What type of metal is this and can you recommend me something similar?

WorldofWarcraft

Holy Paladin
Banned
Reaction score
I've had this on my mp3 player for awhile. Was wondering what genre it is. Black metal perhaps? Can you guys recommend me something similar?

extreme
you could call it black or Viking
not my thing - more into Gothenberg
very influential album

not sure about similars
but the only thing in my discog which is close is
Satyricon
try Emperor aswell, but
i'm sure there's people who know
this metal better
than I do

Bathory is early black/viking metal. Not sure what part of the song or music you like the most, but check out Drudkh - Blood in our Wells if you like the atmosphere/black metal part more. Cant think of any viking themed stuff off the top of my head.

There is a tab of similar artists on their page. That website is a goldmine of metal bands, and I have found quiet a few bands I love by looking at reviews of bands I like, then looking at the other reviewers other reviews.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bathory/

it's black metal.

if you like that kind of stuff, check out celtic frost, early mayhem. pretty much the early albums from immortal, burzum, emperor, etc.

Celtic Frost, Darkthrone, Satyricon, Goatwhore.

Bathory was good stuff.

You might enjoy High on Fire.

As others have pointed out it's black metal with some viking metal thrown in. Along with being one of the godfathers of black metal, Quorthon also singlehandedly created viking metal.

If you're wanting more black metal Bathory then get the albums Under The Sign of The Black Mark, The Return, and the self-titled. If you're wanting more viking metal Bathory then get Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Blood On Ice and the Nordland albums.

As others have pointed out it's black metal with some viking metal thrown in. Along with being one of the godfathers of black metal, Quorthon also singlehandedly created viking metal.

If you're wanting more black metal Bathory then get the albums Under The Sign of The Black Mark, The Return, and the self-titled. If you're wanting more viking metal Bathory then get Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Blood On Ice and the Nordland albums.

Some good metal wisdom!

You like Mystifier?

If you want more epic sounding black metal like that Bathory song in particular then I would recommend Immortal's last few albums. Along with Abbath's other black metal band I's (the letter I) album Between Two Worlds. I'd also recommend Demonaz's album March of the Norse. It sounds very similar

Took me only ten seconds of listening to those production values to know it's black metal.

ok, i am your man for this as i listen to bathory almost everyday. This would be weird as this is considered the first in his 1st viking metal trilogy. so to me, it is kind of a mix of black and viking metal.

i prefer his more epic sounding viking metal: Hammerheart and Twilight of the gods

if you like this song, check out the albums above

the first 2 satyricon cds are kind of in the same vein as the video you posted, but i would say these are way better than the record you posted

now, i would consider Enslaved the best viking metal and one of the best metal bands period.
their later stuff is better and more progressive.
this is probably my favorite song of right now. listen to it. do it!

I really like a band called Wolves in the Throne Room that sounds like Bathory in some songs. Find their album "Two Hunters."

Back