Crime What should happen to Arbery killers?

What should happen to Arbery's killers

• Total voters
I put in the poll what I thought should happen, which I took as a moral view - a gut reaction.

Haven't been following the trial really, so it's not really a definitive view. I'll wait for it to finish and look at it then. Still a bit burned out from following the Rittenhouse one, a bit tuned out. Haven't looked at the law of the state. Looks like Georgia repealed its citizen's arrest law in response to the self defense claim already, which indicates a need to repeal it, whether it is effect or whether it is a lack of clarity, so the case may be more complicated than initially reported. Potential wrinkle.

It's not. The existing citizens arrest law had clear parameters for when and how a citizens arrest could occur. None of them were met in this case.

Not dumb enough to get shot by hillbillies. Got that going for me.

Those Hillbilly's chased him through the street in trucks.

Next time you go to the shop, that could easily be you if you wear the wrong hoody or pants and they have footage from another day that looks like you...
I would have said jogging, but I don't know if you jog.

I comply with anyone who points a gun at me. The only other option is death. The law doesn’t matter in that moment.

Well.....The law sure as shit matters a lot right now. I guess we are going to find out if it's legal in Georgia for people to arm themselves, get in a truck, chase down and threaten to kill an unarmed person on foot who they did not see doing a damned thing.

It's easy to call Arberys choices stupid with hindsight. But you should at least take an objective look at how well stopping and complying with armed white men running them down has worked historically for unarmed black men.

Here is what concerns me the most. If our justice system can't give Arbery and his family justice in this situation, there will be millions of black Georgians and Americans convinced that the only way to get justice is to take it, since it isn't given. And when justice is taken by individuals and groups, society loses it's say and sway over what is fair and reasonable.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that if sufficient justice is not given here, the justice taken will not be fair and reasonable.

Tell ya what, since you are so sure of your position, if Arbery's killers are acquitted, spend the next weekend in Atlanta and comply with any instruction you get from armed assailants. Let me know how it works out for you.

Last edited:
All three are facing a minimum sentence of life in prison. The only thing in question is will they be eligible for parole and even if they are, it'll be 30 years before they're up for it.

Might rinse the taste of the Rittenhouse verdict out of mouths at the Thanksgiving table.

What obligation is he under to comply with orders from 3 armed civilian strangers chasing him in trucks? Would you comply with orders from 3 armed civilian strangers chasing you in trucks?
He was tresspassing in a house that was not his. Instead of sprinting out of the house, and out of the neighborhood, he is morally obligated to stop and explain why he was in the house in their neighborhood.

Those Hillbilly's chased him through the street in trucks.

Next time you go to the shop, that could easily be you if you wear the wrong hoody or pants and they have footage from another day that looks like you...
I would have said jogging, but I don't know if you jog.

I doubt he has to worry.

He seems like somebody that is probably related to everyone else in his little town that he's never left... if you know what i mean.

Spoiler: He's probably a hillbilly inbred.

He was tresspassing in a house that was not his. Instead of sprinting out of the house, and out of the neighborhood, he is morally obligated to stop and explain why he was in the house in their neighborhood.

No he isn't.

However, the white trash in this scenario ARE morally obligated to not run people down on the street and shoot him with a shotgun.

Unfortunately for you (and fortunately for me) that line of thinking has already been legally debunked.

The state of Georgia has clearly and emphatically stated that civilized men have a moral obligation not to jump to the worst possible conclusion and grab your gun and accost your fellow man whom you have not seen commit a crime.

Let this be a lesson to all the other Hillbilly Judge Dreads out there who haven't been been able to get this through their thick skulls somehow.

Last edited:
No, he really wasn't. The law is what we go by, because people's subjective opinions on morals are just that.

Your moral code is so antithetical to me that I won't bother addressing that comment. But he sure as shit is not legally obligated to stop and explain himself to armed men chasing him in trucks.

Back