What were you doing when you got the new on 9/11?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Alphaboy, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Alphaboy Silver Belt

Everyone alive at that time will remember exactly what they were doing when they heard the news.

What were you doing when you heard the news of the WTC attacks?

2. tmnpothead Teenage Mutant Ninja Pothead

Sitting in math class I believe 8th grade. We watched the news all day in school and no teaching was done for the rest of the day. Pretty sure gas prices doubled before I got out of school

3. Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

Waiting for class to start and wondering why only a few of us were in there. I was in college and didn't have cable, and I remember walking to class and noticing some people crying. At least I wasn't the only one in the dark about it as there were a couple handfuls of other students who found out at the same time in the classroom.

4. KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

Working. My manager told me a plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers. Like most people, I thought it was just a tragic accident. About half an hour later, we heard the news about the second plane...

5. DeJulez Silver Belt

I was so upset that I pounded the shit out of some lady that had a towel on her head
    Later found out she was just drying her hair.

6. PlayswellwithLawnDarts Banned Banned

At work
    Watching broadcast TV rerunning the same footage in a loop talking about wether it was an accident. Second plane hits and there was no confusing it for anything but mass terror.
    Going outside seeing every contrail in the sky making circles and being ordered back to the ground. Knew shit just got real.

7. Kitafuji Brown Belt

I was sitting in the San Diego airport waiting to go to Florida on business when all the flights were being canceled.
    I went back home and watched the news the rest of the day.

8. rj144 Gold Belt

I was finishing grad. school and running some code. Another student told me a plane crashed into the WTC... I thought it was a commuter plane. We set up a TV and started watching a bit and then the police evacuated the whole university due to a bomb threat. The school is next to a private airport, so I was wondering if anything was going to happen there. Went home and watched the towers collapse live as most did. Was nauseous and went to bed at like 5 pm. The whole day was surreal.

Infamously, that said airport was where a few of the hijackers took flight lessons.

9. Zer Steel Belt

Was my first day of boarding school and we were all settling into our dorms. We were all British military kids, so we were talking about our Dads having to go off to ruin someone's shit

10. MXZT Red Belt Platinum Member

I was sleeping and I woke up to my father and I believe my brother watching it on TV. And than I saw it on TV, it was very surreal moment really. I had no idea what was going on.

11. JabToucher Banned Banned

I was exiting my last class of the day when two lads were talking about a tower falling down in New York. Minutes later when in the car ride home, the driver told me it was a terrorist attack and put on the radio to listen to the news.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  12. MikeMcMann Banned Banned

I'm old. So I was in my office.

i had some business partners and we had just taken over a small office in Scotia Plaza in downtown Toronto on the 51st floor. so we over looked the lake. We had a big screen tv in the lounge and watched that crap live. We were very connected to events as we had one former colleague who had left and was working in one of the World Trade Towers (one that did not fall) so we were worried for him specifically beyond the general worry.

Then as things were winding up, many/most of the US planes that were in the air were being diverted to Canadian airports instead of US. We could actually see the increased air traffic out over the lake heading towards Pearson Airport. Toronto's Pearson airport took in quite a few. I remember having a talk with one of the business partners saying "i know it may seem like an over reaction but we should probably send the staff home and leave the office tower". Scotia Tower is the 2nd or 3rd tallest tower in downtown Toronto and my view was that if there were any terrorists on other planes that got diverted to Canada they might suddenly realize they were being diverted, think the gig was up, and want to over take the planes and crash into any tall building they could find, even if it was not their original target.

We did end up sending everyone home and clearing the office.

Our old colleague/friend had just come out of a subway station a few blocks away from the Twin Towers when he said he saw the first plane fly over head and crash into the building. He continued walking towards the office and then the second plane hit. He turned and went home. He had two colleagues/friends die in the building collapse.

13. SammyPops Gold Belt

Playing Microsoft Flight Simulator.

14. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

Working at a greenhouse, picking sunflowers. It wasn't known as an attack at that time, and my boss just came around the corner and told us that some fucking moron crashed into the WTC.

Hit the lunch break, and listened to Stern's play by play on the radio. It didn't really hit me how serious it was until I saw the footage when I got home.

15. loyalyolayal Steel Belt

I found out all about it the next day. Passed out drunk or about to.

16. ROKKO Green Belt

I was walking my dog ROKKO for his morning poop in the community area before I left for work when my brother yelled from the door for me to see this so I went back to my apt. I think I saw it after the second plane hit. I can't remember. I went to work but I think they let everyone go home. I really don't remember how the rest of the day went not because I'm infinitely compassionate and I was in a haze just the morning was the most memorable part. the rest of my day was not saved to memory.

17. AlexDB9 Banned Banned

I was in 5th grade and all I remember is my teacher storming out of the classroom after someone told her something in her ears. Apperantly her son was in NY at the time

18. rd2play White Belt

I was in Germany and I heard about it hours later. Told my wife "war is coming" and later on watched some CNN International (the only English language channel available).

19. MMA since 1993 ____________ Banned

I was sitting in pottery class.

The teacher burst in the door (maybe he was talking to another teacher outside?) And said turn on the tv. The 1st plane had already crashed, and we saw the 2nd one crash live.

I couldn't believe what i was watching. You could tell things were gonna be different after that happened. My chemistry teacher (guess he left after he heard the news, and we had a sub for that class) lost his sister that day.

That's pretty much what was talked about during every class.

20. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

I was in gr. 8, and our principal came in with the news. I had no idea WTF she was talking about until when I got home and my folks told me about it. Course, I didn't know what the towers were and what they repped at the time, and the parents had to reiterate it a few times.