What was the most out of line thing Dana/UFC have ever done.

I think the way he talked to Miesha saying You and You come here. He don't talk to Rousey that way! Take in mind he's speaking to an adult female.

I remember when he did that. It was really assholish.

Lots to choose from.. but my immediate thoughts took me back to the Loretta Hunt rant. He went ahead and used pretty abusive language about her and then went on to gaybash for no logical reason.

Not sure I agree with that.

It only took a few hours for the hardcore GSP fans to start believing he edged that decision, but at the time, it absolutely stunk to high heaven. That fight was 48-47 Hendricks and it was very clear. As I remember it literally all of the major MMA media outlets had the fight 48-47 Hendricks without a shadow of a doubt. When GSP was read out as the winner Twitter, Facebook, the fan forums - everything - went into complete meltdown. The robbery/fix was in.

GSP chose that moment to immediately announce a sort of quasi-retirement. He was stepping away from the sport but he might/might not make a comeback at some point. So the UFC was faced with arguably their biggest star making a weird, barely comprehensible "temporary retirement" speech after one of the dodgiest decisions we've seen. That's a whole lot of damage to the brand after what in reality was a spectacular fight. That fight should have set up a massive rematch with Hendricks as champion.

GSP's speech obviously took the UFC brass by surprise. I don't think GSP's all to blame because he might have been planning to retire even if he won convincingly, but I felt for Dana at that point because a lot of the media and a lot of the fans (except for the most passionate GSP fanatics) felt angry and felt like there were questions that needed answering.

It was heat of the moment stuff. Most things are easier in hindsight.

good post

the way rogan kept telling him to make the announcement showed that gsp planned to "retire" no matter what but it looked sketchy and put dana on damage control

Editing Tito out of his achievements, because of personal reasons.

Never happened. Of all the shitty things Dana has said, you pick the one thing that never even really happened.

Tito is still listed in the Official UFC Records at Fight Metric. Tito is still listed in the UFC HOF (he wasn't coming up for some people, but the same was happening with some others like Griffin, for example). His wins weren't taken away. He wasn't on the LHW wins list because some of his and Chuck's wins (or anyone else with wins that predate UFC 31) don't count as modern LHW wins.

That whole thing just goes to show when you have people who look for reasons to complain about the UFC and habitual complainers like Tito, you get snap judgments without people doing their due diligence. The UFC/Dana have plenty of questionable things they have said/done. But in reality, about half the things people complain about can be explained away. But people would rather bitch, because that is what some people just like to do.

Cutting Fitch. I mean he was still top 10...in the fucken world. Think about it

But he was boring. I cant blame dana and the ufc for not wanting to pay him.

For the two comments above, this highlights the problem. People bitch because they cut Fitch, Okami, and Shields, and because they didn't sign Askren. But for every person who complains, there is somebody who says they are glad because they don't like watching them. This is the crossroads of sport, entertainment, and business. This isn't a situation where everyone is on the same page and is against the UFC's decision. The fans are split on this one. I personally would like for them to still be in the UFC, but there are plenty of people who disagree.

He cut all of AKA, including Fitch.

I might be wrong, but I didn't think they all ended up getting cut. I knew Fitch and Wellisch were cut. I know Swick wasn't cut. I thought the issue was resolved without Koscheck and Velasquez actually getting released. Like I said, I might be wrong.

Saying that unlike boxing in the UFC we get all the fights the fans want to see and then not signing Askren.

Now, I will defend the UFC here. Sure, we can all point out some fighters that should be in the UFC and aren't (see above response in regards to Askren, Fitch, Okami, and Shields). But for the most part, they do have the bulk of the top fighters. For the most part, these guys fight each other. Champions actually do defend against the top ranked guys. We are more likely to see the #1 and #2 guys fight in the UFC than boxing. Sometimes, fights can't be made for various reasons (injuries, contract disputes, fights getting turned down, etc). But for the most part, they try to put the top guys against each other, and as I said, they do have a very large % of the top ranked guys in each weight class.

I agree, and with that Dana inadvertently provided haters with yet another stupid and baseless reason to dislike Jones.

I dislike Jones as much as anyone. But the shit he got for that was completely unjustified.

The GSP thing is about as low as it gets.

Show me someone who has made them more money?
Show me someone who is more respectful and professional?

Straight up bush league. As much as it sucks, I'd rather never see GSP fight again but that he keeps his dignity and never steps into the UFC again.

brock-lesnar-894576252.jpg

Dana has done a lot but I would have to go with bashing fighters. Bashing fighters does not help the company's ultimate goal, making money. The worst is bashing fighters who can potentially make the UFC the most money like GSP, Silva, and Jones.

I thought a job of a promoter is to promote the fighter, not bash them to the point people do not want to support them. However, Dana does not want any fighter to become bigger than the him or the UFC.

Back