What was the most obvious Wrestlemania main event result?

The Fiend vs John Cena
It was pretty obvious for month that the fight was going to take place in an alternate reality where they were going to review Cena's career and broke the 4rth wall.
Please be more creative next time like i don't know, two dudes punching each other in the face

Austin winning at wm17. We didn't predict the heel turn, but everyone I watched with knew it was a foregone conclusion Austin was going over.

Disagree
They did such a great job with the build up to Wrestlemania III that the outcome was not a 100% set in stone guaranteed fact in most peoples minds
People were genuinely curious about what was gonna hapoen which is why it did the numbers it did and got the mainstream crossover buzz that it did

Im guessing the match with Ultimate Warrior was similar, many people expecting Hulk to win.

Anything with Hogan pre 90-00

Iraqi sympathizing Slaughter probably the most obvious, at least with guys like Savage and Andre there was a bit of uncertainy and maybe you might have had a screwy finish and a longer fued,

That's funny to even think about today, Jericho as the big heel, HHH as the big face. I guess people do kinda like HHH for what he did NXT but still, and the way people sing Judas and just love everything Jericho does even though he's fat and washed up.
I just can't imagine anyone liking HHH for any reason.

I'm sure there's a ton, but Wrestlemania 1 pops into my head first. Hogan/T vs Piper/Orndorff. Think that was WM 1.

Any Hogan appearance except when he faced Andre to an extent, more so with Warrior. That was really 50/50.

The actual main event of that card may have been the opposite of the threads' question, the biggest shock/surprise winner.

Benoit going over at WM 20 was the same way. Vince miraculously did what was best for business despite all his biases.

If they keep that trend of a deserving underdog winning the main event on every first WM of the decade, it makes me wonder who's going over at WM 40; Cesaro? Finn Balor? Dolph Ziggler? Sami Zayne? Bron Brekker? or maybe someone who's not even on the roster yet
I used to be a major wrestling fan as a kid but those names in the final paragraph sound like randomly generated names in a video game haha. Terrible what it has come to!

I'm sure there's a ton, but Wrestlemania 1 pops into my head first. Hogan/T vs Piper/Orndorff. Think that was WM 1.

Any Hogan appearance except when he faced Andre to an extent, more so with Warrior. That was really 50/50.
I was going to say that about Warrior vs. Hogan. Although even as a kid I remember being surprised Warrior got the win

I was going to say that about Warrior vs. Hogan. Although even as a kid I remember being surprised Warrior got the win

I was surprised too, because Hogan never lost... but Warrior was super hot at the time and an edgy babyface as well, so I wasn't sure.

Any Roman reigns match

Wouldn't say all of them have been obvious. Roman vs. Brock at Wrestlemania 31 which ended with Seth Rollins cashing in Money in the Bank and making it a triple threat match definitely wasn't expected, especially after Rollins lost clean to Orton earlier in the night. Roman vs. Brock at Wrestlemania 34 people fully expected Roman to finally beat Brock after all these years and Brock went over Roman. That one even worked Brock into a shoot, Brock actually wanted to put over Roman finally, when Brock went to gorilla after the match he even chucked the belt at Vince cause he thought it was stupid.

First time I saw the challenger come out second.
Kid, don't talk about the Challenger.

maxresdefault.jpg

Hogan winning or Hogan getting sympathy.

Back