What was your GOTY for 2014 across all platforms?

jerzey devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
@Gold
Reaction score
Most of the 2014 games have been released already. I don't think anything left will contend. Here are some nominations (need some help with PC and PS4 nominations):

Multiplatform

Destiny
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Far Cry 4
Watch Dogs
The Evil Within
FIFA 2015
EA UFC
NBA 2K15
Diablo 3 (console editions)
Shadow of Mordor
COD: Advanced Warfare
Alien: Isolation
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Assassin's Creed: Rogue
Dark Souls 2
GTA V
Titanfall

Wii-U

Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros

PS4

Infamous: Second Son
The Last of Us Remastered

XBOX One

Halo: Master Chief Collection
Forza Horizon 2

PC

Civilization: Beyond Earth
Divinity: Original Sin

Last edited:
I haven't gotten to play enough Dragon Age, so right now my vote is still for Divinity: Original Sin on PC

Damn I thought Dark Souls 2 was last year. My bad, it's been added.

I wasn't going to add GTA V and TLOU because they were really 2013 but I guess they've each added enough to make it onto this year's list. Well I know GTA V added enough but I haven't played TLOU Remastered to say if it did or didn't add anything new.

Kinda a weird year for game releases. Most of the games I have really enjoyed came out last year or are in beta this year and coming out next year.
Of games I can give a honest review of I have
-Transistor
-Mario Kart 8
-Warframe ( I believe it technically released this year after forever in beta)
-Dark souls 2

Games that I haven't played but think would get attention from me:
-Civ beyond earth
-Bravely default
-Fire emblem

That isn't to say I haven't played really fun games this year. But most of them have been super short indie games or games in development.
To Me when you talk GOTY it is like talking about athletes in the HOF if they are not a obvious choice I don't vote for them. I don't want to hang the title of GOTY on some game just because it existed in a weak period of games. I want to vote for GOTY because while I was playing it I kept thinking about how amazing it was and how it was GOTY material while I was playing it.

Of the games I've played so far it's between Mario Kart 8, Destiny, and GTA V.

Destiny.

Breath of fresh air, that game.

One of the least remarkable years in gaming...

Do people still play Titanfall?

It wasn't a good year that's for sure. I'd like to say destiny but I can't. I guess my vote goes to Diablo 3 ROS.

One of the least remarkable years in gaming...

I think this year has been pretty good. Like I said in the other post the timing just worked out that a lot of great games came out last holidays and many of the upcoming games aren't going to make it this year.
A ton of awesome smaller games just not much in the way of GOTY material.

I don't have an Xbone or PS4 yet but I do have a Wii U, 360 and PS3.

The only games that I own that came out this year are Mario Kart 8 and Dark Souls II. DSII I haven't touched yet since I bought Demon's Souls and Dark Souls I and II all at once a week ago so I'm working my way through the series.

Mario Kart 8 is a great game but it's pretty limited in some ways too. Coming from playing tons of xbox live talking with friends regardless of what games they are playing I can honestly say I was disappointed by the interface between friends on the Wii U. Picking from pre-written lame text to talk with people is useless.

Aside from that though the game itself is real good and the new DLC is also really nice although it doesn't have a ton of draw for me to come back to it just because of the lack of communication between players when this game is primarily played online.

I do agree though that this year has not been great for games and it's a big part of the reason I still don't have an Xbone or PS4 yet, although the Xbone is in my near future with these black friday sales..

How so?
(Not being snarky, just that isn't how I would describe it. )

That's how it felt to me. It looked and felt (not entirely) different than most of whats out there. They keep doing the same games over and over again with new maps, guns, slight improvements and off they are. This one, though it took elements from other games, it felt as an actual new game.

Back