What things do you focus on when you're gassed?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by HighestHand, May 13, 2014.

1. HighestHand

HighestHand Blue Belt

I've been working on my cardio for a while but it still isn't at the level where I want it.

Every sparring class, I spar about 10 rounds with a lot of different people. Towards the end, I tend to get owned and my hands feel super heavy.

My question is, what is your plan a, b, or c when you get gassed? How do you also deal with it? Any immediate solutions to it?

I know this may be a stupid question but if you're fighting a bout and you're super gassed at let's say round 2, deep breathing is the key. Would hyperventilating (breathing even faster than you already are on purpose), which would allow more oxygen intake, be a good or dumb idea? Anyone ever tried? What would you do?

2. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

Lot of posing and feinting whilst I catch my breath, keep jabbing

Dont hyperventilate. Just stay calm, relaxed, and breath normally, albeit more deeply as is natural for when you're tired

3. Devonmac95

Devonmac95 Orange Belt

i normally cover up and focus on landing the big overhand if they start getting carried away and go crazy. If they are fighting normal and not overly aggressive, i stick to the jab, fighting a bit more defensively but making sure they dont go on the offense so its a lot of standing & feinting around for me to get my wind back

4. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I like to hide behind the jab but feign the idea that I will throw a big right cross. It's a total lie, but I'll pull my right back a bit, get kind of intense looking, and act like I'm angling my body for an overhand. That makes the other guy wary, so I don't have to clinch.

5. HighestHand

HighestHand Blue Belt

Do you guys tend to show signs of gassing or keep up a persona?

6. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

I pose until my opponent gets into a head-movement phase, then I throw a one-two-one-two out of the blue while stepping forward. They back out. It lets me pose. Then I slowly lean in and feint a couple jabs like I'm trying to set up another advancing combo... then I just back out. Buys me like 10 to 20 seconds dependent on how much my sparring partner is buying it.

I think a little head movement feinting like you're going to slip to the inside is fairly deceiving and usually gets your opponent down to one punch at a time.

7. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

The most important things to do when you're tired is to keep your form, keep your positioning, and do everything small and with as little effort as possible. Every punch you miss costs twice as much energy, so swinging big with the risk of missing big is unwise. Swing small, and preferably straight. Keep your weight lower so there's body weight on the punches (for boxing), and don't do anything that would cause you to absorb the full force of a punch, like standing up straight or completely still.

8. NAKMUAY18

NAKMUAY18 Brown Belt

Sorry man but that's horrible advice, loading up shots when your gassed is the last thing you should. If your tired and you throw a big, they will see it a mile away, it will waste a lot of energy when it's checked/misses, and they will get pissed that your taking it to the next level because of YOUR bad cardio.

Summer and Apizur pretty much nailed it in my opinion. Look dangerous, stick to what your good at (teeps, jabs, 1-2s, whatever), good body language, keep moving your feet, and deep breaths.

I'd also add that you should think about your gas tank before you get tired. If your doing 10 rounds and you gas at round 8, think about getting your wind in the 6th or 7th, not when your really screwed.

9. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

Hyperventilating, can be used to increase oxygen saturation of your hemoglobin and surrounding fluids for exercise. However, it comes a price, usually severe headaches and muscle pain. For example, people who hyperventilate before they go underwater can hold there breath for almost 12 minutes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_apnea

That being the one real outlier, just focus on regular breathing.

10. AcumenAthletics

AcumenAthletics Orange Belt

One of the biggest things I do when tired is try to stay relax. A few other things are to keep your breath normal, don't show you're tired or tell yourself you're tired, keep proper technique, loosen up on the power and let your body mechanics take care of that (earlier rounds, fighters have the tendency to use more muscle than necessary by pushing, pressing, or sticking their strikes) work on a long range attack (jab, teeps, push kicks).

Keep in mind your opponent/sparring partners are probably just as tired as you are. You must train outside of your comfort zone and condition yourself to fight tired.

11. HighestHand

HighestHand Blue Belt

Thanks everybody for the great advice,

According to many, there's a lot of taking involved.

@Summer like Mino said keep jabbing as in don't let your hand ever leave their face? Or enough to fake around? ?

@Apizur when you say you pose, does that mean you stay stationary?

@Sinister can you elaborate the keep your positioning idea? Don't move around unnecessarily?

@nomilkforsanta I remember that now I can't believe I forgot it. Though I don't remember what it's called... I remember something like hyperventilating on purpose would raise the pH in the body and you can't expel it so when you're diving, the real oxygen amt in your blood is inaccurate, so even when you feel like you're normal, the oxygen deficiency would hit you all at once after 10 minutes or something and that's why many divers drown...
    Sounds like a good plan for a 6 minute fight though LOL. Or a good way to get yourself KO'd.

@Nakmuay I actually noticed this because I felt like I could go through all 10 rounds but then every round we switch and I end up with a fighter that was 30 pounds heavier than me, albeit shorter, and would have killed me if I didn't give it my all.
    I'm not quite sure if amateur fighters go 100% in their first round of their first fight though.

@Acumen nope just me. And also did you write an article for MT pros recently?

12. Sinister

Positioning is what protects you in a fight. Being in good positions to absorb and deliver force. When people are tired, they tend to sacrifice this. Resisting sacrificing positioning is very important.

13. HighestHand

HighestHand Blue Belt

So not being stationary. Basically maintain a position that would keep you out of harms way. Do it however I would, using angles, side steps, hands up etc?

14. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

Great point that should be taken in consideration when planning out how to tackle the 10 rounds.

Another thing is, since youll be sparring people of different levels. When Im getting gassed and clearly out match my opponent I try to work on defense only. Blocking every kick, and teeping like a mother fucker. Dodging/blocking the punches that slip by. Come the start of the next round your recharged and ready to go

15. Sinister

You're making it more complicated than it is. The reason I'm nout giving you examples as dynamic as you want is because staying in position in general, doesn't require you to do anything really other than be ready to hit and be hit. But, positioning and control of distance are two of the first things to go when a fighter is tired and loses presence of mind.

16. HighestHand

HighestHand Blue Belt

Okay thanks. Great advice. And

@pope yeah I'll be sure to try that. I never thought about it until I read an article about how to improve my stuff. If I spar people I know I can beat, to work on my weaknesses. Definitely going to put into practice.

17. jensen34

jensen34 Orange Belt

I'll clinch and lean on my opponent, making him carry my fat ass around the ring.

When the coach isn't looking I'll spit out my mouth piece so I can breath more easily.

Most importantly I just watch my pace and try to get more roadwork in the next week.

18. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

Usually we separate clinch from sparring, or make it known were introducing the clinch in addition to sparring. Otherwise we break after a few beats.

dude get your self a half way decent mouth piece and breathing in it wont be an issue. Picked up one from my dentist and it was the single greatest purchase Ive made in the MT department. It stays in, easy to breathe, and talking aint nothing son

19. jensen34

jensen34 Orange Belt

You're probably right about the mouthpiece. I'm using one of those cheap-o ones they hand out to high school football players. I actually have a big box of them in my garage.

20. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

my preference:

In sparring = Jab n grab/tie up/clinch....

In a fight = Jab n grab, tie up, if necessary a solid short UC (or knee if kickboxing) in the fruit basket will buy you a couple minutes.......

Honestly, i don't have a single piece of equipment that I really feel is not replaceable or that I am that attached to (gloves, shoes, etc).... The only exception being my custom made mouthguard, worth every penny! Spend all ya want on expensive gloves and gear, you'll be much happier with cheap gear and a dentist made custom mouthguard...... just my opinion. But if were going to try to save $ on any piece of training equipment or gear, a well made custom mouthguard would be the only thing i wouldn't be cheap or budget oriented with.

Last edited: May 14, 2014