What was Marcelo's thoughts on his foray into MMA?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by n8pee, Sep 29, 2010.

1. n8pee

n8pee Yellow Belt

And why won't he ever compete in MMA again? I can't seem to find this information anywhere, but am quite curious.

2. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

i think for a while he was actually trying to get fights but K-1 fucked him over and kept delaying his comeback. after a while he lost interest and refocused on grappling.

3. AnOddParadigm

AnOddParadigm Blue Belt

He was basically shafted by K-1. They promised to build there welterweight division around him then through him into a middleweight match with about 2 weeks notice. After, they never paid him his contracted pay and threatened to sue him if he fought or competed in any other tourney (which was probably an empty threat). Either way he basically got fucked over and by the end of it just decided he loved jiu jitsu and decided to stick with that.

4. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

Would really like to see him in MMA again. is he the answer to the wrestling approach that gets bitched about so much (which I don't have a problem with)would he figure them out?

5. nefti

nefti Red Belt

what get's me is that he lost via cut he was winning the fight and actually dominated the first round. People are talking about how he sucked :S

6. Ryo

Ryo Black Belt

He didn't suck, but he sure didn't perform like most expected him too when he had such dominant positions on the ground.

I would like to see him fight again.

7. Number1Wrestler**

Number1Wrestler** Green Belt

I agree. He's an absolute wizard from the back and I was amazed that he didn't finish him in the first round. Maybe it was the gloves.

8. kying418

kying418 Blue Belt

He moved to FL, and trained with American Top Team for a year.

Basically, he was in training camp for 1 year, because K1 kept promising him fights and then falling through with them.

Imagine that most fighters have 3 months training camp...now imagine having a 12 month training camp and not complaining about it. It was a crazy time for him, having a new bjj school and teaching everyday while training full time mma for a fight that never happened.

He absolutely loves being in nyc and teaching bjj. I dont think he has any near future plans with mma. But I dont ever count Marcelo out for any challenges.

9. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

dude.... yes.

I can't imagine anyone holding him down on his back.

But I too was shocked that he wasn't able to get a sub. As someone mentioned before maybe it was the gloves??

10. Supereem

Supereem Black Belt

Same deal with Popovitch I think, they didn't properly anticipate the difference gloves and possibly vaseline make. Also nerves might have played a large role, after all it is their first fight!

11. AnOddParadigm

AnOddParadigm Blue Belt

When I asked, he said it wasn't so much the gloves that got in the way as the amount of tape they put around your hands underneath the gloves. He had practiced a bit with the gloves but never with the gloves and his hands fully wrapped...

It is sad that we don't get to see what he could have done if he really jumped into MMA.. but it is nice to see a few of the top guys stick to the grappling world.

12. Ring>>Cage

Ring>>Cage Purple Belt

I'm curious as to how much of an effect MMA gloves have on grappling. Any fighters have input?

13. Neuro

Neuro Purple Belt

Only mere mortals get nervous.

14. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

Pretty much the scoop I got from him/his wife was that he was constantly cutting weight (he LOVES junk food), training hard as hell every morning and running his school and privates every night. He didn't like Florida as much as New York (think Rio/Sao Paulo comparison), missed his friends and long time students, and hated being strung along. But the final thing was that he just didn't LOVE it. MMA is one of those things that if you don't stay up at night like "OMG I WANT TO FIGHT" passionate about it, you shouldn't fight.

Dude's a badass in BJJ, he doesn't have to prove anything. People piss me off thinking that BJJ is a precursor to MMA 100% of the time. It's like getting a sprinter and saying, "Hey, you're really fast, why aren't you a receiver?" They're two different sports.

15. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

I don't even think he was doing that bad. The fight ended because of that cut. I feel like if it continued MG would've found a way to win and find the sub.

16. Jaxx

Jaxx Green Belt

I've said it before and i'll say it again...

...its laughable that 'the gloves' are used as an excuse for not getting the choke. Someone of his skill should still get the sub. Grapplers with 1/10 of his skill finish RNC with gloves on.

17. Pierced7681

Pierced7681 Black Belt

Agreed, anyone blaming the gloves is being ridiculous. And this is coming from someone who thinks Marcelo is fucking great.

I train at an MMA club and they all wrap their hands, put the gloves on, and then put tape over the velcro straps (so they dont rub the velcro over peoples faces when they punch) every single time they roll.

And none of them are big name fighters, all regional level. To think Marcelo never bothered to wrap his hands before putting on gloves and training is stupid.

18. pachanga

pachanga White Belt

He was completely dominating. The other guy hardly landed anything, it was mostly bad luck IMO that one of the few strikes he landed cut MG so badly.

It's not that surprising he didn't get the sub in just one round, gloves or not. It happens, even with ultra-elite grapplers. Think of Demian Maia taking three rounds for a sub against Jason McDonald, and failing to get it against Miranda, despite completely dominating both. Sometimes people have good sub defence.

BJJ shouldn't be seen as a precursor sport to MMA, but it would be pretty cool having another great grappler like Marcelo tearing people apart in the UFC.

19. pachanga

pachanga White Belt

By the way there is an episode of the Fightworks Podcast from around a year or two ago in which MG explains why he didn't pursue MMA - pretty much the reasons cited above.

20. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

I'm not sure I follow this. I'm looking at my gloves right now but I still don't get it. am I missing something?