What should Mir's gameplan be for Overeem?

Maybe new lighter, more mobile Mir should try to stand with Overeem and keep moving and outwork him, avoid toe-to-toe exchanges and look for a takedown later in the fight?

I think this is the best plan. He needs to stick and move, and be "elusive" to the point that he'll probably get boo'd. Then he has to hope Overeem gasses and leaves himself open for an eventual TD or overhand right.

I also like this idea that someone else said "What he did against Kongo might work. Fake the takedown then hammer him with an overhand right."

I still don't like Mir's odds, but with Overeem's chin and gas tank, any decent HW has at least some chance of beating him.

I think it's gotta be to bull rush Overeem. Overeem buckles under pressure as does Frank Mir, so it's going to be the more aggressive guy who gets off first who wins this fight.

I am a huge Frank Mir fan ... I can only think of him catching Overeem with a big punch as his only chance.

He can't take Overeem done, he can't out work him in the clinch (Mir's number one weakness) and he can't technically outstrike Overeem other than maybe landing a wild overhand.

Mir's only chance ... is to stand with Overeem ... ie ... he basically has no chance.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Mir doesn't have the best TD's, and standing with Overeem he will either get KOed in the clinch or picked apart on the outside. His best chance is to hope of big punch to stun Overeem so he can take him down or finish him with strikes. If I was Mir I'd pull guard if it goes to the clinch. I don't think he'd be able to sweep or sub Overeem off his back but there's a chance.

Long time fan afraid Mir's gonna fold, but I suck at picking fights so Mir should in glorious surprising fashion. Game plan - be mean, want blood.

Chin down, hands up. Lots of movement. Don't trade strikes, absorb & look to counter. Get it to the second or third round, Overeem will gas. Grapple with him then.

Weather the storm and stay the fuck off the fence. Wait until Overeem gasses, then hit him with teh jab.

jab to the chin... then follow-up punches on ground.

Nah, I reckon Overeem finishes Mir early.

Mir is going to have to do the same thing to Overeem he did to Kongo. He won't be able to get the takedown, he is technically not as proficient a striker, and he stinks against the cage. I suppose he should probably play defensively and avoid engaging for a bit, hoping to frustrate Alistair a little, then fake a TD and throw an overhand with the weight of his career behind it and hope for the best.

Everyone here is thinking about Overeem-Browne, since that his most recent fight. Overeem did a lot of damage in that fight, but you have to remember his fight with Bigfoot, too. Overeem clowned and tried to play Anderson Silva, but did very little damage before he got caught.

I think he'll be more aggressive vs. Mir (like the Browne fight) since everyone knows Mir's weakness. But you never know. Overeem's 2 straight KO losses (plus many other KO losses in the past) could do things to his mental game and aggression.:icon_arro

Do whatever it takes to make it to round 3 then the fight is his.

Survive and avoid the initial barrage, and pray that Overeem finds a way to lose as usual.

Mir can't really win this fight on his own, he needs Reem to blow it. Which Reem is quite capable of.

BTW love that post about electrifying the cage! So true :icon_lol:

doesnt matter what frank does... this fight will look like carwin vs mir

What he did against Kongo might work. Fake the takedown then hammer him with an overhand right.

"What he did against Kongo" was the first thing that came to my mind, too. If he can keep his hands up, choose his moment, rock him, and then go for a submission, that might well be his best bet. Kongo was a quality striker, although probably not as good as Overeem.

Hmm. Now I want to see Kongo vs. Overeem. Maybe I will once Overeem gets cut by the end of the year and has to sign up with Bellator.

Keep his back as far away from the cage as possible, throw haymakers like a mad ****.

Get injured before and pull out of the fight

This.
I see no way Frank can win this. A submission, as always, but it will be close to impossible for him to get to the ground. And he WILL NOT survive an early onslaught from the Reem.

Overeem has quite a few documented weaknesses, but none that Mir should be able to explore.

If Overeem loses this one, it's probably over in the FC for him. There are not many "big" names out there that pose as little problems to him than Mir.

Mix up takedown attempts and striking, fake one or the other, avoid the clinch at all cost and don't stay too far away either, stay in boxing range. Mir needs to get the takedown or I think he would get TKOed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back