What should I focus more on, W or BJJ?

RealVision116

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Yeah so I'm 15 6 foot and weigh 120 lbs so i'm pretty tall and skinny. I don't know what style I should focus on for my bodytype to be the most dominant in that area when I start mma. Wrestling or Jiu Jitsu? Or maybe even striking?

15? Join the wrestling team, its free and good preparation for not only mma, but for life.

At 15 wrestle. You can always do bjj later. But it's very hard to get good wrestling instruction and competition after you're out of school.

By being a BJJ only guy you can succeed in MMA, by being a wrestling only guy you'll be submitted in every single fight you participate.

So, if you're thinking about MMA, train BJJ first, because sooner or later you will have to train it if you want to be a MMA fighter. It's inevitable.

Also, BJJ focus much more on technique than strength and explosiveness, which would be much more suited to your bodytype.

Do both if you can.Otherwise, like others have said, try wrestling first because it's pretty hard finding a wrestling club (in my area at least).

I'm sure gonna join the wrestling team, but I wasn't sure if that was going to be my main focus. Like when I go out there they won't label me as a world class wrestler or anything like that. Is it possible to be a really good wrestler and really good at BJJ or do you have to focus on one to be really good at that style?

Definitely Wrestling. The teamwork, discipline, and comradery (sp) will last your lifetime. A lot of my bjj buddies wished tell me they wished they wrestled.

Wrestling, being able to consistently put someone on their back is better having a great trianlge imo.

do both... what's stopping you from doing jiu jitsu during the offseason?

At 15 wrestle. You can always do bjj later. But it's very hard to get good wrestling instruction and competition after you're out of school.

this, plus gain 20 pounds you skinny ass

even at 140 you'd be skinny!

The thing is though I don't look as skinny as it sounds. But I do need to gain lots of weight but I worry that it will affect me in a negative way. They always say you're best at your original weight.

The thing is though I don't look as skinny as it sounds. But I do need to gain lots of weight but I worry that it will affect me in a negative way. They always say you're best at your original weight.

there's no such thing as "original weight"

I was born like at 6 pounds...that's my original weight

I find it hard to believe that you aren't as skinny as it sounds, 120 6 foot is skinny

just eat more, lift weights. I wouldn't worry all that much about it. just learn some grappling. weight will just help as long as you aren't fat. you'll find a weight you're comfortable at.

I bulked up to like 190 at one point, i felt slow though so I went back down to 175-180. you'll find your fighting weight range as you get older

Yep I already bought a weight set and everything. It's just hard getting my parents to buy the right foods! But yeah I heard that original weight thing somewhere. Idk.

Yep I already bought a weight set and everything. It's just hard getting my parents to buy the right foods! But yeah I heard that original weight thing somewhere. Idk.

a lot of fighters just like to stick at the size that works for them. if you trained to fight at 170 for 10 years then decided to bulk up to 205...your style would be wrong for your body most likely

wat r u retarded? bjj all the way. if u ever got in a fight w wreslters or strikers u would tool them

Dont listen the these foo's... :)

My son asked me the same question last year and I told him the same thing Im telling you!

Wrestling, free and MMA or BJJ $100-$150 per month! If you can stand the wrestling training you likely will be able to take the MMA training. No sense in finding out that you cant hack a real intense practice for $150/month.

In addition wrestling teaches you how to control the range. Want to take the fight to the ground...you can!
Want to stay on your feet? You can! Get taken down and want to get up? wrestling teaches that too!

Later you can install a way to finish the fight either through submissions or striking. Listen in every style the 1st thing they teach you is to be in the right position..THEN you finish! HS wrestling (folkstyle) is pretty much the style that focuses on position and control the most.

Good luck and let us know how your season goes!

Yeah it'd be super silly not to wrestle while the opportunity is there. Its free, effective, and limited time only. And its one of the most important tools for mma. There's literally no reason not to.

We have a few highschool wrestlers that do bjj during the off season at my gym. They're good at both, so don't think you can't train during the off season.

I keep telling my little cousin whose interested this too, but he's too ADD to listen. lol

Wrestle for now, bjj in the off season and eat a sandwich. At 6' and 120lbs you are freakishly skinny and weak no matter what you think you might look like.

Back