What was planned for Ledger Joker?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I understand tragedy hit with Heath Ledger but to this day people talk about ledger joker in a way that his character is a different entity than joker. Anyways I always wondered what storyline was planned for him?

Before Bane, the fans were saying that Riddler was going to be a villain ( to be played by Johnny Depp) and that Ledger Joker would have helped him out similar to Hannibal Lecter in silence of the lambs. Another theory is that he escaped from the asylum and decided to terrorize another town. Although the latter makes no sense at all.

I always loved this fanfiction origin that is 11 years old:

I think things ended with the Trilogy regardless of Ledger's tragic end

Nolan said there were no plans for Joker in a 3rd film. Before Batman begins filmed Nolan has Joker throw acid in Harvey dents face for the 3rd film but he changed it and did it for the 2nd film when Harvey's face catches on fire.

Studio wanted Leo DiCaprio to play the Riddler but Nolan wanted Tom Hardy as Bane. The joker isn't mentioned in DKR out of respect for Ledger.

So there were no plans for joker in the 3rd film

I bet he wouldn't be the main villain since they already used him in that role but I bet he'd make an appearance. Like he'd be the judge in the kangaroo court instead of whoever it was... Scarecrow? I don't even remember.

But I bet they would've tried to get him to play joker in the suicide squad instead of Leto. If that went well then maybe he would've gotten his own origin story years ago and we would've never seen Phoenix play the joker

Jokeback Mountain.

I bet he wouldn't be the main villain since they already used him in that role but I bet he'd make an appearance. Like he'd be the judge in the kangaroo court instead of whoever it was... Scarecrow? I don't even remember.

But I bet they would've tried to get him to play joker in the suicide squad instead of Leto. If that went well then maybe he would've gotten his own origin story years ago and we would've never seen Phoenix play the joker

I agree that he wouldn't be the main villain. In fact, talked leaned towards him becoming a distant ally against the new antagonists.

Nolan series came with a primary and secondary antagonist. Scarecrow and Carmine Falcone were secondary while Ras was primary. Joker was primary and Maroni/Dent were secondary. In the third one, you could argue that Bane got demoted to secondary once Talia was revealed to be the main antagonist.

In the third film, ledger joker could have helped him in a dark twisted way in respect to taking out the more bloodthirsty enemies.

Well if Ledger hadn’t died his performance would not have been hyped half as much, thus there’d be far less clamour for him to return.

I heard he was supposed to take Scarecrows cameo in the TDKR.

Well if Ledger hadn’t died his performance would not have been hyped half as much, thus there’d be far less clamour for him to return.

Certainly possible he may not have gotten an Oscar and obviously there was more hype built from his death but the full Dark Knight trailer and 6 min prologue debuted a little over a months before his death and there was a massive amount of hype around his performance. The initial hype around Heath in late 2007 was more positive than I ever saw with a comic book character...more than Phoenix was initially getting without question. Dark Knight was doing massive at the box office no matter if Heath died or not. Warner Bros didn't foot a $185 million budget($225 million today) because they thought this was going to be some small movie. This was first time the Joker was portrayed in 19 years unlike today were we had 2 jokers in 3 years and there was a shit load of hype around it. No possible way Dark Knight wasn't going to be huge.

empire-joker-cover2.jpg

Certainly possible he may not have gotten an Oscar and obviously there was more hype built from his death but the full Dark Knight trailer and 6 min prologue debuted a little over a months before his death and there was a massive amount of hype around his performance. The initial hype around Heath in late 2007 was more positive than I ever saw with a comic book character...more than Phoenix was initially getting without question. Dark Knight was doing massive at the box office no matter if Heath died or not. Warner Bros didn't foot a $185 million budget($225 million today) because they thought this was going to be some small movie. This was first time the Joker was portrayed in 19 years unlike today were we had 2 jokers in 3 years and there was a shit load of hype around it. No possible way Dark Knight wasn't going to be huge.

empire-joker-cover2.jpg

Cool story.

Nolan said there were no plans for Joker in a 3rd film. Before Batman begins filmed Nolan has Joker throw acid in Harvey dents face for the 3rd film but he changed it and did it for the 2nd film when Harvey's face catches on fire.

Studio wanted Leo DiCaprio to play the Riddler but Nolan wanted Tom Hardy as Bane. The joker isn't mentioned in DKR out of respect for Ledger.

So there were no plans for joker in the 3rd film

I'm sure I read somewhere that the only thing they wanted Joker for, not necessarily Heath, was to show he got out of incarceration in Dark Knight Rises. The scenes where everyone is breaking out of jail and such? That it was more his general look/silhouette to be shown, so no recognizable face needed. Then they cut it out of respect.

Could be very very wrong though.

Just sayin...
7HWZo1pEOsoY1UuECBvs2-3AIbsPq-Kfic9PEcimf3E.jpg

Stands and does nothing with face paint. Rip off.

Stands and just points with face paint? Rip off.

Stands and does nothing, while camera shows goons over his shoulder. Rip off.

Besides the paint, you can do this with any movie that has henchmen/mobsters/etc

Edit: Actually you said influence, my bad.

Last edited:

What a waste of a cameo that was. Judge Scarecrow should have gassed the "perps" and used his mask. Pretending you can have NOTHING of the technology or methods from the proceeding movies in the following movie annoys me about that trilogy.

Back