What was the first MMA fight you ever saw and what's the story behind it?

acannxr

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Bas Rutten vs. Minoru Suzuki was the first fight I saw. My dad had gotten a VHS tape from a friend of his in Mexico, who got the tape from Japan, and the tape had been paused in the middle of this fight so my dad and I watched this fight first before he rewinded it to the beginning.

qjRD88.gif

Edit: Added for more context.
As a kid I was a fan of pro wrestling back then, but my dad didn't want to buy anything WWF-related because he thought they were running a pedo-ring, so he asked his friend in Mexico to send him some pro wrestling tapes, and what we got instead was Pancrase; so for awhile my dad and I thought we were just watching Japan's version of pro wrestling. After my dad finally realized that it was legitimate, he went from tolerating our nights of watching pro wrestling, to looking forward to them.

Last edited:
I can;t quite say for sure, but I used to borrow a friends vhs collection of anywhere between ufc 1-3.

So Royce & Shamrock were the first names I remembered. Along with Kimo etc.

Chick Liddell was the first mma fighter I really got behind though.

Went to the same High School as Frank Mir and my friends older brother was buddies with him and he threw a big party when he fought Sylvia. Didnt even know what MMA was back then. Awesome night.

Filecabi.net(some trash video site) and it was Frye vs Takayama!
Fuck was that an introduction, still holds a special place for me
Don-Frye-Vs.-Yoshihiro-Takayama.gif

I can;t quite say for sure, but I used to borrow a friends vhs collection of anywhere between ufc 1-3.

So Royce & Shamrock were the first names I remembered. Along with Kimo etc.

Chick Liddell was the first mma fighter I really got behind though.

Same here and I watched those over and over and over and over

Thank you Blockbuster store in the 90's always had them. Good ol days, whole cards for like $3.

Oleg Taktarov vs Renzo Gracie circa 1998

Someone I knew had it on TV by chance

My mom was a MMA fan way before I was. She and her husband used to go to UFC events back when they had them at Mohegan Sun.

She popped in a VHS one day and was like, “Check this out”.

tumblr_nwb9spJjIf1r89qoso1_400.gif

After the fight was over Baroni told the guy who was doing the post-fight interview, “Shut up. Nobody wants to hear what you gotta’ say”.

<36>

I think it was Diego Sanchez wrecking some can on TUF and rich franklin being like “this Diego kid is on another level.” Then I looked up rich Franklin on YouTube and saw his fights vs Anderson Silva....and I got hooked from there

Whatever the first bout on UFC 3 was.

I used to watch pro wrasslin when i was a kid and was off school sick. My parents went go grab me a WWF VHS video but instead grabbed UFC 3 and 4. They didn't know the difference as it was in the same section and didn't notice till after I was watching these and other UFC vids for months later.

Fedor vs Randleman, purely accidental.

It was a late night rerun of selected Pride fights on Russian TV; I stayed up late to watch a Champion's League game, and the fights came in right after the soccer at like 2 am. Like they say, the rest is history.

Whatever the first bout on UFC 3 was.

I used to watch pro wrasslin when i was a kid and was off school sick. My parents went go grab me a WWF VHS video but instead grabbed UFC 3 and 4. They didn't know the difference as it was in the same section and didn't notice till after I was watching these and other UFC vids for months later.
Our stories are eerily similar.

As a kid I was a fan of pro wrestling back then, but my dad didn't want to buy anything WWF-related because he thought they were running a pedo-ring, so he asked his friend in Mexico to send him some pro wrestling tapes, and what we got instead was Pancrase; so for awhile my dad and I thought we were just watching Japan's version of pro wrestling. After my dad finally realized that it was legitimate, he went from tolerating our nights of watching pro wrestling, to looking forward to them.

The opener fight of UFC II, couldn’t tell you who it was, but anyhow I come from a boxing family, everyone boxed..so my uncle came to my house one day with a VHS and told my old man and I to watch these bare knuckled fights inside a cage, it was well worth the watch he said, he was more then right.

Wasn’t so much just one fight for me, but the whole card of UFC II, Pat Smith vs Scott Morris comes to mind though as the fight that stuck out, I thought Smith was going to kill him, I will never forget the name of either guy, I was hooked ever since

Bas Rutten vs. Minoru Suzuki was the first fight I saw. My dad had gotten a VHS tape from a friend of his in Mexico, who got the tape from Japan, and the tape had been paused in the middle of this fight so my dad and I watched this fight first before he rewinded it to the beginning.

qjRD88.gif

Edit: Added for more context.
Ken vs Royce 2 and tank vs someone who he won but was so fkin gassed out after the fight. I’m assuming his opponent for that fight was against that Japanese dude but I don’t rly remmeber. I just remember tank winning and was just gassed ass shit.

Chuck vs Vitor. I was over my uncles house didn't even know he ordered it, didn't even know what MMA was. Sat down, watched it as a teenager, that was a wrap. Diehard MMA fan ever since. It rivals my love for American Football.

my friend was telling me about Fedor and Cro Cop and PRIDE at school, the upcoming UFC card was Chuck vs Rampage, and my buddy was telling me how Rampage would whoop Chuck's ass again, so that was my first card

Last edited:
So uhhh...

Why did your dad thing WWF was running a pedo-ring? Lol

To the actual question: I have no idea. Years ago I watched a local promotion but I didn’t know what the fuck mma was, we all just called it cage fighting. I remember one kid getting hardcore bullied because his cousin was a “cage fighter”. He cried a lot. This was pre-TUF days so normal people didn’t watch mma.

Whatever the first fight on the UFC 2 VHS was, cant remember which one it was. Was 11 or 12 and bored looking for something to rent from blockbuster. I just saw the UFC VHS cover art right now and it triggered some feels.

Last edited:
Back