What time do you show up to class?

HotViolence

White Belt
Reaction score
Are you there beforehand to stretch/socialize a bit?
On time and ready to warm-up?
A little late because of work/previous engagements?
Fifteen minutes late to miss warmups?
I expect few few if none of you to be the latter since you're all posting here and fairly serious about your classes.

I'm almost always early because I live quite close to my gym and value extra stretch time as gold. My cousin on the other hand is consistently late from laziness.

P.s. Sort of a given but never rely on a habitually late person to bring you your gi on time because you end up stretching in jeans.

Usually 5-10 minutes before the warm up

I doubt people will own up to the latter, but i suspect there are some cases. I know of a couple guys who do that, and nothing pisses me off more.

i usually show up bout 20 min early, im usually the first one there, get changed, little stretchign and just relax and talk with other ppl as they show up ( i train at a small gym and were all pretty good friends). then after class most of us just chill out and talk for a bit.

I get there 5 to 10 minutes early so that I can chat with some folks, stretch a little and generally get ready mentally.

I'm always early because for some reason I hate to be late for anything no matter what it is. But BJJ expecially, I hate when people are late for class unless it's a good reason.

In time to do my stretching at the same time as my coaches do theirs...

i'm very disciplined about a lot of things in my life. But one thing that I've begun to focus on more than ever is being early for work and early to jiu-jitsu. I've always been a 5 minutes early or 5 minutes late kind of guy. With jiujitsu and with my job this means that I barely make it on the mat when warmups start, if I make it at all.

Warmups are so essential to a class for fundamentals, flexibility, and balabce that missing them is foolish. Especially with all of the unnecessary injuries that occur from drilling/rolling cold.

I'm 30-45 minutes late on weekdays. On weekends, I'm 15 minutes early.

Class starts at 6pm and ends at 8pm.
I show up at 6:30pm and leave at 7:30pm

I asked my coach if I was missing anything crucial at the start of class like warm ups and stuff he said he usually lets the students warm up on their own at the start of class and he runs drills for about an hour so yeah. I'm not saying I SHOULDN'T be there at the start to the end but getting beat up for an hour is enough for me. I've only been doing bjj for 2 days and I have to take a rest day inbetween.. shit is rough. I was so sore as fuck yesterday. It reminded me my first day of lifting at the gym. The next day I couldn't move. This was just like that.. my neck, biceps, traps, shoulders, pecs, abs, quads, calves, forearms and hands were all sore, some worse than others and some (my legs, namely my quads) were so bad that I couldn't even lift them up all the way.

Totally varies, I would be 30 mins early every class if I could, to stretch, foam roller, change, tape up, warm up, work on specific stuff, innappropriately shout "Hammer Fist" at someone having trouble passing guard.

Many classes though I am scrambling in late from work, kid's baseball game, whatever.

I like to show up 5-10 minutes early if I can just to get on the mat and start stretching and get in the zone. Depending on work/school though, I can end up 10-15 minutes late and miss warmups/stretching.

Personally I can't understand why someone would want to skip the 'boring' warmup or whatever. Whenever i'm forced to miss it, I definitely feel it for the rest of class and after

Talk to the other guys there or get extra instruction on a technique I'm working on that I have issues with or something like that

This is what I do. Go early, stretch, work on stuff, talk w/ my teammate/friends.

If I have the day off, I'll show up a little early to socialize/ask people how exactly how they kicked my ass the last time.

Relatively often, I arrive from work and am a little late. Usually this is only a few minutes, but sometimes, I miss the warm-ups entirely.

I'd rather come late and train than not train at all.

I leave my house an hour before class and I usually get there with a half hour to spare. I just feel that I ALWAYS need a bunch of extra time before class for some reason. I usually just sit there, watch Muay Thai class, talk to Bart Palezewski (Muay Thai teacher and fighter), and wait for everyone in BJJ to show up and socalize with them.

show up 5 min into the warmups on monday and wednesday due to class / work timing conflicts. show up 15-30 minutes early tuesday, thursday, saturday and sunday

Usually get there at least 15-20 minutes before class starts to change, get warm, fool around and make sure I'm focused.

Back