what sterotype are you closer too?

zapataxiv

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I have noticed that kicking enthusiasts are generally from two camps religious or agnostic.

Religous: they have a style that they are religiously dedicated too whether it is MT,TKD etc.. they believe that approach is the best and are hesitant to give props to other approaches aside from adopting the occasional technique.

Agnostic: just fans of kicking in general if it's a weird skinny kick in the back of a mantis king fuck book from a dying book store to anything else they are interested and want to tryit .

where do you fall?

I just do whatever works and is efficient

For the most part I dont kick much anyways always been more a box, clinch, and wrestling guy

I'm fairly open tbh. Found some stuff from karate that works and have implemented it in my game to work all around even if it doesn't scream perfection

Eg. Snap kick style push kicks, body cross, or general repping out strikes in the air. So shadow box without the dynamic fluidity behind it, but just repping out techniques. Found it actually helped tremendously. Then again it works for me and my exp level so that's that

A kick is a kick, idc where that kick comes from if it works I'll do it. But I also never got super technical with my kicks, I only used a basic repertoire rather than expanding the number of weapons in my arsenal.

I just do whatever works and is efficient

For the most part I dont kick much anyways always been more a box, clinch, and wrestling guy

I'm fairly open tbh. Found some stuff from karate that works and have implemented it in my game to work all around even if it doesn't scream perfection

Eg. Snap kick style push kicks, body cross, or general repping out strikes in the air. So shadow box without the dynamic fluidity behind it, but just repping out techniques. Found it actually helped tremendously. Then again it works for me and my exp level so that's that
Thats deffo agnostic or on that spectrum
What i have seen is agnostic dudes are the kung fu movie nerds who grew up liking van damme doing the splits in a hetero way and not wanting to believe that tong po was only hit with one jumping wheel kick and then just having the shot played over and over again.
Also usually have various belts from various disciplines throughout their childhood
Definitely agnostic. My base is muay thai but my goal is to fight in mma eventually.
But that doesnt mean you are agnostic per say. Agnostic guys will do capoeira or kung fu just because they are happiest throwing their legs around like a british coal miner’s son in an overrated oscar bait movie
A kick is a kick, idc where that kick comes from if it works I'll do it. But I also never got super technical with my kicks, I only used a basic repertoire rather than expanding the number of weapons in my arsenal.
But tbf i assume you are not really a kicking enthusiast. More of a combat sports enthusiast with (like me) a passion for the sweet science

Im agnostic and generally don’t rub well with the religious types. I tell my guys when they come to me with some goofy shit to try it in our partner drills and sparring games. If it works, try it in sparring. If it works there, try it in a fight.

I just prefer stuff that is practical. Raymond Daniels showed that with proper adjustments, the style that emerges from point fighting, one a lot of people like to hate on, can be quite successful. If some guy from China started whipping out butterfly kicks and beating top guys, I would be interested in learning a few tools of his trade as well. I just don't want to waste my time learning and drilling techniques that either won't work or would be very difficult for me to work into my game.

Last edited:
Im agnostic and generally don’t rub well with the religious types. I tell my guys when they come to me with some goofy shit to try it in our partner drills and sparring games. If it works, try it in sparring. If it works there, try it in a fight.
that's awesome what are some of the Wackiest stuff you've seen become applicable

I just prefer stuff that is practical. Raymond Daniels showed that with proper adjustments, the style that emerges from point fighting, one a lot of people like to hate on, can be quite successful. If some guy from China started whipping out butterfly kicks and beating top guys, I would be interested in learning a few tools of his trade as well. I just don't want to waste my time learning and drilling techniques that either won't work or would be very difficult for me to work into my game.
same

what works is first and foremost the game plan, once then, its okay to incorporate additional material with thorough testing, if it matches your style and you can implement it, cool, if not....well guess thats that

Agnostic. MT guy with a open mind. Wasn't always this way.

At the bottom of the mountain all styles are very different. At the top all styles are very similar.

Your viewpoint is typically reflected by your location on the mountain.

I wish I would have trained traditional martial arts as a youngster when i had the opportunity but thought i was too tuff and cool for

I got a very hybrid kicking toolbox. But a strong muay thai base.

My kicks comes from muay thai, kung fu, and capoeira. In that order.

that's awesome what are some of the Wackiest stuff you've seen become applicable
karate style take downs from a guy who never trained any karate, just was a big machida fan with giant brass balls who spent weeks getting knocked around as he figured it out. One Friday night he got it working and was king of the mat

more religious side but have added a lot of boxing to my muay Tai and some karate not much tho

I recently joined the Southpaw Church of the Rear roundhouse kick.

Everyday I wake up, and hop from the bed, and go to the gym. There, I only do leg raises to work on my hip flexors. I used to be able to do three, now I can rep 10 with a squat rack suspended to my left ankle. I said left, because I don't workout my right leg; I don't need it. I now have a gait, my left thigh bulges under my Fairtex shorts; the right sleeve hollow, moving around as I kick, espousing the form of my femur almost devoid of muscle.
This strange training regimen started to pay off twelve months ago, when I broke my sparring partner's forearm through the shinguard. A few weeks later, one of my kicks was dutch blocked; the forearm didn't break, but the shockwave got the better of five ribs, leaving my partner coughing bone dust.

I'll keep training until the day I can stop someone's heart with the sheer force of my roundhouse kick, stealing their soul to fill that void inside the heart of every left-handed fighter

I have noticed that kicking enthusiasts are generally from two camps religious or agnostic.

Religous: they have a style that they are religiously dedicated too whether it is MT,TKD etc.. they believe that approach is the best and are hesitant to give props to other approaches aside from adopting the occasional technique.

Agnostic: just fans of kicking in general if it's a weird skinny kick in the back of a mantis king fuck book from a dying book store to anything else they are interested and want to tryit .

where do you fall?

Religious.
How else could i please the just bleed god?

where do you fall?

I started with kuk sool hapkido, a Korean Tma but properly started with muay thai when it came to stirking, albeit I kept a tiny bit of tma influence due to being a general martial art fan and having started, as said, with kuk sool.

Later I trained mma at straight blast gym and the kicking was more ecletic than the more focused and basic, but refined kicking that I had done in Muay Thai, so I added some more kicks to my game, as well as snap variations of roundhouses and front kicks . I also learned the odd slightly different approach to kicking that was closer to MT from a little exchange with some Dutch KB's (I've trained at mejiro in Amsterdam and with a direct student of Peter aerts in Japan).

I also picked up a few things from a shoalin guy in Toronto (a kick or two) and trained a little bit of Ashihara Karate (a kyokushin offshoot) for a short while and picked up a few of their kicks (there's a few roundhouse variations I'd like to formally learn from them that I didn't get to chance to pick up tho).

All of this is to say that I'm not a purist like a lot of everyday practioners who are just into whatever they practice and have quite a mixed style now. So yeah, I like to pick up stuff from other styles.

Back