What were your main takeaways from UFC 182

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by RexChapmanFan, Jan 4, 2015.

1. RexChapmanFan

RexChapmanFan Green Belt

I'll share mine. I'd like to hear others'.

1. I think Jones could realistically be HW champ if he tried. He took out a guy who is really one of the two top HW fighters in the UFC and didn't have much trouble. Cain would be a huge obstacle, but I wouldn't be surprised at a Jones win there.

2. Jones beats Gus easily next time or Rumble, if they square off instead.

3. Josh Burkman belongs in the UFC. I thought he looked good against Lombard and even won Round 1. That's saying a lot with such a tough comeback fight.

4. Nate Marquardt seemingly needs to retire. Love the guy, but he looked really bad against a mediocre fighter in B. Tavares.

5. Cerrone should fight Khabib next. Winner gets title shot.

6. Jury's prior resume wasn't really that tremendous; he may stay in Top 10 LW, but I don't think he'll ever be Top 5. His best wins were Diego Sanchez and Gomi, two guys on the downside of their career. Would be surprised if Jury is ever ranked #8 or higher again.

2. Fight Gone Bad

Fight Gone Bad Brown Belt

1. Im glad I didnt spar with Felder when I was in Philly
    2. Jones is the constantly evolving GOAT and no one will stop him at LHW
    3. Cormier will be the Faber of LHW until he retires in 2 years

3. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

I agree with all of your points. Good one TS. I like your style and your picks.

4. ib313

ib313 Imagine a Dystopian UFC

PPV's aren't worth $60 no matter what the hype going in; "great" fights are a random occurrence.

5. BrokenCage

BrokenCage Orange Belt

Cerrone is a boss, even if he does refer to himself as Cowboy all the time.

That's about it, really. I wasn't a huge Cerrone fan before last night, but now, I'm on board.

6. 0hm

0hm Brown Belt

1) Felder is a serious threat at 155;

2) Jury will never fight for a major title as a result of his lack of mental fortitude;

3) Jones is, without question, the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

7. ocs2304

ocs2304 Purple Belt

No one ever is beating Jones at LHW.....EVER

8. trunks

trunks Brown Belt

Agreed. Great observations. I think Jury has two years, though, to evolve into a top 5 guy or he never will be.

9. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

Agree with your first point.

Second point I totally disagree. Jury had the mental toughness to keep fighting out of the submissions Cowboy had him in....he's still young a green. And he fought Cerrone! Cowboy is one of the toughest LW on the planet.

Agree with number three to some degree....then you have Aldo.

10. Janne1

Janne1 Green Belt

HW would really have some cool matches for Jones. From my personal point of view it's boring he's cleaned the division out. Would be fun if he started cleaning HW out.

11. uppercutbus

uppercutbus Silver Belt

Jones leverage is too much DC can't get anything going.

12. rush61

rush61 Brown Belt

Zzzzzz

13. Tycho Brah

Tycho Brah You drink water, I drink anarchy Platinum Member

Don't fuck with Jones.
    Hesitation loses fights (and fans).
    Beard Cain is scary.

14. Cannon00

Cannon00 Orange Belt

1. Jones wrestling in mma is better than I ever thought. I don't think he has to worry about being outwrestled from anyone on the lhw roster.

2. Jones striking may have peaked. If he can't get Gus down in the rematch he probably takes more punishment than he did in the first match, and loses the belt.

3. We NEED to see Lombard fight a top 5 guy to determine how good he actually is at welterweight.

15. Despotic

Despotic Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

No I don't think so, or rather, too early to realistically determine either way on all your points. Felder looked great but really, calm your tits. Jury ran into a man that only a couple people at 155 can beat. Let's see how he looks in his next couple fights before we damn him to mediocrity. As for Jones, he's on par with GSP on the GOAT list but Anderson and Fedor are still more prestigious, imo.

16. 0hm

0hm Brown Belt

Jury, after the first, essentially conceded to Cerrone. His confidence was shattered the second he encountered adversity. He will never, ever, attain a UFC title.

17. 0hm

0hm Brown Belt

It is not too early to discuss the relative potential of a fighter, especially given the way Felder has looked in both of his outings. His defense is sound, his striking is supremely technical, he is crafty, and he is incredibly dangerous. It will be obvious when he fights a top 15 guy, you will see.

Not a chance that Jones is not the undisputed "GOAT" at this point. It is quite clear that he would make light work of each of the other individuals on the list, and his resume is massively impressive.

18. SherdogFan23

SherdogFan23 Brown Belt

I can relate with all of the comments except the one about Jury. I think it will take another fight at higher levels to make a call about him. Some fighters struggle on their first big fight.

19. Fight Gone Bad

Fight Gone Bad Brown Belt

Anderson and Fedor have highlight reels that would make casual people go whoa
    Aldo and Jones are the new generation of well rounded fighters that can do it all and neutralize their opponents strengths and make them look like weaknesses.
    GSP is GSP

20. Ivanov

Ivanov Green Belt

I can't stand him. People were calling him a "fake cowboy" for awhile because he was from rich suburban Denver (parents are doctors or something). Whatever. Regardless, his persona is so manufactured. It like he is trying to be a stereotype, it's pretty nauseating. He probably is a cool enough guy, it's his marketing...just lame.