What to eat with same day weigh in? Only 2-3 hours to refuel.

slow89

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so thought the weigh ins were the day before.... Just found out its the same day weigh. Weigh ins are at 5:30pm and ill probably be fighting around 7:30. Not worried about making weight but have no clue what to eat now.... Ive read alot of the threads on what to eat post weigh ins but havent found one were they only had 2 hours to refuel. Im cutting from 170ish to 147.... Im currently at 157 and dropping fast due to taking only about 20 grams of carbs a day. This is my first ammy so any help would be appreicated.

Pedialyte.

But I have no experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks alot guys.... Any other input would be great.

ok so ive searched and searched but cant find how many bottles of pedialyte i should drink. So 1 bottle 2 bottles, how much?

Rehydrate til your urin tells you that you are ok. Foods that digest quickly and easily, fruits mainly.

Having had at least 300 same day weigh ins in my life, I can tell you eating anything more than a few powerbars is going to be a recipe for disaster. I learned the hard way when I first started wrestling. I always had 1 to 1.5 pedialytes and 1-2 powerbars for a 1 hour weigh in. Even with night before weigh ins for wrestling or fights, I still will not take in more than listed above within 2-3 hours before a fight or match/tourny.

INteresting thread .

Not to hijack this thread but I was wondering how much pounds you can cut off , and then rehydrate without it affecting your performance too much for a same day weigh in ?

Given the athlete is , let's say 200 lbs for easier math purposes ..?

Has anyone here an idea ...???

each person is different. the most important thing isnt total pounds lost. more important is % of total bw lost, body comp, and how quickly the weight was lost and how it was lost.

question I forgot to ask. How long before the fight is the weigh in? If it's within 2-3 hours you should rehydrate as much as possible (that should be your main focus) and also try to get some carbs. but remember, anything high in carbs usually tends to be heavy in your stomach which is a recipe for disaster. Also a piece of fruit. power bars or any type of marathon bar or gel would be acceptable.

So last morning the 19th i weigh 149.5 so thanks to a very low carb diet i dropped weight very quick and shouldnt have to cut much in the sauna...I did lose some muscle, but alot less than i thought. I feel just as strong but alot quicker. This is my first cut to 145lbs (havent weighed this since like the 7th grade lol). Next fight im gonna try to cut more body fat and add muscle..... But anyways back on topic, im gonna drink a bottle pedialyte, some fruit and a small bowl of pasta..... Also the morning of my weigh ins im gonna eat a power bar and take one 1000mcg b12 pill.... My fight is saturday and pretty excited.

Having had at least 300 same day weigh ins in my life, I can tell you eating anything more than a few powerbars is going to be a recipe for disaster. I learned the hard way when I first started wrestling. I always had 1 to 1.5 pedialytes and 1-2 powerbars for a 1 hour weigh in. Even with night before weigh ins for wrestling or fights, I still will not take in more than listed above within 2-3 hours before a fight or match/tourny.

That's a LOT of fighting. *Hides*

Pedyalyte and nothing else. Maybe some bananas if you are really dehydrated.

Food will hinder you at only 3 hours of difference, either its fast digestibl, very high GI or its going to be slow digestible and will draw blood when you are competing.

Slowly rehydrate and eat very lightly if only to calm down the sensation of hunger.

I would eat some starchy veggies like potatoes and others with apiece of meat, fruits and water. However I don't have experience with weight cutting. Just see how you feel. At least you can learn every time by trial what was better or less good. Fruits will give quick natural carbs to restore glycogen, starchy veggies slower acting carbs to keep energy levels steady, meat for some protein and water or pedialyte for re-hydration. Also the fruits and vegies obviously will have vitamins and minerals.

Pedyalyte and nothing else. Maybe some bananas if you are really dehydrated.

Food will hinder you at only 3 hours of difference, either its fast digestibl, very high GI or its going to be slow digestible and will draw blood when you are competing.

Slowly rehydrate and eat very lightly if only to calm down the sensation of hunger.

This man has it right. Heed the warnings. DO NOT eat pasta a few hours before you fight. Forget vegetables as well. AT MOST a banana, powerbar, or some small fruit.

Back