What style is Arlovski's stand-up?

Matt Thornton

Amateur Fighter
Joined
Sep 2, 2004
Messages
1,890
Reaction score
0
Seriously. Andrei Arlovski, IMO, has one of the coolest styles of stand-up out there. Would you consider it kickboxing? The other person I've seen who sort of fights like him is Crosley Gracie. Instead of remaining kind of straight legged, and rooting your feet into the ground, (like Wanderlei, Cro Cop, and some Thai fighters I've seen), he keeps up on the balls of his feet, and moves in and out, using lots of low kicks and hands. Occasionally, he'll throw some mid or high level kicks and knees, but only when he's in the middle of a flurry and is sure he won't be taken down. Perfect strategy for a stand-up fighter. People give a lot of credit to Chuck Liddell and Crop Cop for great takedown defense and striking, but Arlovski's got his own science down, too.

So would you consider it kickboxing? Muay Thai? I want to fight like this guy.
 
It kinda reminds me of a young vitor belfort, about the footwork and movement you mentioned.
 
According to his stats, he trains in kickboxing for stand-up.
 
It is his own combination of boxing training and muay thai
 
It's called your personal style.

It is developed over time through training.
 
It's boxing mixed with low kicks ... less Muay Thai, more boxing.

Also for low kicks you'll note he prefers to kick with the front, rather than a full low kick -- uses it as a jab to set up his hands.

Really nice boxing for an MMA guy. The rapid circling, the timing and combinations, all really nice. Then he uses those fast front low kicks very effectively to set up his hands.

It's probably the best type of striking style for MMA I would say -- though the clinch is something else.
 
does anybody know if orlovski actually trained with roy jones as was rumoured?
 
what chad said. everyone learns many of the same tech and such but ur own personality is what makes u unique in fighting. thas how he feel confortable. not about style because boxers style differ from fighter to fighter ali, frazier, foreman. body type plays a part too
 
Chad Hamilton said:
It's called your personal style.

It is developed over time through training.

I figured that's what it was. But I guess I was curious as to whether there's a name for the way he fights, maybe other fighters who do it like he does who I could study.

I was just wondering because I'm studying different fighters and imitating them. I like the way Arlovski fights and wanted to learn more about it. Lately I've been watching some Remy Bonjasky fights because I'm kind of built like he is (except not quite as tall). I swear to God I must be Dutch; no other heritage could have given me these long dancer's legs :p
 
Iceman5592 said:
Seriously. Andrei Arlovski, IMO, has one of the coolest styles of stand-up out there. Would you consider it kickboxing? The other person I've seen who sort of fights like him is Crosley Gracie. Instead of remaining kind of straight legged, and rooting your feet into the ground, (like Wanderlei, Cro Cop, and some Thai fighters I've seen), he keeps up on the balls of his feet, and moves in and out, using lots of low kicks and hands. Occasionally, he'll throw some mid or high level kicks and knees, but only when he's in the middle of a flurry and is sure he won't be taken down. Perfect strategy for a stand-up fighter. People give a lot of credit to Chuck Liddell and Crop Cop for great takedown defense and striking, but Arlovski's got his own science down, too.

So would you consider it kickboxing? Muay Thai? I want to fight like this guy.


Crosley Gracie trains Muay Thai under George Tsutsui. George used to teach Tae Kwon Do, but he is ISKA World Muay Thai champion and was one of the original Fairtex USA fighters. I've never seen him fight in pride though, i've just seen him train. I don't know much about arlovski's fighting style, but there's a Russian form of kickboxing called Draka (In russian the word means fighting). I dont know if Arlovski uses it, but it's another form of kickboxing similar to San Shou. I've seen some of your posts and it looks like you're intrested in learning about as many styles and martial arts as you can, so try looking into Draka and maybe you might see some elements of Arlovski's style.
 
Iceman5592 said:
Seriously. Andrei Arlovski, IMO, has one of the coolest styles of stand-up out there. Would you consider it kickboxing? The other person I've seen who sort of fights like him is Crosley Gracie. Instead of remaining kind of straight legged, and rooting your feet into the ground, (like Wanderlei, Cro Cop, and some Thai fighters I've seen), he keeps up on the balls of his feet, and moves in and out, using lots of low kicks and hands. Occasionally, he'll throw some mid or high level kicks and knees, but only when he's in the middle of a flurry and is sure he won't be taken down. Perfect strategy for a stand-up fighter. People give a lot of credit to Chuck Liddell and Crop Cop for great takedown defense and striking, but Arlovski's got his own science down, too.

So would you consider it kickboxing? Muay Thai? I want to fight like this guy.


Crosley Gracie trains Muay Thai under George Tsutsui. George used to teach Tae Kwon Do, but he is ISKA World Muay Thai champion and was one of the original Fairtex USA fighters. I've never seen him fight in pride though, i've just seen him train. I don't know much about arlovski's fighting style, but there's a Russian form of kickboxing called Draka (In russian the word means fighting). I dont know if Arlovski uses it, but it's another form of kickboxing similar to San Shou. I've seen some of your posts and it looks like you're intrested in learning about as many styles and martial arts as you can, so try looking into Draka and maybe you might see some elements of Arlovski's style.
 
if you read about arlovski, he says himself that he trains boxing about 75% and the rest is muay thai, and from watching his style in the octagon that would make sense.
 
he does sambo...lots of karate kicks in that....but i belive its a mix of kickboxing and boxing....kinna like cro crop
 
Some may disagree and this may be an invalid point to the subject but you can definetly see AA's ego shine through his footwork and hands.

He's very confident.

BTW...did anyone notice that he shaved his body for the Buentello fight.
 
Chad Hamilton said:
Some may disagree and this may be an invalid point to the subject but you can definetly see AA's ego shine through his footwork and hands.

He's very confident.

Confidence definitely takes competent standup to the next level. Who would Ali be without his unwavering confidence. The guy still thinks he's pretty for cryin' out loud.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
1,238,776
Messages
55,585,478
Members
174,831
Latest member
Konster1
Back
Top