what to do when guy stalls and hold you down in closed guard

I grab their trap across their neck, with the blade of my forearm driving into their neck. Then you just push to create space

Chokes,...make him respect, then create space. (if In Gi of course)

its not like i could just create space this guy was huge and exhausted it was the last round. .

Here's a big problem. Don't think this way.

I say this as someone who used to think that way. If you just say "I can't", you never try, and you never discover that you actually can. This seriously used to happen to me all of the time. And I mean this particular thing, where somebody got on top and clamped down, and then I was bored and frustrated for the rest of the round.

I used to complain about stallers, about being smaller and weaker, etc. One day my instructor got tired of my whining and made me spend an hour drilling, over and over, the act of making enough space to start moving my hips. Now I'm much better at it, and very, very few people can stall me out when they're in my guard.

ETA: If they're stalling, you need to be mean. The Carlson Gracie/Marcus Soares style of jiu-jitsu (my background) taught me this. There's a lot of room for mean jiu-jitsu. It sucks to have it done, but if you have it done enough then you get used to it and you don't get all pissy when somebody does it to you.

Coincidentally, YJJ's Dave Jacobs wrote a really great post on Facebook about this sort of thing today.

ya ill definitely try the pendulum next time. he will do it again too.

and to trianglegrll. i know exactly what you are saying, no one smashes me in half guard ever, even huge dudes thanks to the mendes style shield i use now. but if a guy way bigger starts in my closed guard and decides to sit on me it can be real annoying. i will try the head push though since he was being pretty dirty too and i got a whole bunch of his sweat in my eyes lol. where you training in toronto, ill be passing through in the summer was going to check out pura bjj in hamilton and wherever samir seif teaches there lol.

Tap and reset? Better than wasting 3 minutes.

but if a guy way bigger starts in my closed guard and decides to sit on me it can be real annoying. i will try the head push though since he was being pretty dirty too and i got a whole bunch of his sweat in my eyes lol. where you training in toronto, ill be passing through in the summer was going to check out pura bjj in hamilton and wherever samir seif teaches there lol.

Yeah, I agree, super annoying. :)

I don't really think of the head push as dirty. It's an effective way to create space, and it's a tool worth having around for the times where you just can't move.

Pura would be a great place to train! They're a really awesome bunch there, though I haven't made it out there to visit. I train at Evolucao in Toronto, so stop by when you're in town!

Back