What To Eat Day of Tournament

Carl_AK

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Well Im getting ready to head to my 1st bjj tournament. What's your guys favorite foods to eat night before and day of competition? I should be able to make weight without to much trouble, but I don't have a lot of wiggle room. And I have to weigh in, with gi on, right before my first match.

how much are you cutting?

I lost about 55lbs or so over the summer, but don't have anymore to loose. I'm right at where I need to be, but a large breakfast would put me over. I'm 200 in the morning, have a 5lb gi, and gotta be 207.5 when I step on the mat.

i usually have a banana and thats it. sometimes if there are a lot of matches to go before i'm up i'll have a grain bar or something.

if i have to weigh in the day of the tourneys i usually eat a bananna with some peanut butter about an hour before.

but i am a small guy so you may need more.

For breakfast, half cup of Quaker steel cut oats with a cup of milk is good. (and healthy)

Put a cup of fresh berries in there with a tablespoon of cinnamon for flavoring.

I know the oats are grains(carbs) but it has a very low GI. Overall it is low GI meal(you won't gain much/blood glucose levels will not spike) and the grains will give you your energy.

Eat as close to what you would normally eat as possible. Right before competition is not the time to be trying out new meals. Do what you're familiar with and what you know will not screw you up.

Eat as close to what you would normally eat as possible. Right before competition is not the time to be trying out new meals. Do what you're familiar with and what you know will not screw you up.

The diet forum god has spoken, and if you lost so much weight, your body is more than likely used to a routine of some sort.

If youre truly stumped, try some oatmeal and an egg, something simple that will sustain you through activity.

Cool, I normally have a cup of Fat Free Yogurt and Granola. Maybe Ill just stick with that.

That would be fine.

As with BJJ itself, training is the time for experimentation, figuring out what works best for you. By the time competition rolls around, you don't want to be trying new things for the first time, because you have no idea how they'll work out.

Same goes for diet.

Bullseye

Back