What style of karate did Horiguchi train in?

Explosion Man

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Can't seem to find what specific style of karate he trained in, he doesn't move like he trained Kyokushin.

Can't seem to find what specific style of karate he trained in, he doesn't move like he trained Kyokushin.

Not sure. Here is a picture of him doing karate as a kid:

2set.jpg

it looked similar to shorin ryu or goju ryu but im not 100%. His stand up was heavily karate based I know that.

he does kyu-shin-do, mixture of karate and kung fu

Not sure. Here is a picture of him doing karate as a kid:

2set.jpg

Second pic looks like Kokutsu Dachi position probably from a Pinan Godan kata so he may have trained in Shito Ryu. An arrow in the dark here.

Second pic looks like Kokutsu Dachi position probably from a Pinan Godan kata so he may have trained in Shito Ryu. An arrow in the dark here.

I knew something tickled my brain about that stance. I remember little technically about my Shito-ryu days as a child, although it did indeed give or hone my ability for swift, balanced kicks.

I wondered during the fight actually. Shito-ryu in my experience is an oddball Okinawan art. My school was respectable, with huge amounts of kata paired with equal amounts of rough sparring.

For what it's worth, I remember circular and straight movement being emphasized equally and importance put on being fast and strong simultaneously when you moved. I also remember almost no reluctance when it came to head shots relative to some other styles. So, just my two cents.

The guys in the striking forum could give you a lot more info, and they'll argue details with each other too.

the type of karate shown in the clip is bogu karate. it is done by several smaller styles and a few middle sized ones in japan (and is very uncommon elsewhere), but I am not familiar with the kanji on his do-gi, that identifies his style. There are a shitload of small karate styles in Japan that noone ever has heard of elsewhere.

Bogu karate basically means armoured karate, and is a form of sport karate rule 8or rules as there are severa different variations) It started out when dojos bought kendo armour and helmets, put them on and went full power at each other. It can be either point (meaning they stop after each exchange to award points) -which is what we see in the clip with him, or continuous (meaning that they just bash away and sort out the scoring afterward or when someone goes down).
a few examples:

Sorry to ressurect this old zombie but anyone know why Kyoji was cut from the UFC? He won all his fights except the one with DJ!

Sorry to ressurect this old zombie but anyone know why Kyoji was cut from the UFC? He won all his fights except the one with DJ!
He wasnt cut he decided go sign with rizen $$$ keep up with the news

Kyoji, I'm pretty sure comes from a Shotokan background but he's probably trained in several karate disciplines. He was successful as a black belt in Japan in competition too.

Kyoji was not cut, he chose to leave the UFC. Rizin offered him a lot more money, allows him to have sponsors and the big factor was Kyoji hated how in the UFC he could only fight two times a year, I believe Rizin has allowed Kyoji the right to compete in other organizations similar to how Bellator let's it's fighters.

Kyoji, I'm pretty sure comes from a Shotokan background but he's probably trained in several karate disciplines. He was successful as a black belt in Japan in competition too.

Kyoji was not cut, he chose to leave the UFC. Rizin offered him a lot more money, allows him to have sponsors and the big factor was Kyoji hated how in the UFC he could only fight two times a year, I believe Rizin has allowed Kyoji the right to compete in other organizations similar to how Bellator let's it's fighters.
Thanks for the info. I guess it makes sense, he can fight in Japan, as many times as he likes, for good money... and he couldn't beat DJ anyway.

EDIT: As for the style, it does look Shotokan-ish to me, but he himself called it "sport karate" and as @shinkyoku mentioned in an earlier post - it's probably a smaller style using bogu / koshiki karate rules.

Thanks for the info. I guess it makes sense, he can fight in Japan, as many times as he likes, for good money... and he couldn't beat DJ anyway.

EDIT: As for the style, it does look Shotokan-ish to me, but he himself called it "sport karate" and as @shinkyoku mentioned in an earlier post - it's probably a smaller style using bogu / koshiki karate rules.

UFC did Kyoji bad too, they offered him the DJ title fight and Kyoji himself said he wasn't ready, that he'd like take 3 or 4 more fights and in 18 months he'd be ready for Mighty Mouse. The UFC convinced him to take the fight now, that they'd take care of him and that he could always work his way back to a title shot....He was sort of pressured into taking it at 23 against his own better judgement and then the UFC tossed him aside afterwards.

Personally, I think Kyoji is one of the only guys who can give DJ trouble. He has the speed, power, athleticism, movement and striking technique. I saw a lot of improvement in his fight vs Baguatinov too. Kyoji is a top 5 guy, I probably favor him to beat Benavidez and Cejudo at this point even. UFC just doesn't care about their fighters unless they can appeal to the North American and PPV demographics.

UFC did Kyoji bad too, they offered him the DJ title fight and Kyoji himself said he wasn't ready, that he'd like take 3 or 4 more fights and in 18 months he'd be ready for Mighty Mouse. The UFC convinced him to take the fight now, that they'd take care of him and that he could always work his way back to a title shot....He was sort of pressured into taking it at 23 against his own better judgement and then the UFC tossed him aside afterwards.

Personally, I think Kyoji is one of the only guys who can give DJ trouble. He has the speed, power, athleticism, movement and striking technique. I saw a lot of improvement in his fight vs Baguatinov too. Kyoji is a top 5 guy, I probably favor him to beat Benavidez and Cejudo at this point even. UFC just doesn't care about their fighters unless they can appeal to the North American and PPV demographics.
Sad but true. I think the UFC isn't very attractive to Japanese/Asian fighters (unless they speak perfect English) and it does very little to promote them to the general public.

Back