What the hell was this decision?

I'd have to rewatch, which I won't, but I thought Grasso won as a whole.

Sherdog tends to side with the better looking between the two fighting when it comes to WMMA

The girl who won, won the first two rounds. the 3rd wasn't 10-8 imo but wouldn't have a problem if they scored it that way.

Never looks good when the judges "recalculate the decision" and then this shit happens

That being said, if Grasso had a bit of fight IQ and just kept it on the feet she might have gotten a finish

Problem is her TD defense still sucks. She hasn't gotten any better at all since entering the UFC. She's a good striker with limited wrestling, decent bjj and no TD defense. I was really high on her when she entered the UFC but she fights more tentative now and hasn't improved her weaknesses. She looks like the same girl who lost to Herrig and Suarez.

you dont think she was competitive standing for the first 2 rounds? enough so that the takedowns earned the rounds imo

The stats are there for anyone to see, what little striking there was at a distance was even. Really nothing big happened on the feet till the 3rd when Esparza got badly hurt.

Should've been 28-28 Draw. One judge had it right.

Top control in guard should be viewed as a neutral position
Unless you're doing actual damage on the ground it's just not that good of a position

Takedowns and Top Position
Takedowns that amounted to nothing.

I think at this point i'm exhausted with MMA judging and their bias towards wrestlers who can't effectively damage people or end the fight when having dominant positions.

If only people would look to cause damage like Khabib does, instead of laying in someones guard hoping to win a round.

I'm so incredibly bored with average fighters these days. Sad that Grasso didn't win, because she deserved it despite being a moron and letting Carla off the hook after hurting her badly. I guess fight IQ and killer instinct doesn't come installed in every "fighter" out there.

Takedowns and Top Position
Top position didn't matter. Grasso was offensive from the bottom. Damage, submission attempts, she had Esparza hurt badly and almost submitted her. It was close but Grasso won that fight.

I had it 2 round to 1 for Carla, but Grasso clearly won the 3rd with a 10-8. Draw on my scorecard...and Grasso's fight IQ is suspect to say the least.

I only caught the last round. Thought Grasso could have went in for the kill a few times but ended up going for a take down instead. Was strange. She had Esparza rocked on her feet. Anyway She musta lost those first two rounds pretty bad. Won't be surprised if Dana throws Grasso under the bus for not trying for the knockout. Kinda silly to go for the takedown against a wrastler as good as Esparza when she is wobbling on her feet..

That armbar was nasty though. These girls and their flexible limbs are pretty hard to watch sometimes. Most men would have tapped to that.

pretty tired of grapplers getting rewarded for one takedown, sit in guard and do nothing with. no damage, no threat to finish, just lay and pray. you do it for the whole round, fair enough you stole it. you do it for a minute or two and accomplish nothing, then who cares.

The stats are there for anyone to see, what little striking there was at a distance was even. Really nothing big happened on the feet till the 3rd when Esparza got badly hurt.

Should've been 28-28 Draw. One judge had it right.
like I said.. striking at distance was close. Carla got 2 takedowns in each of the first 2 rounds easily and also got one in the 3rd. Carla edged the first 2 rounds with the takedowns

Round 1- Carla did absolutely nothing with her take downs. Grasso got back up both times and easily won the striking exchanges. 10-9 Grasso.

Round 2- Carla dominated the ground and had her down for the majority of the round and landed some good shots from the top. 10-9 Carla

Round 3- Grasso dominated the stand up and busted Carla up and almost finished her. Grasso did more damage from the bottom for the little while she was on the ground and almost even finished a sub. 10-9 Grasso (Or 10-8 if the modified unified rules are in place)

So at the very least....

29-28 Grasso

Back