What to expect with Rippetoes Starting Strength?

ronki23

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing some bodyweight exercising from Sept-Feb (approx) and have been doing lots of kickboxing/sport karate too. Recently, for 2 months (approx) I have been following the workout from Bruce Lee's "Art of Expressing the Human Body" and changed flat bench press to incline press and back squats to barbell hack squats

Clean and Press-2x 8-12 reps
Bicep Curls-2x 8-12 rep
Shoulder Press-2x 8-12 rep
Upright Row-2x 8-12 rep
Hack Squat-2x 12-20 rep
Barbell Row 2x 8-12 rep
Incline Press 2x 8-12 rep
Pullover 2x8-12 rep

^I lift half as much as I did last year due to more reps and speed being the target

I ate 1-1.25g protein per pound lean bodyweight,had a protein shake (15-20 g +) with peanuts/almonds between meals (60-80g carbs,10-20g fat and 30ish grams protein)but now kickboxing season is over, I want to transform myself.

I wonder if a Rippetoes Starting Strength Routine will make me add on substantial strength/noticeable mass in 6-8 weeks if I also eat for size? Will it also help get rid of the moobs and flabs? Dare I say it, would substituting bench press for inclines help get rid of the moobs?

^I want to lose 3-5% bodyfat in 2 months with it and I will also be doing Ju Jitsu once a week and Tai Chi once a week for I need a break from kickboxing. What if (like in kickboxing), they make me do circuits/push ups-would that ruin the test/mess with the results?

I wonder if a Rippetoes Starting Strength Routine will make me add on substantial strength/noticeable mass in 6-8 weeks if I also eat for size?

Yes.

Will it also help get rid of the moobs and flabs?

That's more dependent upon diet than anything else but potentially yes.

Dare I say it, would substituting bench press for inclines help get rid of the moobs?

Has little to no bearing on it.

I have been doing some bodyweight exercising from Sept-Feb (approx) and have been doing lots of kickboxing/sport karate too. Recently, for 2 months (approx) I have been following the workout from Bruce Lee's "Art of Expressing the Human Body" and changed flat bench press to incline press and back squats to barbell hack squats

Clean and Press-2x 8-12 reps
Bicep Curls-2x 8-12 rep
Shoulder Press-2x 8-12 rep
Upright Row-2x 8-12 rep
Hack Squat-2x 12-20 rep
Barbell Row 2x 8-12 rep
Incline Press 2x 8-12 rep
Pullover 2x8-12 rep

^I lift half as much as I did last year due to more reps and speed being the target

I ate 1-1.25g protein per pound lean bodyweight,had a protein shake (15-20 g +) with peanuts/almonds between meals (60-80g carbs,10-20g fat and 30ish grams protein)but now kickboxing season is over, I want to transform myself.

I wonder if a Rippetoes Starting Strength Routine will make me add on substantial strength/noticeable mass in 6-8 weeks if I also eat for size? Will it also help get rid of the moobs and flabs? Dare I say it, would substituting bench press for inclines help get rid of the moobs?

^I want to lose 3-5% bodyfat in 2 months with it and I will also be doing Ju Jitsu once a week and Tai Chi once a week for I need a break from kickboxing. What if (like in kickboxing), they make me do circuits/push ups-would that ruin the test/mess with the results?
you will gain size but don't get too high of hopes you're not going to be "ripped" by the end of this, you get rid of moobs by losing bodyfat (working out a bodypart won't make you lose fat in that bodypart)... rippeetoes is best when done by itself but no one can really say how your martial arts training will exactly effect your gains...

i feel like i should give sources for this stuff, but this is the general opinion of people on the forum

you will gain size but don't get too high of hopes you're not going to be "ripped" by the end of this, you get rid of moobs by losing bodyfat (working out a bodypart won't make you lose fat in that bodypart)... rippeetoes is best when done by itself but no one can really say how your martial arts training will exactly effect your gains...

i feel like i should give sources for this stuff, but this is the general opinion of people on the forum

I don't like what you said in the bolded part. Ripp uses Starting Strength to build an athletic base. He frequently talks about the difference between powerlifting and functional movements for all athletics.

To the TS. If you read Starting Strength, get a better understanding for what should go on in the weight room, you WILL get stronger, absolutely. The base of the book is to increase athletic performance through strength. He contests that strength training should be the base of all sports specific training, using the premise (paraphrased, and very much so) "if you can be stronger, you can be better."

the weight and body fat stuff is all secondary.

I don't like what you said in the bolded part. Ripp uses Starting Strength to build an athletic base. He frequently talks about the difference between powerlifting and functional movements for all athletics.

absolutely I was only saying that one gets the best gains on ripps by doing only ripps

anyone with any goal should do a ss type of program to get a good strength base

To the TS. If you read Starting Strength, get a better understanding for what should go on in the weight room, you WILL get stronger, absolutely. The base of the book is to increase athletic performance through strength. He contests that strength training should be the base of all sports specific training, using the premise (paraphrased, and very much so) "if you can be stronger, you can be better."

the weight and body fat stuff is all secondary.

The other thing is that martial arts classes are my cardio but most of the time they make us do circuits or press ups/sit ups/squats for fast reps or even for as many reps as possible-that won't mess with results will it?

The other thing is that martial arts classes are my cardio but most of the time they make us do circuits or press ups/sit ups/squats for fast reps or even for as many reps as possible-that won't mess with results will it?

You won't get the same results doing SS + martial arts training as you would if you just did SS by itself but you can still make good gains.

You sort of have two contradictory goals in the sense that one usually requires calorie deficit, and the other a surplus....

How about, you do SS+whatever cardio you want, and eat super healthy, with a lot of protein. Don't go crazy eating pizza etc. You'll get a lot stronger and lose weight. Then look to put on muscle once you've accomplished that goal....

I wonder if a Rippetoes Starting Strength Routine will make me add on substantial strength/noticeable mass in 6-8 weeks if I also eat for size? Will it also help get rid of the moobs and flabs? Dare I say it, would substituting bench press for inclines help get rid of the moobs

I lost my moobs and, due to my shitty diet, have not probably changed in bf% at all.

Here is a picture of two guys at around 15%bf to illistrate what I mean.
BF%20-%2015percent.jpg
Though you your bf% may be the same, you can look completely different.
I could hunt down some pics from bb.com of people who lost weight and made great strength gains on ss, but I am to lazy.
Best advice would to be eat clean and do SS. Your will get stronger and your body will change for the better.

Louie Simmons had a video the other day where he talked about doing different exercises at a lower weight for very fast "explosive" reps. He says that his guys do it often. I don't think that it would hurt anything.

Bottom line, and people miss this a lot I think, work is work. I don't think that you will overtrain if you do a plan like Rippetoe suggests + martial arts. If you read through Starting Strength, get a better understanding of what it is (it's not really a workout program, he talks about programming in Practical Programming, interestingly enough, there is a 2nd edition that I just saw because of this post. +1 to you bro!), how to lift according to Ripps teachings, you will:
1. Get Stronger
2. Get Faster
3. Feel/be more athletic.

Couple those things w/your martial arts training, and you have what I think you are looking for.

i cannot stress enough that Starting Strength and even Practical Programming was written to educate. I came to this website 2 years ago looking for advice on what I should do to help students learn to lift weights, because I was asked to help coach Powerlifting. There was 2 pages of responses saying to "read starting strength." The single most important thing I think I have done in my short coaching career. Seriously, after that book our weight room changed.Best read you could have if you want to become a better athlete.

Back