What was the highest level fight that delivered on its hype and promise for that weight class?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
What do you think is the highest level fight that showed the full display of what makes MMA awesome and the best skills that also delivered on its hype for that weight class?

For me, it's Shogun vs Machida. It was the two very best of that weight class, Shogun vs undefeated Machida, and that fight freaking delivered, and there was also a robbery to go along with it, as you can't really have MMA without the robberies obviously.

I mean, now, it probably doesn't look that great of a match up in hindsight, but back then, Shogun was the man, before Jones demolition, and Machida was also the man, looking like no one could solve the puzzle of Machida Karate. That match up was as good as ANY.

I mean some may say Cormier vs Jones for LHW, but I don't actually think that fight delivered on the hype. I don't think it was as competitive as in I think Cormier kinda quit along the way. I mean not quit, but he kinda gave up and I think the only thing that he wanted to do was get that takedown for his ego boost which he got briefly in the fifth round if my memory serves me right. I'm sure that was a high level fight as well, and arguably better fighters, but the fight itself wasn't as good as Machida/Shogun.

TJ Dillashaw vs Renan Barao for BW
Conor McGregor vs Jose Aldo for FW
Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez for LW
Conor McGregor vs Cowboy Cerrone for WW
Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort for MW
Anderson Silva vs Forest Griffin for LHW
Francis Ngannou vs Stipe Miocic for HW

Last edited:
Fedor vs Cro-Cop

Fedor is Goat pound for pound and Crocop is the Goat striker pound for pound, but I don't think it delievered on the hype. If you ask me anyways. I want something that was competitive I guess, but then again Shogun 4-1 Machida too.

Everyone thought Lawler/Condit was going to be a brutal war. It delivered on it's promise.

Edgar/Maynard 3 pretty much delivered everything + closure.

What do you think is the highest level fight that showed the full display of what makes MMA awesome and the best skills that also delivered on its hype for that weight class?

For me, it's Shogun vs Machida. It was the two very best of that weight class, Shogun vs undefeated Machida, and that fight freaking delivered, and there was also a robbery to go along with it, as you can't really have MMA without the robberies obviously.

I mean, now, it probably doesn't look that great of a match up in hindsight, but back then, Shogun was the man, before Jones demolition, and Machida was also the man, looking like no one could solve the puzzle of Machida Karate. That match up was as good as ANY.

I mean some may say Cormier vs Jones for LHW, but I don't actually think that fight delivered on the hype. I don't think it was as competitive as in I think Cormier kinda quit along the way. I mean not quit, but he kinda gave up and I think the only thing that he wanted to do was get that takedown for his ego boost which he got briefly in the fifth round if my memory serves me right. I'm sure that was a high level fight as well, and arguably better fighters, but the fight itself wasn't as good as Machida/Shogun.

Rory & Robbie.
The brutality, technique, grit, heart...

giphy.gif

There are many memorable fights, but IMHO this one had it all!!!

I don’t know why, but Rockhold Weidman had me amped and I thought it delivered. They both have faded badly but at the time they were high level mws.

At their primes, they were as good as any. You are right. They fell so hard, so hard to put them up there, but at their primes, I think they were as good as any and I think they are better than Whitaker and Israel.

It's really difficult to say because of how their career panned out, but I genuintely think those two are better than Israel and Whittaker.

That fight did cross my mind for MW, but just so hard because their career..really went downhill fast and ugly.

Everyone thought Lawler/Condit was going to be a brutal war. It delivered on it's promise.

Edgar/Maynard 3 pretty much delivered everything + closure.

If i'm honest, I didn't watch Lawler vs Condit. A fight between two journeyman fighters. Was a hard pass. Don't care to watch the highlight nor replay. God don't get the love for those two. A low level fighters in my book.

Edgar/Maynard 2 was better lol but I get those two mixed up but I think the one Edgar came back was amazing.

That fight is so over-rated. I don't get it. So freaking sloppy
you can't have that much brutality and not be sloppy at some point.
No one would retain their level of technique.
But you do know how great technique Rory and Robbie have! So you have to take that into account.

you can't have that much brutality and not be sloppy at some point.
No one would retain their level of technique.
But you do know how great technique Rory and Robbie have! So you have to take that into account.

Robbie sucks. I don't care much about him. But oh well. We can agree to disagree. Robbed Hendricks blind. Didn't deserve that belt.

Robbie sucks. I don't care much about him. But oh well. We can agree to disagree. Robbed Hendricks blind. Didn't deserve that belt.
Come on now.
He had many wars worthy of mentioning. One of the few champions who fought in wars instead of playing safe, as most do nowadays.

I rather have Rory than almost all current champions.

Henderson - Pettis
Dos Santos - Velasquez 2
Silva - Weidman
Carwin - Lesnar
Evans - Machida
Benavidez - Cejudo

Honda housey vs nunes

Back