What to do when someone attacks a toehold in the middle of berimbolo

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by bfmv300, Oct 16, 2013.

1. bfmv300

bfmv300 Brown Belt

Does anyone know how to counter this? I pretty much always tap early to toeholds, but I'd like to know how to defend this submission. I seem to always get caught in this when attempting a berimbolo, should I just tough it out and try to continue my berimbolo? What are the general concepts to defending a toehold?

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

I will suck so bad at brown, because I sniff a toehold and I tap, more now after getting my anlke fucked up and sat me down for almost 2 months...

3. bfmv300

bfmv300 Brown Belt

Same situation here. I had a bad ankle injury less than a year ago and I'm really worried about re-injuring my ankle by being stubborn with a toe hold. If I had some idea of how to intelligently defend the toe hold then I wouldn't tap right away, but currently I tap as soon as someone locks the grip.

4. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

It's mostly about angles, in my experience. To get the toe hold locked on, you have to get the angle just right and I think many guys (including myself) defend mostly by small adjustments that prevent the attacker from getting that angle. You can certainly use your hands and feet to keep him from getting the grips you need, but if you're trying to do a berimbolo at the same time that's probably not going to be very practical. So I'd say just work on figuring out the angles that are dangerous, and the angles where you can take a little torquing. Just get to the position and have someone put the toe hold on slowly, and see if you can avoid submitting by making small changes to your foot position.

5. BJJArsenal

BJJArsenal Brown Belt

I get toe-holded a lot while trying to berimbolo and I just pursue the berimbolo and end up on the back then stretch out my leg and catch the toe-holding arm from the back. One of Keenan Cornelius' recent videos from the Abu Dhabi Pro's does this without catching the arm and choking out the attacker instead.

6. ASMBJJ

ASMBJJ Blue Belt

This. It feels scary at first when someone grabs your foot when you try to berimbolo but if you just straighten your foot and continue with the berimbolo, it usually creates an angle which is super hard to finish the toe hold. Plus, since they are spending their focus on the toe hold, it is usually easier to transition to their back during the roll.

7. Ongy

Ongy Purple Belt

Reverse/ disengage from the berimbolo and sweep to top position. Check out Tony Pacenski's 55 minute DVD on this - he covers this position.

8. Daveb

Daveb Purple Belt

I actually like when people go for the toehold makes taking the back easier

9. TangoMF

TangoMF Blue Belt

Don't know if this really works but it's rad (at 1 minute):

10. LugWrenchBjj

LugWrenchBjj Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

The Meow bro's turn the toe hold into an armbar.

They spin out of the bermibolo and go to armbar from side control... there's a vid somewhere.

11. BeRGLeZ

BeRGLeZ Ramenbowl

I only get the toe-hold on people berimbolo'ing when it's not not tight.
    I need the space to peel the foot and secure the grip - if it's done properly with the appropriate pressure & tightness, then it won't be so available.

12. yovan

yovan Purple Belt

My buddy went to a Rafa Mendes seminar and asked this same question.

His response: just keep going. He will eventually lose the ankle and be forced to abandon the toehold.

13. codemonkey76

codemonkey76 Black Belt

the way you need to roll to escape the toehold is the same way you need to roll to complete the berimbolo, just keep going.

14. Higher Learning

Higher Learning Brown Belt

this

15. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

Keep on rolling. Toe hold is low percentage if you don't control the far leg. Especially if you have flexible feet. My sambo coach flatly cannot tap me with a toehold if the far leg is free

16. bfmv300

bfmv300 Brown Belt

Thanks for the responses guys it really helps! The easiest solution seems to be just to keep rolling with the berimbolo but I'll try drilling the armbar as well.

17. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

I agree with the advice about just keeping it going. You will kill the angle needed to finish and end up on the back. Then you can deliver your payback.

That's one of the things about the berimbolo that drives people mad: the answer to many of the counters is to just commit to doing it even more.

18. LugWrenchBjj

LugWrenchBjj Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Meow Bro's Case Study: Keep going after the berimbolo like it stole your lunch money, back and forth, side to side with a strong belt grip. Keep going for it, even if your rolling on lava and hypo needles (the streets), and if someone is shooting you, keep going for it, because as Paulo has showed, if you are tenacious and keep attacking it skillfully, it's insanely effective.

True Story.