What was your worst subject during college/university?

spannered

Real men don't wear belts
@Black
Reaction score
I'm halfway through an IT degree and I find the programming units the most study time intensive. Ethics and the other non-technical units have been criminally easy, especially business ones, but learning fundamental programming languages from scratch took the most effort. I did understand them quite easily though and just had to put the standard work in.

The only subject that really crippled me was Statistical Analysis. I had to re-read and try activity-after-activity to understand concepts. I was never a math guy in school, but knowing how to apply the right statistical formula to a set of data was a very special fucking nightmare. By the time I got it, it seemed to reset from my brain within hours. I had to basically reabsorb the whole semester before my exam because my brain hated it all so much.

I only just passed that unit in what is otherwise a respectable GPA.

What subjects fucked you over in your course?

Calculus II because I never did the homework or bothered to learn the material until the night before the test. That was always my problem with math and one of my regrets in life - not doing my fucking math homework... EVER. Like I never ever did that shit in middle school, high school, college. I wish I had.

It makes no sense, but I was always far better at physics than I was at chemistry.

College was ok because you get to pick out the shit that you study, but French language lessons sucked a fat hairy **** in high scool.

Actually it is hard to have a bad subject outside of your major.

Your general requirements are at a very low level. 100 and 200 level classed are kind of a joke in most cases. Things don't firm up until a handful of the 300 level classes and in most cases not until the 400 level. You can easily graduate and only know enough to get you in trouble in some majors.

Statistics. I've ranged between decent and good in all other mathemathical subjects I've had, but I could never get a handle on statistics. I passed the first exam by the skin of my teeth, failed the statistics part of the second (100-hour statistics and macroeconomics at-home exam where you're not supposed to cooperate with your fellow students, otherwise known as five days in hell) despite cooperating, and only passed the subject because the first exam counted for 60% of the grade.

My sister is due to hand in her PhD in statistics in a few months, I like to think that she sucked up all the available talent for it.

Maths and Geography. Maths in particular I could never grasp.

When I did A-Levels I hated English Language, it was beyond tedious.

In high school easily slovak, but thankfully I got rid of that aftar graduating.

I learned IT in college, but we had some mandatory electrical engineering courses. There was a course when out of ~200 students only 10 passed. Those were the worst by far.

Genetics was a nightmare. Weird that I was teaching it only a few years later.

Constitutional law.

Our professor was one of the people who had written our national constitution, and he was adamant on everyone being an expert in order to pass.

math in college. I was in an alternative math program throughout highschool called problem solving where we would solve like one problem a week that involved numerous components and some outside the box thinking. Then went to basic algebra stuff in college like solving for X and balancing equations and what not and i really struggled. Now a decade later i study non stop for math in my career and i have made it my strength to the point im teaching a bunch of the other guys at work the math needed to pass their state exams.

Statistics. I've ranged between decent and good in all other mathemathical subjects I've had, but I could never get a handle on statistics. I passed the first exam by the skin of my teeth, failed the statistics part of the second (100-hour statistics and macroeconomics at-home exam where you're not supposed to cooperate with your fellow students, otherwise known as five days in hell) despite cooperating, and only passed the subject because the first exam counted for 60% of the grade.

My sister is due to hand in her PhD in statistics in a few months, I like to think that she sucked up all the available talent for it.

Was this statics class E270. Statistics for Econ majors?

Sociology of Race, Class and Gender. It was supposed to be an easy passing grade on a core requirement, and it could have been, but it was nonsense. I couldn't bring myself to attend. Somehow I passed, which is absurd too..

Statistics and accounting. Easy enough if you just pay attention, I just hated them so much I skipped a few classes, and would be completely lost when I came back since I pretty much refused to open a book in college unless I was cramming for a test. Those classes dragged down by GPA for sure.

Accounting II because I had it at 8AM during my hardest partying semester of my college career. I'm really good at math, but I missed that class at least 1/3 of the time and was hung over for it another 1/3 of the time. Ended up with a 100% test average, but only a 20% quiz/homework average... which fortunately still allowed me to get a B-.

I was dumb enough to take a "peace studies" class because I thought it had easy A written all over it... which it did... but it required you to get up in front of the class and give a presentation every week or 2... which being a generally shy/quiet person I hated with a passion at the time, albeit it probably did me some good.

Last edited:
Math.

I scored a 2 on the math portion of the ACT test.

You got a 1 just for signing your name to it.

Most everything else I tested out of.

It makes no sense, but I was always far better at physics than I was at chemistry.

I was to. I barely made it past chemistry and I'm pretty sure I barely failed but was given a bump just to pass.

Physics was easy to me because it was more math like and I'm good at math as long as I pay attention.

Back