1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

What to do against a**-holes who stall???

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by gugamare, Jun 26, 2008.

1. hayliks Banned Banned

you should just break his arm with a hard armbar before he has time to stand up, then see what he says. i've rolled with a number of judo black belts with this philosophy, but have never had trouble submitting them in less than 30-40 seconds, when they ball up i tend to threaten 2 things, the arm and the neck, usually the arm frees up because they worry about their neck so much.

2. TheBigS Green Belt

If it is a Judo class, then focus on Judo groundwork. I think the guy you are calling an asshole has a legitimate point. It sounds like you are trying to justify doing bjj instead of judo by telling him you want the rules to be more "relaxed."

What if someone came into a bjj class and did things that were illegal and then told you that its okay because they wanted to relax the rules a bit? I bet you would be pissed and treat the guy like a dick, sort of like that guy is doing to you.

Given that they honored you by allowing you to be a guest instructor, its not your place to change things up like that.

As far as getting revenge, with all the stuff you mentioned, if you are an experienced judoka, you would know such tactics and attitude violates the spirit of the entire art.

3. georgejjr Black Belt

Exactly right. Its a judo club, play by judo rules. How would you feel if during a BJJ class a guy in your guard started doing GnP because it was legal in MMA? I suspect you'd point out to him that if he wanted to do GnP he should do it during MMA practice, not during BJJ. Moreover, that kind of dirty fighting tends to spread - you'll find yourself being dropped on your head "accidently" during standing randori if his tachi waza is better than yours. And will probably end up being kicked out of the club as a trouble maker, just like someone who started throwing elbows and punches during grappling would be shown the door in a BJJ club.

Having said that, there are a lot of turnovers for the turtle that work pretty well if you've got 30 seconds or more to do them in (and if you're really good you can do them in the 15 seconds you get in tournament judo ... you even see this at the olympic level, where people defend via the turtle exceptionally well). Work on a few of the turtle turnovers ... if you've a BJJ background you'll pick them up quickly, they're nicely technical and reminiscent of much of what you see in BJJ - in fact I suspect some came out of BJJ. Don't get mad, just spend a bit of time practicing turnovers and then get him within judo rules ... it'll piss him off way more than any dirty technique would.

4. georgejjr Black Belt

Double post :redface:

5. -Jonny- White Belt

I just recently found out what that word means. My English friend called me a f*cking wanker one day and I started dying from laughing. It rolls off the tongue rather nicely.

Back on topic: I don't think fighting with a mindset like that would be necessary. Someone posted a vid a while ago that has helped me with my finish on the RNC. YouTube - A Rear Naked Choke Tutorial

If you haven't already try some of these techniques.

6. mfgillia Purple Belt

If he can't escape the position then he should be defending to the best of his abilities at least until he learns some new skills. That's good for you. Yes you can't tap him now cause I guess he's the first guy you've encountered in awhile that has a good defense. Adapt by learning some new skills such as many of the ones suggested previously. Later thank him for forcing you to expand your game. :redface:

Yes, its hard to remain objective if the guy is a dick you routinely have to tolerate but what's the alternative? Become one too?

Oh, and a 20 pound weight advantage in BJJ isn't shit. Doesn't every gym have 2-3 guys that weigh in around 135 or 140 pounds giving up 50/60 pounds on average? :icon_chee

7. furdog Blue Belt

You. Are. Psychotic.

8. Kimuralex Brown Belt

slowly but surely i am seeing why so many people(a lot of judokas included) think of bjjers as arrogant pricks....the TS proves them all right unfortunately...

9. lolbjj Yellow Belt

You're fucking crazy. In a bad way.

10. stlnl2 Blue Belt

The problem here is one of attitude. You are letting a guys bad attitude give you an equally bad attitude, the "I'll show 'em" sort. Just prefect your game and let idiots be stupid, its what they do and they dont change.

11. ISWThunder HTTP Error 404 File Not Found

I would, but he is a Judo brown belt (im a white belt in both) and the instructor has already told him he needs to be active. But he does the minimal amount of effort for 10 seconds and then plops back into turtle.

Plus I dont want to make him feel weird and not want to hang sround because he is the only one around my weight who doesn't repeatedly tap me in 20 seconds at 50%. The other big guys who consistently show up in the class are Judo Black belts (one also a Serra purple belt) and NAGA champions.

My general strategy, at least last night, was to cross-face the shit out of him and hope for an opening. But usually I'll get frustrated after 3 or 4 minutes, do something stupid, get swept and have him do his patented crush your head with my entire body submission. At which point I'd rather tap then sit there being crushed in practice.

12. ViceGrip Blue Belt

You were working an RNC while rolling with a Gi on huh....

I call bullshit. Any two stripe white belt who had solid back control wouldn't need to use a fucking RNC to finish someone, they'd be smart enough to abandon the RNC, and use the myriad of Gi techniques at their disposal to get a tap.

13. stlnl2 Blue Belt

Hmm in this case just keep your trap shut because you are nothing at two combat sports. Just get better and worry about yourself, nothing worse than a mouthy white belt.

14. gugamare Blue Belt

Hey guys, just an update on what I decided to do during practice last night. I talked to the Judo teacher about the mishap during the Tuesday practice, and he agreed with me that the Wanker I talked about has been getting on the nerves of every one in the club. The a** hole was not there yesterday. He usually avoids the Thursday classes, since that's the night with allot of the big boys.

So asked his permision to kick him out of the ground sessions I've been leading if the guy doesn't want to cooperate. He was super cool about it, if fact he say I not only did I have perssion to do it but I should have done it already on Tuesday's practice.

Anyways, we did our warm-up and he asked me to teach a few minutes of ground technique so decided to have a little seminar on illegal techniques that you can use from the turtle position. I asked for my partner to try to defend the turtle and showed the face crush, the hands-over the mouth and the chin to the eye cheap shots.

During demonstration and during practice the new guys were really surprized how and how effective these were and how hard it is for the referee to see most of them. The guys who compete were very familiar with these.

Anyways, it was actually a really fun class. We all had a good time and I think I got my message accross.

15. gugamare Blue Belt

Thanks for the video. Kesting has a really nice way to explain things. It's been a while since I've seen any videos of him.

16. ISWThunder HTTP Error 404 File Not Found

Basically my opinion as well, but it also seems like some of the instructors are not too happy with the guy either, so ill just let them handle it.

But since we are a small school, I cant imagine them do anything that would make him not want to be around, thus losing his $ every month.

17. gugamare Blue Belt

It's actually a pretty big club, so I don't think it's anything to do with $. It's just this one guy who's really REALLY weird. He's so freaky no one is quite sure that he's getting what we're saying. You ask him a question during training he answers with a grunt. So I think the instructors just ignore his presence.

I mean it's f*cking crazy!! I'm the Brazilian, I'm the guy who's suppose to speak broken French, but this guys is French and no one understands how to comunicate with him. I've heard people in the club say the same thing.

18. Kimuralex Brown Belt

showing chin in eye and face crushes to new guys? and people complain that some white belts learn leglocks?????:icon_conf

19. gugamare Blue Belt

Most of the guys last night were black and brown belts. We made it prety clear to the new guys that it's not cool to use these during practice, and not cool to use during tourneys. But since are hard for the ref to catch, some one in a tourney might try it on them.

20. saywhuuh Brown Belt

make that db sleep