What the hell was the hype with the "TK guard"

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So, I am still on my "Watching all UFC/Pride/Strikeforce in date order" run, I am currently up to Pride 8/UFC23?

Everytime Tsuyoshi Kosaka fought eeeeverryone would talk about the "TK guard"

But I don't see the value in it, at least, why isn't it being used today? Was this just hype?

On a side note, Sakuraba just became a favorite of mine

So, I am still on my "Watching all UFC/Pride/Strikeforce in date order" run, I am currently up to Pride 8/UFC23?

But I don't see the value in it, at least, why isn't it being used today? Was this just hype?

Forget the TK guard, your watching thing is way more interesting.

Are you watching fights only, or all the walkouts/intros/etc? Are you fast forwarding or skipping any fights? Are you going to include WEC, Elite XC, Affliction? ppv only, or all televised events?

Are you watching fights only, or all the walkouts/intros/etc? Are you fast forwarding or skipping any fights? Are you going to include WEC, Elite XC, Affliction? ppv only, or all televised events?

Volume off?

If you were really watching Pride fights, then you would KNOW what's up with the TK guard!

But as for why it isn't used today, it proved to be ineffective against SAFTA.

If you were really watching Pride fights, then you would KNOW what's up with the TK guard!

But as for why it isn't used today, it proved to be ineffective against SAFTA.
When RODRM came into play the whole game changed

It seemed innovative at the time. Turned out to be trash.

You still see it here and there, but it's mostly used to stand up to your feet

All of it, I watch intros, walkouts, sometimes pre-fight if i can find them without spoiling anything. I try to watch prelims if they are available, but I won't go out of my way too much if they get cut out (originally i would wikipedia to see the prelim matches but they would just get spoiled in the process, was difficult) The idea is to relive the past, see how the sport evolved, it's a life goal of mine to at least see all of Pride/UFC/Strikeforce since I feel they are the biggest orgs. It's very cool watching fighter's learn and, in many ways, I learn a lot as well seeing all these traditional styles. You get to learn the origins of certain rules, etc.

Don't think I'll do Elite XC/Affliction, may add WEC.

im actually at 2000 grand prix now (royce fight took a while)

This is what I currently have, I started it around Gus vs Jones 2 so that's where I stopped it.

Sometimes I put it in the background while I cook, sometimes I watch it while I'm at home.

All of these fights are viewable on ufc fight pass.

Edit: Went through and added WEC, some serious killers came from there

Last edited:
you kinda have to include WEC and Affliction. Affliction was only like 2 events. Elite XC is skippable, but had some big names as well.

Back