What to wear under shorts for BJJ/grappling

Shins of Steel***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just took my first BJJ/grappling class tonight and loved it. I just wore some basketball shorts and boxer briefs but I am wondering what you all wear. Do you wear a cup, a jockstrap? I noticed some guys had some tighter spandex looking shorts on underneath their fight shorts.

Cup, Jock, Compression Shorts for me.
Keeps things where they are supposed to be

Gotta have boxer briefs, or better yet get some Under Armour drawers. Boxers bunch up on the sack too much. Whatever you do, don't sport the thong.

I just took my first BJJ/grappling class tonight and loved it. I just wore some basketball shorts and boxer briefs but I am wondering what you all wear. Do you wear a cup, a jockstrap? I noticed some guys had some tighter spandex looking shorts on underneath their fight shorts.

The spandex shorts are compression shorts. There's plenty of brands out there. I've been beating up my cheapass starter ones for a few months now. I plan on getting the under armor one with a cup pocket or the jaco sometime soon.

incp4w.jpg

She needs to shave better. TS, I wear UA or BadBoy VT's underneath.

yea,I noticed,funny,she can shave her 'bits' but not her legs?She's probably German....

And on topic,I wear compression/lycra shorts.

Muay Thai-steelcup, Under Armour-compression short and I'm ready to roll!
This isn't my grappling-only setup, I wear this also for boxing, muay thai and mma-alround training.

I wear a cup without straps or anything, so I have to wear tight boxers to keep it in place because it would probably do more damage than prevent it if it is out of place.

Compression short + (MMA/grappling style) board shorts.

I dislike rolling with a cup and after years of rolling near 100% I still don't see the need. Some people disagree with my views though.

Muay Thai-steelcup, Under Armour-compression short and I'm ready to roll!
This isn't my grappling-only setup, I wear this also for boxing, muay thai and mma-alround training.

Do you slip your steel cup in the pocket of your UA comps? Or do you actually tie it down?

I wear a cup/jock with compression shorts over them. Works perfect.

Yeah man, I have been training tpjj for about a month and a half, I just got a pair of compression shorts from walmart and another pair from a sporting goods store. They don't have to be super expensive. Both of mine were about 15 to 20 and they work great.

GET THEM LONG. My pair from walmart are a bit on the short side and they sometimes bunch up and it's uncomfortable.

Shock Doctor compression short with the cup is excellent, I had it for years now and its excellent.

Back