what should i expect?

boboplata***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
this may seem trivial but here it goes:

i've trained no-gi for almost 2 years before. the last 7 months however i trained with the gi exclusively. i know they say that training with the gi can help improve your no-gi game, how true is this? i'm planning to do no-gi in octoberi. i'm fairly athletic & lanky & it has helped me alot with my no-gi game & it was frustrating as hell during the 1st couple of months training with the gi exclusively. have you guys noticed some changes? are they dramatic to the extent that you'll act like the double rainbow guy? can't wait for october. i train in a judo club hence the strict gi policy & i'm looking forward to do bjj again.

I trained no-gi for a little over two years, and just started training gi two months ago. I feel alot faster now, when I take the gi off. I also found it really improved my technique, because there's so many ways to get stuck in a position with the gi (that you can just slide out in no-gi). No worries, your no-gi game will still be there. You'll definately want to roll no-gi b4 the competition, though. Good luck,man

It'll feel a lot easier probably. Less to worry about and easier to move and pass.

I trained no-gi for a little over two years, and just started training gi two months ago. I feel alot faster now, when I take the gi off. I also found it really improved my technique, because there's so many ways to get stuck in a position with the gi (that you can just slide out in no-gi). No worries, your no-gi game will still be there. You'll definately want to roll no-gi b4 the competition, though. Good luck,man

this is what i was thinking too. i was never really a grinder so no-gi really works for my style which is very loose & active.

It'll feel a lot easier probably. Less to worry about and easier to move and pass.

my guard passing is better when i roll with the gi. i rolled recently with my friend who's in a gi top & fightshorts & i can't pass(properly) for shit. i've relied too much on my cartwheels.lol.

I have found that training with the gi will tighten up your no gi game.

I tend to be a lot more "squirley" in no gi and I can bend and slip away from alot of guys. With a gi on, I am forced to stay and work out of more positions. It keeps my body (arms / legs) tighter and provides different handles for sweeps and holds.

i recommend you compete in both at your upcomming tourney. always funner that way imo.

Back