what to do on the 3rd session

Cool. If you end up doing something like this, I would love to hear how it goes.

Ive decided I will do the program you put up for me. Ill do my second squat/bench of the week tomorrow and then 2x squat/press next week (seperated of course by dead/bench)

Just a quick one though, what reps/sets are you doing for the rows? Are you treating it like a main lift (3x5 or 5x5 etc) or more like an assistance (10-12 reps x3/5)

like yourself im not too concerned about assistance. Im still getting stronger at the main lifts. When it stalls eventually ill change the assistance up a bit.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ive got 5 weeks till my fight. The more I lift, the stronger ill be and the more prepared ill be to deal with my opponents strength.

The lifting gym I go to opens at 6am. My mma gym opens at 6:30pm. This means by lifting more im not missing out on skill training, because theres not a possibility to do anymore skill training.

It doesn't work like that. Strength training 3 times instead of 2 doesn't mean you will be stronger. Focus on progress rather than how often lift weights especially with all the skill training you're doing and being so close to a fight. You won't make a massive difference in strength in the next 5 weeks anyway, you might be better off with the rest.

It doesn't work like that. Strength training 3 times instead of 2 doesn't mean you will be stronger. Focus on progress rather than how often lift weights especially with all the skill training you're doing and being so close to a fight. You won't make a massive difference in strength in the next 5 weeks anyway, you might be better off with the rest.

Yes it does. If you trained 3 times a week with suitable progression and your identical twin brother trained twice a week using the same progression, you wouldnt end up stronger?

I understand your reasoning about lifting so close to a fight though and appreciate the advice.

Yes it does. If you trained 3 times a week with suitable progression and your identical twin brother trained twice a week using the same progression, you wouldnt end up stronger?

I understand your reasoning about lifting so close to a fight though and appreciate the advice.

Not necessarily. I have found I gain strength faster when I train twice a week as I recover a lot better. 5/3/1 has options for 2/3/4 days a week and many people gain just as fast on 2 days as others do on 4 days a week.

You also have to consider all the other training you are doing outside the weight room that eats into your recovery. Adding more so close to a fight is pretty stupid in my opinion. Now isn't the time.

Last edited:
Ive decided I will do the program you put up for me. Ill do my second squat/bench of the week tomorrow and then 2x squat/press next week (seperated of course by dead/bench)

Just a quick one though, what reps/sets are you doing for the rows? Are you treating it like a main lift (3x5 or 5x5 etc) or more like an assistance (10-12 reps x3/5)

like yourself im not too concerned about assistance. Im still getting stronger at the main lifts. When it stalls eventually ill change the assistance up a bit.

Thanks

I usually do rows and chins as assistance. I figure that no one really cares about numbers on these lifts, it is about developing muscle to avoid imbalance and injuries, and to have a swole back. Because having a swole back is awesome.

I guess recently most my rows are just dumbbell rows, usually 5-7 sets of 10 reps. I usually do them between sets of other exercises to save time. "50/20" is actually a great way to do high volume assistance too: trying to get 50 reps of a selected exercise in 20 minutes, any combination of sets and reps, add weight next time if you can make the 50. Usually you can manage 2 exercises back-to-back, which makes it a very compact way to do assistance- a lot of work in 20 minutes.

I know my cardio isn't great right now but am i the only one who couldn't even imaginr doing supersets? I would die doing chinups in between my bench sets and let's not even start talking about squats or deadlifts.

Back