What type of fish do you like? (Not including shell fish)

Sushi and sashimi FTW.
BB3CF69C-FDC0-458C-B48E-A976E264CFC3.jpeg A4D3ACEE-89D4-4AFF-8686-60E77F3C9691.jpeg

Halibut, made some great halibut cheeks a month or so ago.

Salmon is the base, but Yellowtail Amberjack has been my favorite as of late.
Oily, dense yet sweet Tangy goodness.
71-BFE5-EF-68-DD-436-E-92-BB-7-D99-DC020754.jpg

Salmon
Whiting
Cod

No shellfish or crustaceans they're the trash compactors of the sea.

If it smells like salmon keep on slamming
If it smells like trout cover ur snout

Salmon is the base, but Yellowtail Amberjack has been my favorite as of late.
Oily, dense yet sweet Tangy goodness.
71-BFE5-EF-68-DD-436-E-92-BB-7-D99-DC020754.jpg
Agree, I love both. And I’ll never turn down Chu-Toro. But I’ll wolf down most any type of sushi :)

Cream Dory. I used to buy them as they were cheap af almost a decade ago. Like $2 a kilo. Then you found out they were farm raised in Vietnam swimming in crowded pens with tons of antibiotics. They really marketed the shit out of Pangasius giving it over a dozen names because people don't wanna hear asian catfish. LOL!

What do you recommend? My in-laws lived close to a wet market (Dasmarinas, Cavite) so I'd go but I never know what to get (or how to ask with my limited Tagalog). This is literally my best attempt without cheating, "Pahingi ang isda mas masarap".....

About all I get is boneless bangus :( .

What do you recommend? My in-laws lived close to a wet market (Dasmarinas, Cavite) so I'd go but I never know what to get (or how to ask with my limited Tagalog). This is literally my best attempt without cheating, "Pahingi ang isda mas masarap".....

About all I get is boneless bangus :( .
Ask for Lapu-lapu(grouper) for pan frying, steamed or served sweet & sour style.
Tanigue (spanish mackerel) for pan frying, grilling, and ceviche.
Malasugi (Marlin) for pan frying, grilling, and sinigang.

Pretty much all of them..

I'm an opportunistic fisherman and often don't pack proteins when paddling/camping.. ie i cook and eat what i happen to catch..

If it's grilled crawfish, northern pike, zander doesn't really matter..

There are ways to cook anything..

If i'm cooking fish under civilized circumstances i usually go for salmon, herring or trout.. possibly perch.. spices and cooking method is everything.. just like with meat..

Last edited:
Been buying whole trout and doing them on the grill. Pretty good.

Cajun fried sunfish or walleye that you just hacked up like 15 minutes ago after staring down a hole in the ice and drinking way too much beer :)

(grandpa's recipe)

Salmon
Whiting
Cod

No shellfish or crustaceans they're the trash compactors of the sea.

Farmed salmon is garbage and should be avoided at all costs. And they usually have sea lice.

Cajun fried sunfish or walleye that you just hacked up like 15 minutes ago after staring down a hole in the ice and drinking way too much beer :)

(grandpa's recipe)

What type of sunfish are you catching? There's some really pretty looking sunfish.

Salmon. I pre-season it with olive oil, onion flakes, garlic, salt, lemon, and pepper, amd bake it in the oven with a few bay leaves for about 20 minutes on 450F. I make some couscous as a side dish, throw in some fresh cherry tomatoes and cucumber, and a little Pino Grigio - perfection.

What type of sunfish are you catching? There's some really pretty looking sunfish.
MN sunfish, mostly the bluegill.

The lil fuckers (pumpkin/green) not normally kept. I think bluegill is literally in 70% of our 10k lakes, but don't quote me on that.

Cast iron pan, tons of seasoning, tons of spice, and I eat fish lol. I really don't care for hali or cod even if people deep fry the shit out of it. Walleye is a 'lil fishier.... but i'll take it baked in butter and lemon.

If I'm in it to eat, sure.... but if I want a nice lake snag -- Muskies. The way they swim through so slow in the winter, just watching yer minnow lose it's fucking mind is fun as hell when you basically have this little 2 foot portal to stare down. Wait, wait, wait, does it have it in it's belly yet? SNAG. Interesting shit in their bellies, lil perch, other peoples lures, minnows... shit eating though.

Bass in the summer, but they don't give me food. That's a catch 'n release operation on my part. Pulling 'em out of the reeds is fun ; it's literally yer own fishing show. Trolling for northers/pike is good, but they don't fight like bass.

Last edited:
Back