What to Do? Home training QS

J

joho

So I've trained at a gym (Adrenaline MMA) great place for close to half a year, unfortunately, as a Uni student I don't have time this year to go there and back to my house due to schoolwork, work, and other responsibilities(Dragonboat, jujitsu).

Also, my housemates are all well.. idiots like me, however, they dislike MMA, as such I don't really know anyone I can partner up with and work sparring drills(ie punch combos slowly, defend and repeat)

I've got a double end bag in my room, and I shadow box often,(usually follow Bas' Muay Thai workout cd') but like the home training thread said, bad habits are hard to unlearn. Should I just stop shadow boxing and practicing striking until I have time to actually go back into the gym?

What to do?

Review stuff that you have already learned in your six months. Don't try anything new.Just review and redo what you already know... shadowbox a lot and use the mirror to work on your form. Hit the bag, do stuff your comfortable with. DO that and you should be okay and you wont pick up any bad habits.

Try getting some videos from a reputable source. Take a look at them, watch them just as you would an instructor or senior classmate. The difference is that when YOU go to do it, you've got to be able to see what you're doing wrong / different from the ideal. It's VERY hard to do this, especially if you're starting from scratch. However, since you're not a complete noob--this might be a viable option to maintain what you've learned.

Though not ideal, you CAN learn and even get better by training at home. The thing is that you have to be extremely cognizant of what you're doing, and be able to give an honest assessment of your performance. It's a hell of an uphill battle and most do not have the awareness and drive it requires to gain skill, but it isn't impossible, more so improbable.

Will you be able to hang with blue belts in a JJ class? Prolly not. Will you be able to spar with guys that have been doing muay thai daily for 6 months in a gym? Prolly not. But at least you'll be getting exercise, maintaining what you do have, and possibly learning something new mentally, if not physically.

Back