What to do with overely rough training partners?

Sohei said:
Yeah I sparred with a guy who wouldnt be honorable and intead of locking your arm and giving you time to tap he wold just try to crank on it unitl you tapped or screamed. He would also try to grab your wrist or heel and just start rolling trying to twist it until you screamed. I tried to talk to him about it but he wouldnt listen so one time when I was in his guard I went for an ezekiel choke and when he blocked it I just started bashing the back of his head off the ground until he was stunned. He quit sparring with us. ;)

lmao - your ment to be encouraging beginers not bashing there heads into the mats- but if thats what spazs' need then give it to them

I do the ugliest chokes on them. I usually stretch them first until I hear all that air come out of htere body then I choke them or I get in there sidecontrol do a midified knee to the belly in closed tight just to punish them thengo to 69 then kimura attempt to armbar.

Just turn it up on him.

He's prolly like that with all the guys and if everybody cranks it when fighting him he'll settle or quit.

But yes, quite frankly, invaluable experience. Just higher chance of injury.

Ok ok, we have been over the issue of a newbie who is too rough and uses too much force. But... I want to know if it the other way around, what do you guys think. This is more my situation wiht judo. I am new to judo, this is my first year (about 8 months now) and I will get my yellow soon. So there is a green belt who is really good. I have a lot of respect for him and his abilities, he is extremely knowledgeable and has very clean technique and all that. We are the same size and weight. I look a bit stronger than him, but I think he is actually a lot stronger, or at elast whenever we spar he is. He uses this strength and goes very very rough sometimes. On the ground, I am perfectly fine with it, because I can hold my own (BJJ and wrestling background) and don't have to worry about falling down (he is a judoka so he doesn't slam). But standing is a diferent story. I hate sparring with him because he throws me like he is trying to kill me and I ahve been hurt pretty bad a few times. He slammed me one time, landing on top, with so much force my hip was severyl bruised and I could barely walk for about a week and couldn't run for two weeks after. I spar with other guys and girls and don't have this problem at all, just this one guy. No one else has this problem with him that I know of, and he goes easier with the other low belts (but hard with the upper belts).

But, the same guy of the above apragraph, is also the toughest athlete I have ever seen in my life. We have a brown belt from Brazil who is a few weight classes over the both of us and when he goes with the green belt mentioned above, they usually go all out, and the brown always wins from this. I have seen the green belt get slammed from some judo throws hard enough I thought it might kill him. I am talking shoulder height sometimes. Between the two of them, I ahve seen the hardest, most forceful and potentially dangerous throws ever. And he just shakes it off (I haven't seen him get knocked out from a throw yet, but pretty close). So the fact that he gets twice as hard as he gives makes me not want to say anything to him about easing up when we randori, but still I don't want to get my bones broken and bruised so badly I cannot walk.

muerteverde said:
Ok ok, we have been over the issue of a newbie who is too rough and uses too much force. But... I want to know if it the other way around, what do you guys think. This is more my situation wiht judo. I am new to judo, this is my first year (about 8 months now) and I will get my yellow soon. So there is a green belt who is really good. I have a lot of respect for him and his abilities, he is extremely knowledgeable and has very clean technique and all that. We are the same size and weight. I look a bit stronger than him, but I think he is actually a lot stronger, or at elast whenever we spar he is. He uses this strength and goes very very rough sometimes. On the ground, I am perfectly fine with it, because I can hold my own (BJJ and wrestling background) and don't have to worry about falling down (he is a judoka so he doesn't slam). But standing is a diferent story. I hate sparring with him because he throws me like he is trying to kill me and I ahve been hurt pretty bad a few times. He slammed me one time, landing on top, with so much force my hip was severyl bruised and I could barely walk for about a week and couldn't run for two weeks after. I spar with other guys and girls and don't have this problem at all, just this one guy. No one else has this problem with him that I know of, and he goes easier with the other low belts (but hard with the upper belts).

But, the same guy of the above apragraph, is also the toughest athlete I have ever seen in my life. We have a brown belt from Brazil who is a few weight classes over the both of us and when he goes with the green belt mentioned above, they usually go all out, and the brown always wins from this. I have seen the green belt get slammed from some judo throws hard enough I thought it might kill him. I am talking shoulder height sometimes. Between the two of them, I ahve seen the hardest, most forceful and potentially dangerous throws ever. And he just shakes it off (I haven't seen him get knocked out from a throw yet, but pretty close). So the fact that he gets twice as hard as he gives makes me not want to say anything to him about easing up when we randori, but still I don't want to get my bones broken and bruised so badly I cannot walk.

If he is causing too much damage just practising with him then, you can't keep fighting him. If I were you, I'd just say not tonite and kinda make jokes about his roughness. He'' get it sooner or later. He's just a little 'too serious' if he's trying to damage his training partners.

everytime he uses strength you need to use a technique right on that and force him into a real solution.

if he can power out and you can't use a technique to stop him powering out, he is correct because his solution has won. if he tries to power out and your technique stops him then he must now find another solution.

if you cant stop him powering out with technique than use this time to get better and learn how to control a beast. you'd need to improve if this is the case.

dont get someone else involved if you can do anything to keep it between you to. he might not know any better so you're a blue belt and you need to help him. that's why your trainer is pairing you with him. right now, all he knows is you're a blue and know more, but he's stronger so he wants to use his one advantage on someone who is more trained in this style.

TELL HIM if he doesnt stop tell your instructor , if he doesnt tell him something on the spot , find a new school

Q mystic said:
If he is causing too much damage just practising with him then, you can't keep fighting him. If I were you, I'd just say not tonite and kinda make jokes about his roughness. He'' get it sooner or later. He's just a little 'too serious' if he's trying to damage his training partners.

I do not choose who I practice with. I am on a very regimented judo team and the sensei calls all the shots. We practice with who he says, when he says, and we go the route to get there that he indicates (around the two lines of people in this direction, not that direction, for example, and of course never between). Things are kind of cold between me and the green guy who is rough, but we shake hands what not and say hi to each other. I honestly don't know if he is trying to cause damage when he goes so extremely hard. But man, when he goes with the brown belt, I don't know how he can survive the beating he takes. And it is not an issue of poor technique on the receiving end with him from what I ahve seen and most of the times not with me either, and when it is, I am not going to complain because that is my fault if I fell wrong or whatever.

I train with a lot of guys who really like to muscle their way out of things. Personally, I just work on my technical and defensive game. Chances are, if they're being very aggressive and aren't too experienced, they're leaving something open. Usually the arm is a good place to start.

i like training with guys like that
diversity in training makes you a better fighter. if you never train against that style of fighting you wont be has ready has you could.

muerteverde said:
I do not choose who I practice with. I am on a very regimented judo team and the sensei calls all the shots. We practice with who he says, when he says, and we go the route to get there that he indicates (around the two lines of people in this direction, not that direction, for example, and of course never between). Things are kind of cold between me and the green guy who is rough, but we shake hands what not and say hi to each other. I honestly don't know if he is trying to cause damage when he goes so extremely hard. But man, when he goes with the brown belt, I don't know how he can survive the beating he takes. And it is not an issue of poor technique on the receiving end with him from what I ahve seen and most of the times not with me either, and when it is, I am not going to complain because that is my fault if I fell wrong or whatever.

Yeah, thats a tough one. If he is injuring you though, you have to tell him. Just say, man u are killin me-just keep it lite. He should get the hint. Or, tell the coach.

I do know one time that one of my coaches used to bury me with uchi-mata and every fricken time he would knock the wind outta me. Every time. Never complained at the time but it drove me nuts. It got so bad my style changed around fighting him. But, after a while he couldnt throw me with it anymore. Nobody could. Reasonably:)

And you are white or yellow? He's a dik.

When I was learning Judo, there was always this one guy that I sparred with now and then, and we would have fun slamming each other as hard as we could when practicing throws. Brings a little excitement into the game, lol. We would knock the wind out of each other regularly.

If someone is rough with you and you're at about the same level technical wise, just be rough back, but don't take it out of hand. If he flips out, then you can take it seriously. If you're better technically, just wear him out and beat him with superior technique. If he tries to pick you up in an armbar situation, don't be nice and do a situp, arch that fucker back. If he picks you up in a triangle, always transition into an armbar.

Back