What was your worst subject during college/university?

I took an social science undergrad and needed 1 science credit. I took a science in society type 1st year course and it sucked and I sucked at it.

My grade was in the low 60% I think.

I'm halfway through an IT degree and I find the programming units the most study time intensive. Ethics and the other non-technical units have been criminally easy, especially business ones, but learning fundamental programming languages from scratch took the most effort. I did understand them quite easily though and just had to put the standard work in.

The only subject that really crippled me was Statistical Analysis. I had to re-read and try activity-after-activity to understand concepts. I was never a math guy in school, but knowing how to apply the right statistical formula to a set of data was a very special fucking nightmare. By the time I got it, it seemed to reset from my brain within hours. I had to basically reabsorb the whole semester before my exam because my brain hated it all so much.

I only just passed that unit in what is otherwise a respectable GPA.

What subjects fucked you over in your course?

I don't think it's possible to graduate with a degree in CS and be a worse coder than I am. My method was basically to stare at the screen until I had an epiphany, which only works when you don't have 5-6 other course loads breathing down your neck.

Managed somehow to get away with never taking Object Oriented programming yet still get all the degree requirements.

I sucked at calculus during my undergrad. The subject was so dry and abstract. Flash forward to last year when I was taking an MBA economics class where we covered how calculus is used to determine optimal pricing strategy and suddenly everything made sense. The context of why and how you learn things makes a huge difference.

fluid dynamics. only class that i ever got a D in and thats after dropping it the first time as well. Organic Chem comes close just because of how awfully boring it was, but I got a C+ in it the second time around.

It makes no sense, but I was always far better at physics than I was at chemistry.

It does make sense. A lot of people can understand physics naturally because we see how the world around us reacts on a daily basis as we grow up.

Physics is intuitive. Chemistry is memorization.

math:
-college algebra (teacher was from africa and couldn't understand his accent)
-calculus (just hated it to death and had no use for it)
-stats (don't even need an explanation)

Statistics. It would have been accounting if it wasn't pass/fail.

Another one for statistics. I excelled in math and accounting, but statistics was tricky for me.

I will be taking programming this term and really dreading it.

Database Systems has been by far the hardest course I have taken. It is basically programming combined with theoretical database concepts and database design.

i took intro to computer studies as a bird course (definition)

it was really basic computer knowledge, how to save files and use ms office.

it was so easy that i didn't care and skipped every single class. i almost failed it.

I did pretty well in uni, but I tended to have more difficulty in qualitative subjects - sociology, anthropology etc.

I like being either right or wrong - the ambiguity in qualitative assessment always bothered me.

I was an econ/stats major, but I was forced to satisfy a breadth requirement that had me taking courses in alot of the softer sciences. It was actually really useful though - exposed me to an entirely different style of thinking and some very interesting profs/students.

math:
-college algebra (teacher was from africa and couldn't understand his accent)
-calculus (just hated it to death and had no use for it)
-stats (don't even need an explanation)

I had a teacher from Jamaica or something for calculus, LOL

And I already struggle with math.

I had a teacher from Jamaica or something for calculus, LOL

And I already struggle with math.

lol same. I suck at advanced kinds of math and having a teacher i can't understand doesn't help. Also didn't help that he always had on fisherman gear and listened to country music in his office . Very distracting

I got a C in fluid dynamics my final year. I really didn't put any effort into the class at all.

Any Math course. I've always hated Math.

Not because I was in-capable, I just found it the most boring and I have ADD. I would rarely learn anything in class because I never paid attention and I'd never do the work. I needed a tutor to sit one on one with me so someone could re-explain the material and would make sure I actually did it.

lol same. I suck at advanced kinds of math and having a teacher i can't understand doesn't help. Also didn't help that he always had on fisherman gear and listened to country music in his office . Very distracting

He sounds like quite a catch

Communication Theory.

It was straight up memorization of TONS of stupid shit. The exams were all fill in the blank or finishing sentences. Just straight memorization. It was absolutely awful. It didn't help that I completely forgot we had a test and I got something like a 30. By far the worst grade in my entire schooling career.

The professor was notorious for being shitty, absolutely everyone hated her and gave her bad reviews.

Without a doubt it was organic chemistry. Might as well have been learning advanced fucking hieroglyphics. Nothing is intuitive about that subject, so it's hard to learn pattern recognition. There's a ton of unintuitive memory work.

Math, in any way shape or form. Anything more complicated than 2+2 and I was completely lost.

Back