What was Sonnen thinking?

Hirashin

This is not a profession
Banned
Reaction score
Going into the Silva fight, roided to the gills, not even trying to cycle, when cycling was easy, no random testing, usada was nowhere to be found (the good ol times). He purposely went into the fight knowing he would get caught. So even if he had won, that belt would have been taken away from him the very next day.

Sonnen just wanted to hold that belt so bad, even if it is for a day. For one day in his life, he wanted to shine. Its all that mattered to him.

So what if he gets busted and has his belt taken away immediately. He will have a story, he is the guy who beat the invincible Anderson Silva, but some silly commission took his belt away. He was coming with a vengeance, to get what was righteously his and the rematch would earn him millions. From business stand point, it was excellent decision.

Him dominating that fight could have been the difference in his career. What if he doesn't juice and gets knocked out in the first round. Would he be where he is today? I think it paid off for him in the end.

Victory over honor apparently - but let's not pretend Anderson was all natty...

And also - since you answer your own question, thread title should be "What Sonnen was thinking".

You answered your own question:

Sonnen just wanted to hold that belt so bad, even if it is for a day. For one day in his life, he wanted to shine. Its all that mattered to him.

What was he thinking with that elbow, thats what I want to know.

Sonnen will always be undefeated in my heart because of his volubility

I mean they were both juicing so it's even

Not even remotly even. We can assume Silva was cycling like all the others back than, nothing more nothing less, cause Anderson was clean all the way to 2015. Sonnen went full time roiding to the gills. TRT levels 18 times higher than usual on the fight of the night, he didn't want to lose any power cycling the last 3 weeks before the fight.

Him being stripped of the title would have been nothing compared to the financial reward.

You answered your own question:

His td got stuffed, so he panic striked

Being a former champ, even a disgraced stripped one, is more financially awarding then never being a champ.

Him being stripped of the title would have been nothing compared to the financial reward.
This guy gets it

He knew he'd be in the headlines for his ban and would get an immediate shot pretty much straight after. As either the champ, or valiantly beaten challenger. It worked a treat. It was always all about his name in lights and not the belt. He didn't want the belt ... If he'd have cared about the belt, he would've actually tried to win it behaving a bit more like a champion.

As a result, he now he gets to act like a "straight shooting blue collar sports guy" on TV with actual genuine champions and trained broadcasters sitting around acting like he belongs........

I bet even when he "got emotional" mentioning his dad when retiring he put that on too. He's literally walking Shtick. What the fuck do you mean, "What was he thinking?"

A fighter's pastiche. He's absolutely the kind of guy to throw a fight.

He's funny. But a piece of work to be sure

yeah, that was the dumb part of the fight. sonnen is great but he has these moments: getting greco'd into a triangle by maia; winning nearly 5 rds vs. silva, only to get triangled in the 5th; and of course throwing spinning shit when that's just not your game.

He put a lot of pressure on himself promoting that fight. Who knows what he was thinking, but it obviously didn't have anything to do with cycling off his various juices. He lost his mental edge when he had to get off the sauce altogether. Maybe physically he didn't lose that much, but it was obvious that mentally he lost a lot. That stuff was clearly a crutch for him. I think people underestimate the psychological effects of getting off steroids.

Him dominating that fight could have been the difference in his career. What if he doesn't juice and gets knocked out in the first round. Would he be where he is today? I think it paid off for him in the end.
He "dominated" because Anderson Silva had a rib injury. PEDs don't work in male MMA. Hence, Chael Sonnen was finished by an injured fighter who was simply way more talented and skilled than him.

he was going to try to BS himself out of any responsibility

you know.. how Jon Jones does

oops :D

Chael is allowed to juice, mostly because he didn't destroy Sherdog's favorite fighters.

Going into the Silva fight, roided to the gills, not even trying to cycle, when cycling was easy, no random testing, usada was nowhere to be found (the good ol times). He purposely went into the fight knowing he would get caught. So even if he had won, that belt would have been taken away from him the very next day.

So what if he gets busted and has his belt taken away immediately. He will have a story, he is the guy who beat the invincible Anderson Silva, but some silly commission took his belt away. He was coming with a vengeance, to get what was righteously his and the rematch would earn him millions. From business stand point, it was excellent decision.
But roids dont make a difference. See jones. Goat on and off the juice.

Injured ribs Silva finished prime 16:1 testosterone ratio juiced Sonnen. GOAT

Chael was just trying to make it an even playing field and pump himself full of the same amount of peds Anderson was on.

Back