who is really one of the two top HW fighters in the UFC and didn't have much trouble. Cain would be a huge obstacle, but I wouldn't be surprised at a Jones win there.

2. Jones beats Gus easily next time or Rumble, if they square off instead.

3. Josh Burkman belongs in the UFC. I thought he looked good against Lombard and even won Round 1. That's saying a lot with such a tough comeback fight.

4. Nate Marquardt seemingly needs to retire. Love the guy, but he looked really bad against a mediocre fighter in B. Tavares.

5. Cerrone should fight Khabib next. Winner gets title shot.

6. Jury's prior resume wasn't really that tremendous; he may stay in Top 10 LW, but I don't think he'll ever be Top 5. His best wins were Diego Sanchez and Gomi, two guys on the downside of their career. Would be surprised if Jury is ever ranked #8 or higher again.

Agree with all your points, but Jury's best win was Michael Johnson, all his others were against mediocre or declining competition.

1.) DC is not a top 10 LHW

2.) If Brad Tavares is in the top 15 range at MW, CM Punk is gonna do some serious damage in this division

3.) Hector Lombard will never lose a round @ 170

Cerrone is a bad ass and should fight and shut up Khabib.

Cormier needs to stop writing checks his ass can't catch.

Hector Lombard will never be a champ at WW.

Nate should flip houses no career in fighting any more.

Jones is just a new breed of mma fighter people need to accept that now.

PPV's aren't worth $60 no matter what the hype going in; "great" fights are a random occurrence.

Seconded!! Unless it involves Saku or Fedor.. Then a break out the wallet like an asshole...

1) Felder is a serious threat at 155;

2) Jury will never fight for a major title as a result of his lack of mental fortitude;

3) Jones is, without question, the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

1) He beat Castillo..... Danny Castillo, he doesn't win the big fights to make him a bigger name.

2) He still has time.

3) Yep.

marquardt fought with zero killer instinct. I really thought that would be a fun fight against Tavares, but it turned out to be the worst one on the PPV.

To not doubt Jon, i really thought DC would do more and Jon showed glimpses of vulnerability but he's just too methodical and systematic in his approach of fighting.

Jones isn't just a great fighter. He's not just an all time GOAT in MMA. He's quickly becoming one of the all time great elite athletes. The guys who transcend because not only do they have ridiculous physical abilities, they also have the ability to simply will themselves to dig deeper than others to win.

Michael Jordan with the flu scoring 40 whatever pts. Ali in the war with Frazier. Some guys can just reach deeper and out-gut the other guy.

Jones was clearly tired after round 3 and even though I had him 29-28 I thought that the momentum was actually slightly shifting toward DC. Jones came out in round 4 and just flat outworked DC. He gets tagged, tired, whatever and he just figures out a way to push forward and break the other guy.

1.) DC is not a top 10 LHW

2.) If Brad Tavares is in the top 15 range at MW, CM Punk is gonna do some serious damage in this division

3.) Hector Lombard will never lose a round @ 170

DC isn't a top ten LHW?

I pick him over.. Rumble, OSP, Manuwa, Evans, Shogun... every LHW not named Jones.

I'll share mine. I'd like to hear others'.

1. I think Jones could realistically be HW champ if he tried. He took out a guy who is really one of the two top HW fighters in the UFC and didn't have much trouble. Cain would be a huge obstacle, but I wouldn't be surprised at a Jones win there.

2. Jones beats Gus easily next time or Rumble, if they square off instead.

3. Josh Burkman belongs in the UFC. I thought he looked good against Lombard and even won Round 1. That's saying a lot with such a tough comeback fight.

4. Nate Marquardt seemingly needs to retire. Love the guy, but he looked really bad against a mediocre fighter in B. Tavares.

5. Cerrone should fight Khabib next. Winner gets title shot.

6. Jury's prior resume wasn't really that tremendous; he may stay in Top 10 LW, but I don't think he'll ever be Top 5. His best wins were Diego Sanchez and Gomi, two guys on the downside of their career. Would be surprised if Jury is ever ranked #8 or higher again.

1. Would be interesting to see but beating Cain at what is a natural weight for Cain (DC should be light heavy but Cain is naturally much bigger) is a much different fight than fighting DC at Light Heavy.

2. Short memories- Not sure what about last night

Guchi looked great. 125 is healthy little dudes just need promotion.

Burkman can take a pounding almost as well as Sasha Grey.

Hector lol.

I don't know what to think about 155 after that. Was the Nate fight a fluke? He got touched up by Melvin before he won. Did he just get that much better? Jury was exposed. Made some white belt mistakes.

Bad gameplan by Cormier. Jones is the LHW GOAT. I think he goes undefeated in 2015 but having said that I think it's an ugly year for him and he probably loses and maybe even retires in 2016. He exposes more ch*nks in his armor every fight and I am pretty sure I know who has the style to beat him. Still 205 GOAT though.

cowboy save the card with those kicks :)

- Gravity is only a theory and does not apply to Shawn Jordan

- The octagon looks like a ballroom when flyweights fight

- Jones is a scary dude, and whatever you think of him he has such a extremely strong mindset when it comes to fighting.

- Jones has a very good chin and seems extremely hard to finish

- For me MMA lost a bit of it's charm now that most fighters master every aspect of the game and I don't like the shift from fighters to athletes. Especially the low ranked fighters that want to make a name for themselves tend to fight very carefully. Can't blame them though.

- Cerrone is a real fighter looking for the finish

1) He beat Castillo..... Danny Castillo, he doesn't win the big fights to make him a bigger name.

2) He still has time.

3) Yep.

1) That does not take away from the combat acuity he demonstrated.

2) Time will not help an individual that concedes in combat at the first sight of adversity. He will never attain a UFC title, ever. Bump this if it happens and I will eat the proverbial crow.

Back