What was the gameplan Chuck was supposed to follow when he fought Rampage in Pride?

Chuck only ever had one gameplan. At that time Pride typically paid a lot more so they had most of the best fighters, same way the UFC typically pays more now so they have most of the best fighters. There are/were obviously exceptions but both statements are generally true.

I only became a fan in 2008 or so, when COVID happened I signed up to Fightpass and started watching all the Prides, I’m nearly done. Also watched some Strikeforce, old UFCs, even WECs, what a library it is, amazing!

I knew the reputations of Sakuraba, Wand, Shogun, Fedor etc but it’s great to see it happen chronologically that’s for sure
That's really cool man. When you watch from PRIDE 1 until PRIDE 34, it's exciting, especially if you're unfamiliar. You start seeing these stars rising, and some continue and some just drop out out sight. Same can be said of all of those orgs.

I wish more fans would do what you're doing.

Rampage landed the cleanest shot I've ever seen. <AckbarTrap>
r4d4jblrhjyz.gif

Since this is Chuck vs Wanderlei now, I feel like I must remind you all that Chuck went for a takedown in the third round. Such a bitch move in that case.
That should never have happened. Shoulda been a DQ and lifetime ban.

So in the beginning of his career he lost to guys that chuck beat

In the middle of his career he didn't match chuck's wins

Near the end of his career when they actually fought, where Chuck was also old, he lost

It seems pretty objective to say that Chuck had a better career
LOL
Kid, you can try to be dishonest, but we both know Wandi was just arriving, used to fight under different rules, in a ring, etc.
And he was coming off two losses. And yes, so was Chuck, but Wandi lost to Cro Cop & Hendo... Chuck lost to Rampage & Jardine... A little different wouldn't you say?

LOL
Kid, you can try to be dishonest, but we both know Wandi was just arriving, used to fight under different rules, in a ring, etc.
And he was coming off two losses. And yes, so was Chuck, but Wandi lost to Cro Cop & Hendo... Chuck lost to Rampage & Jardine... A little different wouldn't you say?
Jardine would beat more than half the guys on wanderlei record

..and here you go, delusional again.
Adrian serrano
Tony petara
Carl melenko
Matsui
Bob schriber
Todd medina
Oyama
Otsuka
Tamura
Iwasaki
Kanehara
Minowa
Kondo
Nakamura

Adrian serrano
Tony petara
Carl melenko
Matsui
Bob schriber
Todd medina
Oyama
Otsuka
Tamura
Iwasaki
Kanehara
Minowa
Kondo
Nakamura
Congratutations, you got wikipedia.
and with the exception of Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin, which win gave you away that Jardine could beat these guys?
Aron Lofton ? Francisco France?
Brandon fucking Vera?
Maybe Wilson Gouveia or Mike Whitehead?
Want me to name the rest of the opponents he beat?
Kerry Schall
Arman Gambaryan
Tom Elrite
Brian Bair
George Allen
Allan Sullivan
Bryan Pardoe
Philip Preece
Abe Andujo
Amir Rahnavardi

Yeah, kid. Not impressed.

This thread brings back memories of UFC vs Pride days on sherdog. Where the heavyweights were ufc and pride.

Dana kept saying that Chuck isn’t following the gameplan on commentary as Rampage was dominating Chuck

The gameplan? Dana is gonna pretend like he's part of Chuck's team now?
He should pipe down and stop pretending like he's got any knowledge/connection to any fighter's preparation or gym.

sw8m849.gif

Probably something about movement and not standing still to get hit :p
He's not standing still, he stepped back, and tried to counter.
Rampage was the better man that night, no excuses.

Y'know Chuck probably could have lay n prayed Rampage in hindsight. Once Rampage is on his back, he has no answer for getting back up.

Congratutations, you got wikipedia.
and with the exception of Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin, which win gave you away that Jardine could beat these guys?
Aron Lofton ? Francisco France?
Brandon fucking Vera?
Maybe Wilson Gouveia or Mike Whitehead?
Want me to name the rest of the opponents he beat?
Kerry Schall
Arman Gambaryan
Tom Elrite
Brian Bair
George Allen
Allan Sullivan
Bryan Pardoe
Philip Preece
Abe Andujo
Amir Rahnavardi

Yeah, kid. Not impressed.
You're miscontruing me for a ufc vs pride guy, i am not. I think sauraba is a legend, think fedor is hw goat, think wanderlei is good, but guys like chuck and shogun have the more impressive record and beaten the better fighters.

Back