What should my 14 year old do for muscle growth

markcowperthwai

Blue Belt
Reaction score
pretty strong kid. he wants to start wrestling in high school. I have taught him a few things, but he just moved to a new school and isnt able to be on the school team this year, as season is almost over. He wants to know how to train, what to eat, what to avoid.

Where do I get him some training in amateur wrestling here in Maine? or is the school coach the best person to help him?

yeah really. 14 year old cutting weight and worrying about grams of protein = shitty life and possible death...

Huh? There is nothing at all wrong with a 14 year-old wanting to get in-shape and learn both how to supplement and eat properly for whatever sport he's getting into.

My advice would be have him see a Licensed Dietician now and get used to having one, and his Doctor, you as a parent, and whatever Coach all work together as a team to be sure he remains in maximum shape and conditioning. If he's serious about it, and you set the example, he'll do wonderfully.

man if you give this kid everything he needs he will grow like a beanstalk in this muthaaaaa

King Kabuki said:
Huh? There is nothing at all wrong with a 14 year-old wanting to get in-shape and learn both how to supplement and eat properly for whatever sport he's getting into.

My advice would be have him see a Licensed Dietician now and get used to having one, and his Doctor, you as a parent, and whatever Coach all work together as a team to be sure he remains in maximum shape and conditioning. If he's serious about it, and you set the example, he'll do wonderfully.
Nothing wrong with eating healthy, but I don't think a growing boy should be doing any cutting weight.

A growing boy who might have ample bodyfat to lose might do well with cutting weight. No one gave any specifics. It's not uncommon to cut weight even as a Junior Varsity High School Wrestler. I remember many a day as a 15 year-old doing my running with garbage bags under my clothes (this was in the early 90's and I admit I didn't know shit back then). And I wasn't even cutting a whole lot, just have bad genes for storing fat.

He could be moving down ONE weight class, or even two and you're talking about what, 14 lbs? If he's got bodyfat or is just a big kid then there'd be nothing wrong with cutting that weight if done properly.

i say at his age train at his natrual weight not deprive him of a childhood . Some tips though ,

Go for a run 4 mornings a week .
Eat 4-5 small meals a day
No sat fats or suagrs during week days
Give him weekend of everything (let him be a kid)
At his age no supplements except maybe some whey protein powder

King Kabuki said:

KK, usually I agree with you. This, not so much. Everybody is always saying supplementation will only take you the extra 5% if you're already doing 95% of shit right. What 14 year old will do that? And even if they do, should they? Shouldn't they be focusing on their school work and honing their social skills?

Also, this...

I remember many a day as a 15 year-old doing my running with garbage bags under my clothes (this was in the early 90's and I admit I didn't know shit back then). And I wasn't even cutting a whole lot, just have bad genes for storing fat.

I work in education and childhood is hard enough. This dad would do well just to support his kid and let the kid have a well rounded childhood, rather than getting tunnel vision focus on wrestling and nutrition management.

Noob question but I heard this somewhere - Doesnt lifting weights at a young age stun their growth?

KK, usually I agree with you. This, not so much. Everybody is always saying supplementation will only take you the extra 5% if you're already doing 95% of shit right. What 14 year old will do that? And even if they do, should they? Shouldn't they be focusing on their school work and honing their social skills?

Also, this...

How is partaking in a school extra-carricular activity like Wrestling not honing Social skills? He learns to be a team player, the value of sacrifice, and every other social lesson that applies to being part of a team. And I don't know what school system you work in, but the one I went to necessitated you maintain a certain GPA to even be able to play sports. Hence, the question about focusing on schoolwork is a non-factor. What 14 year-old would learn supplementation? A smart one. I have plenty of them that I myself work with on a routine basis through my job.

I work in education and childhood is hard enough. This dad would do well just to support his kid and let the kid have a well rounded childhood, rather than getting tunnel vision focus on wrestling and nutrition management.

Just because you work in education does not give you the right to judge this man. I love how so many of you guys in here come to this board and ask for tips and shit, and so many of you don't even understand you have 14-19 year-olds posting right along with you on a routine basis. Yet when a man comes in here and asks how he can help his son get the information to be a better Wrestler, it's almost all discouragement? Kind of sad.

Wrestling on his school Wrestling team is not going to deprive this man's kid of a childhood. His Father actually BEING THERE to be SUPPORTIVE and help get INFORMATION is not going to deprive him of a childhood. NOTHING this gentleman has said has hinted at ANYTHING like getting tunnel-vision and focusing only on Wrestling. You know, some people didn't even have Fathers around to even ask for this kind of information for us. This guy deserves a medal, not discouragement.

What I find even more hilarious looking back over this thread is that the thread-starter never mentioned weight-cutting OR supplementing (and for everyone's information when I say supplementing I'm talking about protein powder and a multi-vitamin at this age, but thanks for asking before assuming shit), so why that shit was even mentioned I don't know. He asked how the kid should eat to grow muscle and training tips. If the kid Wrestles at all or does anything resembling a workout, he's going to grow muscle, if he eats well he'll grow better muscle.

You guys discouraging this man remind me of the parents who come into my store who tell their kids that protein bars are bad for them, but that they'll buy them a Snickers on the way home.

my bad, Kabuki. I used to study eating disorders in college and one of the huge huge problems was not overweight women, but men cutting weight for sports. I cannot count how many journals and testimonials I read about men 14 to 25 having massive eating disorders because of weight cutting.

I just realized that the father here isn't even talking about that. I guess I"m the one with the tunnel vision; automatically I thought this kid was going to be pressured to cut weight while still a youth. Probably not, I hope, and your garbage bag running is funny if not also alarming...

Im 14 and im a small kid like im maybe 100-110 pounds but im Powerful and ive been training mma for 8 years now You should get him to join a mma school around your place

tell him not to eat junk food. I would recommend some body weight exercieses and to work on flexibility. Anything more is really unnecessary and pointless at 14 . Pushups,pullups, jumping squats and some streching are all he needs at his age.

I just realized that the father here isn't even talking about that. I guess I"m the one with the tunnel vision; automatically I thought this kid was going to be pressured to cut weight while still a youth. Probably not, I hope, and your garbage bag running is funny if not also alarming...

It sucked to do, but you gotta remember this was a different decade. I'm older than a lot of you guys who post here routinely. So this was around...hmmm...1994. Back then we didn't have a lot of innovations. Also I was a big kid. I was 180lbs when I was 12 (and have stretch-marks to prove it). So if I didn't cut weight I would be Wrestling with guys both bigger/stronger, and older than myself, and would have done poorly. But the education was lacking, no Internet full of information. We had Wolfenstein. lol

So the methods were more drastic. But I get parents in my store all the time with their kids who are basketball players, football, swimmers, track, Wrestlers. Hell I had a Wrestler come in last week. Got Muscle Milk and something else (I think a Multi perhaps), and he since IM'ed me to tell me he won his most recent match and is improving. His father was with him the night he bought it.

Another good one is the last issue of Flex Magazine (not the one that JUST came out, the one before), if you look in the letters section you'll see a before and after of a kid who is a Football Player from Hollywood, Florida. He's one of my customers. His dad buys all his stuff for him and when his son started out he was 3rd string. This year he's starting and doing really well.

Getting them started young is not wrong if it's just done correctly. If anything I'm honored to help these parents and their kids be stronger and more healthy. Kinda a bit jealous as I didn't get a whole lot of that myself.

yeah, I hear ya on the jealousy thing. Man, my parents believed in "letting me do what I want" which translated into "we're stupid and lazy, and don't give a shit what you do, nor do we want to put any energy into helping your interests".

The parenting I appreciate in this thread, I just got all alarmed about weight cutting as soon as I saw the word "wrestling". My mistake. And how old were you in '94, I was 13.

I was 15, so I got you by two years. Sometimes it hits me like a slap int he face...my God, that was 12 fucking years ago. lol

feed him the following: broccoli, wild salmon, grass fed beef, walnuts, olive oil, blueberries, pumpkin, spinach, tomatoes, turkey breast, and yogurt. focus on getting both protein and fiber in every meal, and supplement with a multi-vitamin and fish oil (fish oil can be taken with each meal IMO). Supplemental protein and creatine aren't going to do any damage, but bare in mind that they are just that: supplements. foster good eating habbits and a healthy diet first.

If he wants to lift (and I think everyone should lift) read the stickies in strength and power. He's old enough, his ball have dropped, it's time for him to start hitting the iron like anyone else. Lift heavy focus on progressing regularly.

He's 14, he's going to grow almost regardless what you do, try to keep him from straining real hard to make weight. If he needs to go up a weight class, consider it an option instead of letting him starve himself to stay where he is. Seemed like all the kids on my high school wrestling team had eating disorders.

King Kabuki said:
I was 15, so I got you by two years. Sometimes it hits me like a slap int he face...my God, that was 12 fucking years ago. lol

12 years........ain't that a fucking trip. I was playing hockey over a decade ago......then again, college feels like a 1000 centuries ago yet it was only two years ago. Time is weird...

What do you use on the stretch marks, btw? From what I've read, you can't do shit about it, I've got some on my arms I wear proudly.

I look at them like battle-scars. I don't really care about it because now that I'm in-shape, it looks like the muscle is what did it.

Back