What to expect from first few BJJ classes?

KimuraT15

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thinking of signing up soon.
What do they teach first to beginners ? I mean what is a newbie supposed to learn in the beginning.

The basics, standing in base, passing the guard, gaining the mount, escaping the mount, lots of position work. As remember its position before submission.

Yeah, the flying gogoplata will be the second week.

Fundamentals! Lame at first working them but their by far the most important

I'm coming up on my third week so it's still somewhat fresh to me. A lot of where you begin can depend on what you already know as well.

I came in having read two BJJ books so I was familiar with the theory and concept and names for positions etc. So we worked on getting my positions locked in tight and how to use space and where to push to break guard etc.

You'll hear position before submission and that's absolutely true, I just want to add safety and control to that.

You need to make sure you're safe as far as where you are in your sparring - are you imposing your game or reacting to his? Are you aware you're in a dangerous position?

Once you are "safe" you need to control your opponent - start setting up for the position(s) you want to attain. This is the start of being one step ahead.

Position - move into whatever positions you have a good number of options from and are comfortable in.

Submission - the fun part :)

Just listen, learn and enjoy your classes. You can expect to tap (lose) A LOT, it took me I don't know how many rolling sessions to finally use proper technique to tap someone out - but it was just the other day.

Look at jiu-jitsu like you're learning the piano. You need to learn the notes first, then timing, then you'll play a simple song and after years of hard work and determination you'll conduct a symphony.

Alright sounds good sounds good thanks. It's a pretty cool mixed martial arts gym here. I can do kickboxing on mondays and thursdays and Tuesday is for BJJ. I am liking the Thai boxing already so I can't wait to grapple soon. How much do you spar normally? That sounds like the most fun part of the class the rolling.

Alright sounds good sounds good thanks. It's a pretty cool mixed martial arts gym here. I can do kickboxing on mondays and thursdays and Tuesday is for BJJ. I am liking the Thai boxing already so I can't wait to grapple soon. How much do you spar normally? That sounds like the most fun part of the class the rolling.

We spar (Randori) every time we have class. You'll want a mouth guard. New guys don't spar for the first class or two. It is what makes the class really worthwhile to me because you get to see (quickly) what technique works for your body type and range of flexibility.

We spar every single class. Its the best part of BJJ, live sparring.

What you will learn: Creating the proper angles and weight distribution for every position. Focus on how your body should be positioned.

What to expect: If you are a newbie among vets, be prepared to be positionally dominated for months. Just consider it growing pains - everyone was once in your position.

The rewarding part is hitting that first sub or sweep and then after a few months you'll see a new guy come in and will find yourself dominating him and will remember that is how you were on your first day. Enjoy that moment and realize how your game has evolved from point A to point B.

Back