what separates Bellator from

skeeza00- No on Zuffa ever purchasing them. If Bellator is successful no way Viacom sells them. They'll want successful MMA on Spike. It's the reason they bought Bellator in the first place. So they can have an MMA staple on Spike that THEY control. Why would a giant like Viacom build something to be successful and cash out for what is essentially office petty cash to them while defeating the entire purpose they bought Bellator in the first place? if they are even moderately successful, they are safe.

Viacom isn't SVSE...Zuffa went in there offering way more than they are valued at and they were impressed, never that into it, not big time, and cashed out. If Viacom actually builds a viable competition to the UFC and a successful MMA staple on Spike you think they would just sell to the very company that left them in the position to have to go out and purchase Bellator in the first place? Zuffa aren't the big dicks at a Viacom table. Nobody is impressed by Zuffa money there. If Bellator really starts to heat up like Strikeforce was popularity wise, Viacom is going to invest in it further...not look to cash out for a little over value after putting in all the work and then being back in the same position. It would take a major overhaul of Spike TV for them to part ways with a successful company.

That is why they are different. Even if you ignore the resentment Viacom has towards Zuffa...it would not make sense for them to sell to anybody else..not just Zuffa. If it's not successful and it's branded a failure..then it probably still won't be sold, it will be cancelled.

Bellator is in a unique position because of who bought them and the circumstances of why they were purchased. Compared to Strikeforce who were a side thing for a parent company that aren't big time, you come to them with a huge buyout way above sticker price, they'll shit themselves...which they did.

Last edited:
True. SF, WEC and PRIDE all had savage animal runs.

We all knew Affliction was fucked from the start, though.

I will go out in thin ice and say that was the case for YAMMA too.

:icon_chee

skeeza00- No on Zuffa ever purchasing them. If Bellator is successful no way Viacom sells them. They'll want successful MMA on Spike. It's the reason they bought Bellator in the first place. So they can have an MMA staple on Spike that THEY control. Why would a giant like Viacom build something to be successful and cash out for what is essentially office petty cash to them while defeating the entire purpose they bought Bellator in the first place? if they are even moderately successful, they are safe.

Viacom isn't SVSE...Zuffa went in there offering way more than they are valued at and they were impressed, never that into it, not big time, and cashed out. If Viacom actually builds a viable competition to the UFC and a successful MMA staple on Spike you think they would just sell to the very company that left them in the position to have to go out and purchase Bellator in the first place? Zuffa aren't the big dicks at a Viacom table. Nobody is impressed by Zuffa money there. If Bellator really starts to heat up like Strikeforce was popularity wise, Viacom is going to invest in it further...not look to cash out for a little over value after putting in all the work and then being back in the same position. It would take a major overhaul of Spike TV for them to part ways with a successful company.

That is why they are different. Even if you ignore the resentment Viacom has towards Zuffa...it would not make sense for them to sell to anybody else..not just Zuffa. If it's not successful and it's branded a failure..then it probably still won't be sold, it will be cancelled.

Bellator is in a unique position because of who bought them and the circumstances of why they were purchased. Compared to Strikeforce who were a side thing for a parent company that aren't big time, you come to them with a huge buyout way above sticker price, they'll shit themselves...which they did.

Pretty good analysis.

But if Bellator is determined a failure, I can't imagine Viacom simply dissolving it, unless they absolutely couldn't get someone to pay a dime for it. Even as a money-loser, their collection of contracts and such probably has a positive value. I think Viacom would sell at a positive number rather than simply "cancel" Bellator and make all the fighters free agents.

I will go out in thin ice and say that was the case for YAMMA too.

:icon_chee

Affliction, YAMMA, Kimbo-based EliteXC. All of them were destined for the living death.

But Affliction was great while it lasted.

Affliction, YAMMA, Kimbo-based EliteXC. All of them were destined for the living death.

But Affliction was great while it lasted.

I don't know if I'll ever forgive Barnett for basically canceling Affliction 3. I mean I was a fan of his before, I still love his fights but on a personal level, meh screw him, cancelling a great (on paper, lots of promising fights and big names) and bam he decides to screw his roid cycle for the 3rd time... :icon_conf

Also for Bellator, there have so many reasons to be a solid, long lasting n

As you said, Bellator control their own TV deal (and it's a good one), that's what makes it different

Back