what to do on the 3rd session

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Fenderson, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Hi guys

im an mma fighter who is currently strength training twice a week. However im fortunate enough now to have time to strength train 3x per week. Heres my program, very simple.

Rxs

Squat 3x5
    overhead press 3x5
    squat as assistance 3x10
    log press 3x5
    Leg press 3x12
    Shrugs 3x10

Dead 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Good mornings 3x10
    Bench as assistance 3x10
    Lat pull down 3x10
    Tri pulldown 3x10

So what should I add as the third day? I defintely want to squat twice per week, but I dont want to be pressing twice (I love pressing, but its taking too much out of me)

So squat then more assistance maybe? Appreciate the help. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. raptorjesus29

raptorjesus29 Green Belt

Here is a question for you. Why do you want to add a third day? If what you are doing is getting the goal accomplished, why add anything? In fact, if you want to add something, why not more skill training?

3. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Im doing a hell of alot of skill training in the week. 2-3 hrs each day along with running twice a week as well. Im a tall, rangy fighter who is in a division full of short, stronger fighters. I want to be smashing them from range, but strong if they impose their wrestling/cage control game.

4. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

How much skill training are you doing? As a long time martial artist and lifter who lifts only to help my grappling, if I had extra time during the week I'd try and get another skill session in. It sounds like the lifting you're doing now is pushing you and getting you solid gains, are you really going to benefit more from another session with the weights vs. a bag/mitt/sparring or grappling workout?

5. raptorjesus29

raptorjesus29 Green Belt

I see. Are you getting stronger?

6. Thunderkopf

Thunderkopf Lol, wut. Banned

Back when I was training jiujitsu and muay thai, I was lifting twice a week, three days apart. Either I took a day off or went light in bjj/mt before my lifting days. If you want to squat 2x a week, you can throw in some light/medium intensity squats before your deads. Plus, I think squats are a good warmup for a deadlift session.

Edit: If my memory serves me correct, my program was something like this:

Day 1:
    Squats ramped up 5 x 5 (heavy)
    Bench 3 x 5
    Pendlay Rows 3 x 5
    Hypers: 2 x 8

Day 4:
    Squats 3 x 5 (light to medium)
    Deads (heavy) 3 x 5
    OHP's 3 x 5
    Pullups 2 x Failure
    Reverse Hypers: 3 x 8

Big three + 1 or 2 accessory movements.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  7. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

Faq. No offense that program looks far from ideal.

8. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Whats not ideal? Im getting in the big 4 and the rest is just assistance for the big 4. Ok the tricep and lat pulldown could go but thats just a fun bit I do at the end of the workout.

9. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Yes im making good progress. Im adding 5kg to the squat and deadlift and 2.5kg to the bench press every workout. I love strength training, its great fun and gratifying to see tangible improvement every week.

10. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Ive never thought of doing squats as warm up to deadlift. Very interesting. Thank you.

11. Synapse

Synapse Blue Belt

Well you're getting the big ones, but some of that assistance is pretty bizarre and you're definitely getting too much volume on the quads day 1.

If I were your coach, my main concerns for a third day would be A) what are you bad at B) what's worth doing that won't wreck your recovery C) what are you technically sound enough to do. Can you tell us a bit more about what you struggle with MMA wise, how well you're managing fatigue, etc.?

12. raptorjesus29

raptorjesus29 Green Belt

So then what is the problem? If you are getting stronger, why add anything? Keep doing this till it stops working. And with training skills 7 times a week and running 2 times a week, is more work really going to help? If anything, I would drop the assistance work.

13. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Ive got 5 weeks till my fight. The more I lift, the stronger ill be and the more prepared ill be to deal with my opponents strength.

The lifting gym I go to opens at 6am. My mma gym opens at 6:30pm. This means by lifting more im not missing out on skill training, because theres not a possibility to do anymore skill training.

14. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

I believe Im covering all bases with my skill training. Im pretty well rounded anyway, but any weaknesses I do have are getting addressed by my coaches already (bringing in a top wrestling coach is an example).

Fatigue is there. Im having a rest day today actually. I lifted on tuesday before boxing and it certainly affected my punching power. In the future ill save lifting for monday/Wednesday. Im making sure im getting ample rest and calories. Im around 185 at the moment and fighting at 170 so im planning on bring my weight down to 182 and water cutting the rest.

Thanks.

15. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

I like 3 day splits that do lower body/press/pull, treat DLs as a lower body exercise (and not an upper body pull like SS and SL do) and squat twice & DL once.

If I am doing that split, I like to do chins on overhead day and rows on bench day.

That pretty much gives you a nice easy split, depending on if you want to priortize one press, or balance them. Like this:

For assistance, I really like a bodypart-ish type approach. I divide the body something like this:

Monday- lower body
    Wednesday- back and abs
    Friday- chest, arms, shoulders

Then I will do 2-3 exercises on top of the main ones. Pretty much always done high rep, e.g. 5x10, 5x12. Usually short rests, as that helps with gettin' mah pump on. Often a mix of compound and isolation. Don't over-think it, just whip through, do what I feel like. I frequently skip this though. If I am motivated I want to spend 75%-80% of my time doing the main lifts. The assistance is almost an afterthought. I guess if I was capable of training properly I would be a bit more serious about it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  16. ssdd

ssdd Purple Belt

Hey buddy, read this:
    Periodization for Mixed Martial Arts

With 5 weeks left, gaining strength shouldn't be on your mind. Start doing some explosive work twice a week, and focus the rest of your efforts on skills and tactics/game plan. You're not going to dramatically improve your strength in 5 weeks, but you could burn yourself out by fight time trying to do so. Strength rarely wins fights. Having a better game plan, better technique, and better conditioning does win fights.

Edit:
    Here, read this too. Calvus posted it in the pub. It's long and it's specifically for BJJ, but it's a good read and plenty applicable to MMA:
    The Sport Science of BJJ

Edit:
    This is going to be a technique battle. You want to know how to use your leverage and the techniques to get out of the clinch/off the fence, and put yourself in a position to play to your strengths. Wasting a lot of strength trying to power out of bad situations is only going to zap your energy. You also shouldn't worry too much about what the other guy is going to do.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  17. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Thanks so much for this. Ive skimmed through it and it looks very interesting.

Im really not of the opinion that strength wins fights. Ive trained mma for long enough now to know that technique overcomes strength. Its just another feather in the cap and something that I know my opponent wont be doing properly (lets face it, how many mma fighters do proper s&c?).

Just to make it clear I am already doing tons of skill training drills etc. It just that ive recently become unemployed and its given me another 10 hrs in the day to play around with concerning training/resting.

18. Genghiz

Genghiz Blue Belt

Kettlebells. Throw in a day of high volume swings or snatches for a little strength-endurance/power/cardio.

19. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

This is great. Thanks JA.

20. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

Cool. If you end up doing something like this, I would love to hear how it goes.