What was the first Anderson Silva fight you ever saw?

I saw this skinny black kick boxer get taken down and submitted by some little asian man and scratched my head wondering if it was one of their fixed fights or if it was just the coolest finish ever. Then I learned who Silva truly is when he cracked lebens skull like melon with the thai plum and knees.

I still have me doubts on that fight. Pride definitely featured some fixed fights and that ending was just a bit too over the top for me. Silva having pretty damn amazing BJJ and just standing there letting him wrap his legs up and then tapping instantly without putting up any real effort to avoid the sub.... never mind the fact that he was fighting a guy at or slightly above journeyman level and having an even match maybe losing the striking... really? Doesn't add up.

Anderson Silva Vs. Curtis Stout in Cage Rage.

I still have me doubts on that fight. Pride definitely featured some fixed fights and that ending was just a bit too over the top for me. Silva having pretty damn amazing BJJ and just standing there letting him wrap his legs up and then tapping instantly without putting up any real effort to avoid the sub.... never mind the fact that he was fighting a guy at or slightly above journeyman level and having an even match maybe losing the striking... really? Doesn't add up.
Yeah to this day I wonder about it. Flying scissors will not work on a competent grappler. If you so much as turn your hips and push against a leg it fails. Then theres the fact that like you mentioned of no struggle with the leg lock which are notoriously difficult to get. He might not have been a bjj master back then, but i'm pretty sure he wasn't clueless. If that wasn't shady then he had the most off night in his entire career.

Chonan beating Anderson was as legit as Takada beating Coleman.

Definitely remember the Carlos Newton fight.

Around the Brasilian Killer Steibling to Newton range.

man hard to recall to be honest. maybe his fight at pride 21 or vs carlos newton. i think ive seen his fight against sakurai but that was likely way after the fact

It was a fight he lost in Pride. I remember I tought this guy desperately needs steroids!

Newton or Takase. Didn't think he'd be anything special.

The leben fight, wasn't much of a fan until the leites fight, I remember walking into the bar and seeing Anderson dicking around and throughing thigh punches and shit. Mad respect to someone who can do stupid crap like that during a title fight.

The leben fight, wasn't much of a fan until the leites fight, I remember walking into the bar and seeing Anderson dicking around and throughing thigh punches and shit. Mad respect to someone who can do stupid crap like that during a title fight.
At first it was cool, and I remember thinking -oh my god he is completely toying with him, which he could clearly do without recourse because Thales was SOOOOO outclassed... then it was like ok, that behind the leg reverse kick to the ankle was cute and all but when is he going to KO this guy? No really? Ok this sucks...

To this day I have never gone back and rewatched that turd of a fight and I never will.

Back