1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

What to do against a**-holes who stall???

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by gugamare, Jun 26, 2008.

1. blackfish Orange Belt

punch him in the c unt

2. Bartatua Purple Belt

3. radman Purple Belt

He is wrong. At the New York Open this spring, I saw a Canadian and of course, the Brazillians employ a ground game with the limited ground time- saw triangles and arm bars applied. The Brazillian Judoka, much to my amazement pulled a submission with a triangle.

But goign back , even if he turtled up, gi choke could have worked.

4. Jinzumkei Rock El Columbian

no offense, but what level are you? He was just turtling and you couldn't break him down? This seems to be a standard Judo thing when people get their backs but someone with a decent amount of grappling training should be able to break down a turtle relatively quickly.

Sounds like you were obsessed with choking him out instead of maybe practicing proper technique.

5. gugamare Blue Belt

Enlighten me with what "the proper technique" is . My guess is you've never really grappled with a bigger Judoka, who's a bit nutz and who's hell bent at avoiding any kind of ground work. I think so only the gentleman who posted the stephen Kesting video understands that I know all the basic chokes, and basic techniques. I'm looking for analysis. If you got some, I'm all ears.

Oh, and the gentleman who posted the Sambo Armbar technique, thanks.

6. TJS Brown Belt

That sambo armbar was slick.

7. Bartatua Purple Belt

Yeah I want to try that next time I do gi.

8. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

I have grappled Judoka in Japan with the EXACT mentallity that your opponents have. It doesnt matter. If they are picking you up, your technique isnt good enough. Simple as that really. Keep spinning as your opponent stands and he will lose his balance and fall.

For turtle, something is open. You gotta sacrifice something if you are gonna defend the gi choke. I go for the spinning armbar. I prefer this one because the instep on the back of the hand rolls the opponent more. I dont even need to control my opponents leg like Bravo does in the vid.

YouTube - Submissions 101 Presents: Eddie Bravo Swim Move

That worked on a 130 kilo Judoka with a killer turtle. He couldnt stop it.

9. Jinzumkei Rock El Columbian

You're right I might have never grappled with a Judoka who's only goal was to NOT engage me on the ground, but I have rolled with many people who are bigger than me that includes Judokas.

My criticism is because it sounds like you were just straining really hard to get a choke instead of trying different things. Why not just try simple things like:

1) put 1 hook in, get a deep grip in the back of his lapel and pull him into back control and work from there.

2) get on the side, grasp his elbows together, and push him on his side

or maybe:
    YouTube - Attacking the Turtle Position: Roll

or

YouTube - Clock Choke from Turtle Position

or the dozens of other way to attack the turtle.

10. hayliks Banned Banned

It's not arrogant if you can walk the walk.

11. gugamare Blue Belt

Thanks a milhon Calibur and Jinzumkei.

Sorry if I'm being a bit agressive in the thread. But there's allot of Keyboard warriors here treating me as if I were just a d*ck. I really appreciate the guys who are giving me honest pointers.

12. gugamare Blue Belt

Just wanted to address some specific points:

You're absolutely right here. I've been working for a while in keeping calmer when attacking bigger opponents from the guard. The first time the wanker picked me up I actually forced a wrong armbar on purpose. I was showing the class in the demonstration earlier that with the cross-grip you can get picked up and still lock-in an effective armbar. The second time he just stood-up when moved to an open guard. Keep in mind we were doing ne-waza here starting from the ground here. Any ways, the third time I was allot more careful and I got him in the guard, when he tried to get up I swept him and managed to get his back.

Interesting Technique. A bit different than I'm used to doing. I got to try it next time.

Do you have any pointers in getting your arm inside his? Some of the guys lock themselves really tight and with the friction of the GI... WOW, spend allot of energy on this one.

Thanks again.

13. Kimuralex Brown Belt

thing is, those who usually walk the walk are not the ones who talk shit and are arrogant beyond belief...its usually the guys who think they are good when theyre really not

14. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

If you have a hook in and they are defending the neck fiercely than something HAS to be open. If they defend their neck they have to spread their knees or else they loose their balance and tumble over. That means you can take his arm when it is close to his belly.

In Bravos video he attacks the opponents right arm. He crosses over and grabs his the arm with his own left arm. The other arm grabs his opponents foot. He places his left instep on the back of his opponents foot, and spins. The weight of Bravos instep on his opponents head off balance. The other leg will turn the opponent, and Bravos hand on his foot will steer.

I do it different. A good Judoka will prevent you from reaching over and grabbing their arm while defending the collar choke. But they can not defend it from underneath without losing their balance. If you are attacking the right arm, than your right arm reaches underneath his. Open your guard like before and complete the spin without grabbing his foot for steering.

If for someone reason your opponent keeps his balance, his balance should be spread so thing you can just finish with a belly down armbar.

Hope that isnt too complicated.

15. adubswils White Belt

Im surprised no one else has realized this. It seems pretty clear that this never happened.

It has all the signs. OP talks about how he is really technical. The supposed evil doer is much larger. Because of his groundwork skills the small bjj player dominates. But the evil doer tries to hide behind his antiquated rules. Woe is me. Folks in the thread reply that the OP should practice according to club standards/judo rules. But wait! The OP has really done judo for much longer (which must be quite alot of judo practice given that he is being asked to do some teaching)... But is surprised that someone practices turtle defense during newaza practice... Odd. But thankfully the evilness of antiquated judo rules is exposed to the judo class which comes to appreciate the obvious superiority of bjj.

Things do not seem to add up.

16. Bartatua Purple Belt