What suppliments and work outs for BJJ

dataws6

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ive always been a smaller guy, so I was always working out and taking suppliments to try and gain weight and muscle mass.

Now that Im into BJJ, competing, and maybe someday doing an MMA type competition. I have a different mindset, although i still want to be in shape I want more flexibility and less weight.

So my quesiton is:
What type of suppliments and work outs do hardcare BJJ competitors use to keep minimal weight/flexibility or anything else that is essential for BJJ?

I used to be between 130 and 140 pounds and bulked up to 170 a couple years ago. I find it hard to get below 155 now.

I used to take NO explode, whey protien, and eat 5 to 6 times a day to gain weight and muscle. Lifting twice a day and running 5 to 10 miles 4 times a week.

now I run 3 to 5 miles 3 or 4 times a week, do BJJ for 2 hours a day 4 to 5 times a week. So to start out Im just using dumbells and pullups to get a few sets in througout the day at home and taking "Mega Man Extreme Athlete pills" and AMP Protien. And eating 3 regular meals a day.

Supplements are crap. It actually sounds like you may be overtraining.

Stop taking the fake shit like NO Explode that has all that stimulant crap and that Mega Men stuff-- that version of it has creatine in it. Eat clean, take a multivitamin, consume lots of whey protein and vegetables.

Workouts: mix up conditioning and weight training. Remember that BJJ isn't about what kind of shape you're in, but your technique, but if you DO wanna focus on the purely physical aspect of BJJ definitely focus on conditioning along with lifting weights to get stronger. By conditioning I mean interval training (HIIT, etc.) and supersets. Go for reps, not for weight.

Edit: eating (more) natural is just my personal preference. lots of people enjoy creatine and energy supplements.

Rolling and more rolling.

To get better and more conditioned for BJJ you must actually DO BJJ. At least that's what they say about Judo.

While rolling you will develop cardio and strenght in places you never knew you had strength.

BJJ isn't wrestling (no offense), a fat out-of-shape guy can beat a marathon athlete with the right technique. Good luck with your training.

I saw a documentary on supplements a while ago called "Bigger, Faster, Stronger." They showed how big of BS the whole supplement thing is. He took some supplements to a chemist and found out that half of them were BS like rice flour, and other filler garbage.

Jon Berardi (sp?) has a book called scrawny to brawny- read it. He also has a cheap book called the grappler's guid to nutrition.

I saw a documentary on supplements a while ago called "Bigger, Faster, Stronger." They showed how big of BS the whole supplement thing is. He took some supplements to a chemist and found out that half of them were BS like rice flour, and other filler garbage.

while I agree that a lot of supplements are crap, you have to be careful in making blanket statements about all supplements. some are quite useful and do what the science says they will do. others, are full of baloney and could never do what the marketing wants you to believe they do.

the main supplements most people might want to consider are fish oil, a multi-vitamin, and some kind of protein powder if they need it. But that doesn't even matter so much as what you consume the rest of the day. Good, unprocessed foods should be the first thing to consider.

If you need cardio, Ephedrine is probably the best pic, but it is dangerous and I believe it to be illegal in the US. general consensus is that most products out there are BS and rightfully so with the exception of a small portion.

You are puhing yourself a lot, I think some good Whey Protein might help you a little, but it doesn’t do miracles. You really need to rest a lot. Take naps if you have time, sleep 8 hours at least at night and eat regularly and eat well (unprocessed foods are key).

You don't need suppliments just lift weights and get some protien powder it will take awhile for you to notice anything but thats how it works just keep lifting and after a few years you will really notice a difference.

Yoga, interval running, high rep low weight lifting, eating healthy and vitamins. Supplements have always made me nervous.

Random but not.

Here is my summer plan...

Super Squats 20 Rep Squat Routine

(I have only lifted for 6 months in 1982 and about a year in 1988)

Mountain Biking-great cardio/mental challenge-Did 18 miles yesterday with a 2,000 foot climb.

Swimming 30 min-1 hr -I'll go like 5 days in a row and then take off for a few days. Cardio/muscle endurance

Hiking with Vibram 5 fingers - a few times per week 1-2 hrs moderate to steep incline with beautiful views of Briones and Mt. Diablo State Parks. This really clears my head and takes my mind off all matters. (including jiu jitsu)

other Yoga, meditation, Muay Thai, Judo, wrestling, blues dancing, hip hop dancing, jogging/sprinting, obstacle courses, MBF body alignment exercises, softball (most painful!!!???)

Diet

Lots of chicken, salmon, turkey, almonds, whole grain cereal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, yams, cheese, Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate and frozen meals.

edit...bananas, apples, blueberries, spinach, leafy vegetables, yogurt

Supplements

Fancy liquid multivitamin
Whey protein
Glutamine
Glucosamine
Green Powder

edit...oops...I am doing jiu jitsu 5-7 times per week 1 1/2 -2 hrs per session with light-moderate-and intense levels of exertion.

Last edited:
Simple. No suppliments. Maybe a vitamin once a day if your diet sucks. Lots of fruits and veggies and carbs (I eat rice every day now that I'm with a Chinese woman) for energy, non-red meats for the muscles. Lots of water. No pop or "soda", 10-30% juice crap, etc.

Shrimping, bridging, 4 points, swimming drills, etc.

Now, go!

Last edited:
I use Bodylastics for explosiveness and drink Whey protein shakes w/ spinach after I am done with my strength training. Lots of fruits and Veggies Post workout.

Simple. No suppliments. Maybe a vitamin once a day if your diet sucks. Lots of fruits and veggies and carbs (I eat rice every day now that I'm with a Chinese woman) for energy, non-red meats for the muscles. Lots of water. No pop or "soda", 10-30% juice crap, etc.

Shrimping, bridging, 4 points, swimming drills, etc.

Now, go!

you need to stop smoking bro! hahahah

Why do you want to lose weight? What's your body fat %? Most guys would be happy to weigh 155-170 instead of 130-140.

And you say you want to do MMA but what MMA weight class do you want to fight in?! Bantamweight is 135. Lightweights probably walk around at almost 170.

You're obviously in great shape if you are exercising that much, and I really don't think you need to lose weight at all. Just focus on getting better at jiu-jitsu.

BJJ isn't wrestling (no offense), a fat out-of-shape guy can beat a marathon athlete with the right technique. Good luck with your training.

Completely untrue. You are never going to win any half way decent tournament if you are some fat out-of-shape guy. Technique is key in BJJ and it is also key in wrestling, but you still need the physical conditioning to be able to implement that technique in a match. If you are not capable of going hard for the duration of your match and being able to do this in multiple matches, don't expect to win many tournaments.

This is true, but not all supplements are crap. Multi-vitamins, fish oil, and whey protein are good to use. Also there are supplements for your joints which will help. But beyond that most supplements are either crap or only very marginally effective.

Back