What ruined Tony's career? (Informal Poll)

It's not age/mileage, he moved just as quickly and his defense was better than ever last night. His chin is still there. He has just always been susceptible to being outgrappled, remember he arguably lost to Danny Castillo in his prime. Against Gaethje, is lack of fundamentals caused him to be a punching bag. Against Oliveira and Dariush, his lack of TDD did him in.

was it
a) having his soul taken by Justin Gaethje at UFC 249
b) Connor or Khabib for ruining any chance at an undisputed LW title
c) the wire he tripped over 6 days before UFC 223
d) something else? discuss.

e) Medication he was put on after the restraining order.

I've yet to see anyone mention it but that can fuck you up bigtime.
His skin had a completely different texture to it after he came back from that layoff.

Well he's also a spiritual warrior, fighting multi-dimentional reptilians. That's got to take its toll.

shoop-cowboy-jeremia-johnson-jpg.855215

Attachments

• Shoop Cowboy Jeremia Johnson.jpg
    Shoop Cowboy Jeremia Johnson.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 25
mid 30's at any weight class under 200 is rough to stay relevant

Never that good. The guy was almost getting finished by washed up fighters and guys like Lando coming in on super short notice.

was it
a) having his soul taken by Justin Gaethje at UFC 249
b) Connor or Khabib for ruining any chance at an undisputed LW title
c) the wire he tripped over 6 days before UFC 223
d) something else? discuss.

E. the voices in his walls

Gaethje short circuited his motherboard. More than a few cells were burned out that night, for good. I had a feeling it was over then, I knew it was over vs Do Bronx

Body's is battered and unlike his brain is not made of rubber.

Same as Joe Benavediz for me, too old, Tony has aged really badly the last few years, and his style is so intense and fast paced, its for a younger guy that style. I don't believe his reflexes have been as quick the last few fights, he looks slower to me

Now I know you will say well Dariush is 2 years older, BUT heres the thing.. he does not have that super intense energy style at all. Dariush is very flat footed and quite ploddy, he just throws the basics, not loads of spinning attacks or high energy stuff like Tony.. thats much better for a young guy

It’s always hilarious to me when every time a fighter approaches his late 30s and slows down and Sherdog posters wonder “huh what’s going on?”

Age has a lot to do with it. My reflexes were already shot by the time I reached 36. The body changes....it happens

Age, its not complicated. There are very few top fighters at 36/37, fewer still in the lower weight divisions where age will affect you the most. He peaked a few years ago and should have gotten a title shot then, missed his chance and now its gone forever.

Back