What were you doing half your life ago?

last year of high school, first year of boozing

University. Drinking. Not getting laid.

Mostly the latter two...

14 so playing alot of halo ce and agressively masterbaiting alot i reckon.

Drunk somewhere in Ontario. I think. Can't remember much.

Graduating college... crap, time flies.

College...

And just missed signing up for the military a few months before 9/11...
Were you happy or pissed about that timing?

I was in high school hating my life.

I was fifteen and a half, stunk, depressed, disturbed, videogame addicted and about to culminate my low score GCSES.

Why did you do it? Genuinely curious.

I was in a very philosophical place in my life when I was 17-19 and had done a lot of reading on different eastern and western philosophies and religions. I was also very discontent with many things that I saw in life and the world that I was looking for answers for. Buddhism matched what I had been thinking and feeling about pretty much everything. So I went head on into that journey. I entered monastic life when I was 20, left when I was 24.

I made a thread years ago that goes into a lot more detail, but I think it was lost after the site was hacked years ago.

Last edited:
22, I just finished my first semester back at school after quitting work at a gas station trying to figure out what i wanted to do with my life. If you younger guys ever need motivation to figure some life things out, pump gas in the heat and the freezing cold while dealing with white trash all day. Job sucked, but it definitely inspired me to stop dragging my heels and study hard.

One sec... Gonna do some algebra to figure out your age. 34?

I was already in college at the time but was on one of those, is this for me or not semesters.

Was contemplating taking the summer off and possibly the next semester. My entire family are military except for a hand full of us.

Back then most people looked at joining the military to travel and get money for college after you served, since there were no wars.

I contemplated it big time, even met with a few recruiters..

But figured naw, I'm almost finished just stick with school.. took only the summer off and went back.

Few months later we were at war and I would have been fresh out of boot.. would have been a completely different life imo.

As I'm an odd number rounding down on this day basic training for reserves. The year after working as a mover and video games.

Were you happy or pissed about that timing?

I was in high school hating my life.

Honestly I don't really know, think about it a lot actually..

As I stated before, I come from a pretty military/gov family so service was kinda the thing to do.. as a kid I was all in for it but I had pretty decent grades and a hs gf at the time. So we opted for the college route and not the military life.

It boggles my mind knowing with the timing that I would have been fresh out of boot well people in DC were signing off on papers to send us off to war..

Joining the army at 16. Just so I could wait my whole senior year to go to basic training. I really jumped the fucking gun on that one. I made an 8 year commitment at 16. What the fuck was I thinking? I was better off buying a car.

21-22 working first engineering job living in downtown KL Malaysia.

Drinking heavily and pulling game like crazy.

Was too easy, like shooting fish in a barrel. Took some getting used to being back in the US and haveing to do more than just stand there and have girls attacking you and fighting over you pretty much.

Realizing my health was fucked and that i was done with serious sports.

Back