1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

What tournament/events are considered premier and which not so much?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Mala, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Mala

Mala Yellow Belt

I'm just curious
    What I have compiled currently

Premier - Gi

Mundials
    Pan-Ams
    Rio Open (?)
    Abu Dhabi Pro (?)

No-Gi

ADCC
    Mundials (?)

Where do NAGA, North American Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Tournament, Grappler-X fall under?

2. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

I feel like the state level ibjjf tournaments are above the naga level events but below the top tier stuff like the mundials and panams

3. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I thought NAGA tournaments must be the most premier events because they give you a sword if you win!!

4. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

The above event has qualifications rounds in its each respective countries/zone which the winner of each open weight categories get a free ticket/accomodation to compete in AB.

5. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Naga and Grapplers Quest seem like they would be pretty prestigious to medal in because of the number of competitors that show up (GQ in Vegas during UFC Fan Expo had like over 1500) but then you realize that there are a million divisions, a lot of brackets are tiny, and half the people at the tournament is walking around with a medal.

6. J Sho

J Sho Green Belt

Can vary a lot depending which belt, since some comps will have very strong depth at white and blue but will be weak at brown and black and some will haev consistent depth across all belts. imo, based on cachet, general level of competition, in terms of CBJJ/IBJJF/CBJJE/Brazilian State Federations/other orgs.

I think only the ADCC and Mundials are truly top tier, with the Brasilieros, Pan Ams and old Copa do Mundo just behind. the competitive level at the world pro gi is still a bit lower than those 3 at the moment but will no doubt increase over time (as per the Europeans which had small fields at brown and black for the first few years but now draw some big names and are very large). i think the new york open is more prestigious than the new other state/city championships at the moment given the size and depth of the fields.

Tier 1
    CBJJ Mundials, ADCC

Tier 2
    CBJJ Pan Ams, CBJJ Brasilieros, CBJJO Copa do Mundo (as was)

Tier 3
    World Pro Gi Championships, CBJJ Europeans, CBJJE Mundials, IBJJF Rio State Open, IBJJF Seniors & Masters

Tier 4
    CBJJ South American, CBJJE Pan Ams, CBJJE State Championships, Brazilian State BJJ Federation Ranking tournaments, IBJJF New York Open, IBJJF Pan No Gi, IBJJF Brasiliero No Gi, USBJJF American Nationals, other large national championships (e.g. Gracie Invitational - UK, Scandinavian Open, Spanish Cup, British Open, English Open, AFBJJ Pan Pacific, IBJJF Asian Cup) CBJJE Europeans, Some NAGA and GQ Events, FILA Worlds Gi (currently), FILA Worlds No-Gi (currently)

Tier 5
    Other NAGA and GQ Events, other local or regional tournaments, other IBJJF City Championships (currently)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  7. nefti

nefti Red Belt

i wonder how big the No gi pan ams /mundials will be...

8. FXG

FXG Orange Belt

our pro divisions have been pretty sick, we have had some sick competition, guys like: Hector lombard, marcus almieda, and Ruben alveraz (beat ryan hall), sam mccoy....

we are building and i believe we will one day be a national/international circuit...

9. DutchMafia

DutchMafia Orange Belt

We've seen this question before, and this should be the auto response. Well said.

10. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Seems to sum it up well. Nice!

11. peytonlucy

peytonlucy Silver Belt

I'm entering the 46 1/2 to 47 1/2 year old, half gi, formerly blond, non-lactating 110 kilo to 111 kilo division. Pre-register between 7:00-7:15 am 8/27/10 at Don's Discount BJJ only.

12. JeeMz

JeeMz White Belt

shouldnt there be a tournament held with the winners of adcc the mundials and the others to find out who is the ultimate grappler ?

13. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

thanks, good stuff.. Can someone do the same thing for just nogi?

14. akharon

akharon Blue Belt

Many of the guys go to most or all of the tournaments. Mundials decides top in gi, ADCC in no-gi.

15. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

They do have a tournament that determines that. Its called ADCC.