What was the event, fight, or feud that got you hooked on the UFC?

It was Mir's armbar on Sylvia. Call me simple, but I hadn't been exposed to BJJ before and didn't know that people could fight like that.

Nick Diaz/Robbie Lawler.

Such a badass fight through and through.

Same here man, first fight I saw, I remember the commentary talking up lawler, then this mean looking kid coming in and trash talking through the whole fight while pulling off the win

I watched the early UFC's and of course what Royce was able to do blew me away but there were other guys that really got me hooked - Oleg Taktarov's gutsy win vs Tank Abbot. Remco Pardoel's "I did not expect to win" interview after elbowing (I think) Orlando Weidt into oblivion. Tank and Frye's respective knockout debuts. That was the era that really hooked me, the immediate post-Royce UFC's before the dark ages.

Watched heaps of pride before getting into the UFC. What really got me into MMA is the great Fedor Emelianenko, love all his fights.

UFC 1 had me hooked. I was a kid obsessed with pro wrestling and boxing and watched every event with my dad on ppv and tape them to watch them repeatedly. When UFC 1 came, I was hooked on Royce Gracie and later Oleg Taktarov. The other kids in the school yard had absolutely no idea who I was talking about, because it was all Hulk Hogan and Bret Hart then, so I lent out all of the UFC tapes to get them hooked too. Now I still watch a lot of events with the same friends, except instead of on VHS, it is usually at a bar.

Royce Gracie vs the World's Preconceptions.

Ufc 6 - two great tank abbot ko's and Oleg taktarov beat Tank in final

UFC 1 - watching Royce was just simply amazing to me. And yes I am old lol

Surprised no one's mentioned wrestling being a factor. I got into it way back when Shamrock and Severn had their WWF feud, and the MMA fighter angle got hammered for all it was worth. I was intrigued and was a huge fan of Shamrock's for his real ability, so Severn came along for the ride as they were billed as equals. Then when I caught a glimpse of Shamrock fighting Tito whilst channel hopping, I had to watch- was hooked from there, pretty much.

It was tapes of the early UFCs but much after the fact.

Cro cop-I saw his YTube clips where he was
Knocking heads off for fun.i then thought man
this guy is a freaking beast.i went to
wiki,read about him and now im a MMA
fan.

nothing.. pride got me into MMA and then pride ended so i watched UFC cause it's as close as it gets to Pride since dream n stuff is slightly lacking.

For me it was Lesnar vs Overeem :D

MMA is banned in German Free-TV, I've seen some fights before the ban, but I wasn't more than a supercasual viewer.

I've seen some promo on a German sports page for Lesnar vs Overeem and the article stated, that ufc.tv is free in Germany (including VoDs). I think a week after the fight, I registered, watched Lesnar vs Overeem and then the rest of the card. Then I started watching all the other available VoDs and since then I'm 'addicted'

Feel free to call me noob! :wink:

Ultimate Ultimate 2
images

Last edited:
For me, Phil Baroni v Frank Shamrock.

I watched Baroni absolutely destroy Dave Menne and thought he was unbeatable! Then was rooting for him in his fight against Frank, he lost but was still a brave performance and an awesome fight.

Watched casually from then, watched religiously after UFC 100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back