What Should TUF Look Like?

Matthew Fedler

Professional Fighter
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
What have you liked and disliked about previous seasons? Any new ideas you would like to see implemented?

- Single round qualifying bouts
- Weekly ‘Team Challenges’ to determine who picks the fight each week
- Special seasons that determine champions or title shots must be Live editions in order for the fights to count on their official record (Rose should be 12-4, rather than 9-4)
- Only the winner is guaranteed a UFC contract and the rest of the cast must compete in a special ‘TUF Edition’ of the Contender Series
- No alcohol in the house to allow prospects under 21 in the house, not exclude anyone with addiction issues or religious considerations, and also just do away with the stupid/dangerous shenanigans

Keep it the way it is except only have 1 weight class tournaments

I wanna see a match were 2 flyweights tag team match a fight with one heavy weight. winner will go off to fight in a steel cage with tables, ladders, and chairs for the BMF belt.

No team challenges, winner of last fight has the control
1 weight-class tournament
Winner takes 1 million cash on top of the UFC contract so big names could come while the winner will still be tied to the UFC
Contenders have to win a fight to enter the house to prevent cans (I have always been puzzled by Gray Maynard first fight)
Could also do a season with fighters that want to have a first UFC contract vs fighters that want to remain in the UFC (losing streak)
Karo Parisyan comes, visit the teams and ask them if they know who he is

More hooking up and emotional drama, maybe a mid-season appearance by Katy Perry or Lady Gaga.

There is absolutely no reason to start TUF up again when you have the Contender Series

They get to choose who to give contracts to (no Colton Smiths)
No champions get tied up for months at a time as coaches
I have to assume it's cheaper to put on

I have no idea why they aren't leaving TUF in the past where it belongs

TUF 15 was probably my favorite season because it was live, and you could bet on it. But I'm sure it was a nightmare for the guys in the house.

There have been so many absurd gimmicks. Blackzilians vs ATT is far and away the worst one. I hate comeback seasons. TUF 1-2 were dumb in that it wasn't a true tournament format, but rather an elimination format.

I like the concept of pre-seeding (TUF 20/24/26), and I think it's been executed very well in all three seasons when it's been done.

Overall, I think TUF has run its course, and I prefer DWCS.

There is absolutely no reason to start TUF up again when you have the Contender Series

They get to choose who to give contracts to (no Colton Smiths)
No champions get tied up for months at a time as coaches
I have to assume it's cheaper to put on

I have no idea why they aren't leaving TUF in the past where it belongs
What's wrong with Colton Smith? He had the fight of the season on the show, and his losses in the UFC were to Whittaker, Chiesa, and CDF. All three of those guys are ranked today.

What's wrong with Colton Smith? He had the fight of the season on the show, and his losses in the UFC were to Whittaker, Chiesa, and CDF. All three of those guys are ranked today.
Definitely a tough slate of competition, but the guy didn't exactly have a reputation for excitement. If he had fought a Contender Series fight like his house fights, he probably wasn't getting a contract offer

No choosing fights. Randomly chosen within the weight class.

Some of the drama I disdain, and some is a guilty, guilty pleasure.

I actually agree....some was solid entertainment early on. I think it's lost that magic tho. Could be wrong so I'll still tune in but mostly as mentioned.

Less scripted drama, more fighting

Less scripted drama, more training

Less scripted drama, more technical lessons

Less scripted drama, more reality

But they gotta go all "Real World" and "Jersey Shore" so...

I actually agree....some was solid entertainment early on. I think it's lost that magic tho. Could be wrong so I'll still tune in but mostly as mentioned.

I hadn't watched in a while. I don't really watch a lot of tv outside of some sports on the weekend.

The team competitions are rewarded with a van load of hookers and alcohol.

a loss equates to insta-banishment.

wins by point fighting result in group heckling and shaming.

coaches are allowed to use sparring as a means of discipline

Back