What was Barao's game plan against TJ?

Shartnado

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I know TJ got the better of the stand up but what was Renans plan? He took the center but never threw any leg kicks or really struck first. He's not really a counter puncher either, just seemed like he was waiting for TJ to give him an open shot.

I know TJ got the better of the stand up but what was Renans plan? He took the center but never threw any leg kicks or really struck first. He's not really a counter puncher either, just seemed like he was waiting for TJ to give him an open shot.

He got cracked early on and never fully recovered.

tumblr_mtrfbnreb01sgp55vo1_400.gif

He severely underestimated TJ. "He thinks he's a striker, but he isn't" ---Barao

I'm assuming Barao just thought he could walk right through TJ. I don't think there was a gameplan.

barao is a very powerful striker but looked a bit lethargic(even early in the fight i thought) and it was clear tj had the speed advantage. if you stand in front of Barao you will get hurt like Faber did, but TJ used a ton of footwork and angles...

TJ is the better puncher and i think Baraos team knew this, so part of the gameplan was to use kicks, mainly front kicks. Barao didn't really use these effectively partly due to TJs footwork, but also because he was hurt badly after the first

Barao's game plan was to block TJ's hits with his face which he executed perfectly IMO

Barao didn't look great at all. I was just re watching the fight. Dillashaw was getting the better overall. Barao will need to pressure Dillashaw this time. Barao looked to predictable. Barao just threw right hands and wheel kicks.

Barao needs to incorporate some Muy Thai (ala Anderson) in order to slow down Dillashaw, if he gets another chance that is. He needs to cut off the ring and throw knees to the chest! A few more leg kicks too. His gameplan was crap.

Fight him at a distance behind his jab and eventually catch him while he stood in front of him like he did against Faber.

I think Barao's game plan was to outstrike and KO TJ and nothing else...

Hard to execute a plan after TJ cracks you in the face, and never lets up.

anytime barao threw a spinning it seemed like dillashaw was on him like wild fire and never let him reset, also they all missed badly except for 1 or 2

I have to agree. A lot of times, just because a fighter stayed conscious after eating a near knockout punch doesn't mean they "recovered".

After Barao got knocked down and nearly finished he was not the same fighter for the remainder of the match. TJ's footwork, timing and off-angle striking were all on point for that fight.

Barao was, understandably, a little hesitant to pull the trigger and sluggish after nearly earning a concussion during the 1st round.

When you eat a monster hit, even if you recover physically, it's easy to become gun-shy as well. You want to go forward, but your self-preservation holds you back and there's a little hesitation on everything you try to do.

Before the fight it seemed like everybody saw barao winning this fight wherever it took place. That being said I'm guessing his gameplan was to go in and fight. Tj was better then most expected though and surprised the world and barao.

Whether they admit to it or not, I feel they underestimated tj. It seemed like they were trying to adjust the gameplan in between rounds for more kicks, less boxing.. But barao was already pretty hurt. He'll be back with a more complete gameplan I'm sure. Whether it'll be enough or not, time will tell.

I think he just planned on out striking him.

Most of the fighters he's faced have fought him stepping back, Eddie actually had a good round against him because he pushed forward.

Barao doesn't fight well moving back and TJ is the worst match up for that weakness because he only goes forward. He also threw a lot of back kicks which maybe he expected to have a larger impact.

Tj just simply made him look bad, he was super aggressive and never let him breathe. And actually looked quicker that Barao which he thought was his biggest advantage.

keep it standing and outstrike tj.

after getting bewildered in the 1st rnd it looked like he didnt have a gameplan

-he threw leg kicks
-he struck first at times

He got the false impression that he can knock out superior boxers(not mma fighters) like McDonald, Wineland and Faber II(not Faber I ) whenever he wants.

-Wineland is only top8 and in every fight Rogan says 3times that his chin is up in the air
-McDonald was too green and only had stamina for 2,5 rounds, also was dropped several times in his career
-Faber I had a broken Rib
-Faber II a fight on short notice with a horrible stoppage

Wineland won the first round, McDonald hurt him, Faber II landed every right hand, but the fight was too short.
and oh he doesn't have more title fights

Back